Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Who says AMD card's Linux support is good?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Who says AMD card's Linux support is good? Reply with quote

I would like to have a word with Linux users who say AMD graphic card support is good.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes?

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
yes?

What do you do with your AMD graphics?
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMD/ATI cards are horrible in Linux. So, in response to your thread title. Not me.

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not I. Been there plenty of times, respectable support just never came. So now basically now I'm only interested in Intel if you only need light OpenGL, and nVidia if you want heavy duty OpenGL. AMD would really need to pull a rabbit out of their hats if I were to change that.
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 AMD systems with open source drivers and in total there are less (zero) bugs than on my Intel i915 laptop.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons I will never buy ATI/AMD is their horrible support for their horrible cards.

If you are only going to do half-hearted support you might as well just leave it to the community.

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi

Cold is gods way to tell us to burn more Catholics
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thankfully they do not leave it to the community because otherwise we would not have their superb open source drivers (also the biggest driver inside the Linux kernel).
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
3 AMD systems with open source drivers and in total there are less (zero) bugs than on my Intel i915 laptop.

Do we get OpenCL support?
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so everyone agrees, that the dieing company has horrible support on Linux.

But unfortunately you don't have any options if you're using OpenCL.
zixnub
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depens what your requirements are.

For old cards you are stuck with the open source drivers. They are pretty good and stable (kms support! Hello Nvidia?) but lack descent feature support (eg not so greate opengl performance). For new cards you are stuck with the closed source drivers. They have descent opengl (not so great as nvidia) support but are limited in features.

The main reason nvidia is so great because they pretty much rewrote half the X server in their video driver. However they don't care about the moving landscape of linux graphics so you don't get kms and whatnot.

So if you have an older computer/laptop with ati/amd and you don't plan on using it for gaming. The open source driver will do just fine, including compositing and light opengl.
If you plan on using the latest and greatest hardware on linux, get nvidia. Just know that you won't be able to use wayland soon on this machine (but wayland won't become mainstroom soon either so whatever)
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
yes?

ut2004
vegastrike
Dungeons of Dredmore (steam)
Shadowrun Returns (steam)

desktop stuff.

HD5770

Everything works fine. S3 works reliable, I only reboot to change kernels.

All the nay sayers:

you are idiots.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:

All the nay sayers:

you are idiots.

Such a lovely contributor to the forums.

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

All the nay sayers:

you are idiots.

Such a lovely contributor to the forums.

so... how is nvidia support?

there isn't any. Not with free drivers.

AMD at least gives documentation.

aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
so... how is nvidia support?

Solid, fast, stable, complete, works.

energyman76b wrote:
there isn't any. Not with free drivers.

I can live without free drivers.

energyman76b wrote:
AMD at least gives documentation.

I like complete drivers better.
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
dE_logics wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
yes?

ut2004
vegastrike
Dungeons of Dredmore (steam)
Shadowrun Returns (steam)

desktop stuff.

HD5770

Everything works fine. S3 works reliable, I only reboot to change kernels.

All the nay sayers:

you are idiots.

So you don't complain, when you're playing games from 2004, 2-d games, low-graphics RPG games etc... and desktop effects which are not a challenge for even the most lower end Intel graphics all running on your 110 W AMD graphics card which can otherwise play likes of games like Crysis 3 (considered having one of the best graphics in 2013) with all settings maxed out at HD resolution.

You're doing this and not complaining, when the card is capable of running this. And I'm not even talking about GPGPU.

Such intelligence. No wonder the satisfaction.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the moment my whole desktop, including my sreen is using less than 100W. What was your point again?

And 'complete' drivers are drivers that support the whole range, on all current kernels.

Nvidia doesn't do that.

So spare me that nonesense.

I used Nvidia for long enough - and one thing that never worked with the oh so great nvidia drivers was S3. Just for example.

Why should I go back? To support a company that behaves like total assholes? Nope, I put my money into the pockets of companies who actually support open source and open standards.

genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zixnub wrote:
So if you have an older computer/laptop with ati/amd and you don't plan on using it for gaming.

Replace 'old' with 'last generation' - and also realise that most of the time, last generation chips are still used in subsequent cheap and mainstream GPU series and are perfectly fine for gaming. And the open source drivers meanwhile even manage to surpass Catalyst in several benchmarks.

It is true that AMD is often slow to support 'latest generation' GPUs in their open drivers, however they are first to deliver HSA support for the kernel at the time we are discussing here.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
And 'complete' drivers are drivers that support the whole range, on all current kernels.

If you're still rolling a GeForce 4 then God help you, or nouveau, whichever.

energyman76b wrote:
I used Nvidia for long enough - and one thing that never worked with the oh so great nvidia drivers was S3. Just for example.

S3 works just fine.

energyman76b wrote:
Why should I go back? To support a company that behaves like total assholes? Nope, I put my money into the pockets of companies who actually support open source and open standards.

Then enjoy laughable performance and flaky feature/application support. Ideological purity is nice, but working and fast is nicer.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
If you're still rolling a GeForce 4 then God help you
Are you referring to playing games, or some other problem? I think I have a GeForce 4 of some kind, but I don't play games. I just look for an inexpensive card capable of most desktop tasks (including video playback) that doesn't suck down eleventy gigawatts.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Are you referring to playing games, or some other problem? I think I have a GeForce 4 of some kind, but I don't play games. I just look for an inexpensive card capable of most desktop tasks (including video playback) that doesn't suck down eleventy gigawatts.

Well in the GeForce 4 days (which was a long long long long long time ago now), it was pretty much a gamers card, so yeah. But in general, that thing was an AGP card, which requires an AGP motherboard, which requires an AGP era CPU, which means your computer is a giant steaming pile of energy wasting crap, and you should throw it in a scrap yard.
zixnub
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my gf has an nvidia optimus card. All I had to to was checkout a github project do a manual compile and lots of other fun stuff to get opengl working.

nvidia really gives the greatest support.
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zixnub wrote:
my gf has an nvidia optimus card. All I had to to was checkout a github project do a manual compile and lots of other fun stuff to get opengl working.

Well, Optimus is a prime example of a feature not working on Linux for years, Nvidia not getting it right several times, then in the end profiting from the work of the kernel devs.
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
at the moment my whole desktop, including my sreen is using less than 100W. What was your point again?

Nvidia doesn't do that.

So spare me that nonesense.

My point was you will never complaint about things which you never used.

The Nvidia drivers is also supposed to work on all kernels. There's no such specific requirement. Mismatches are bugs and sometimes require updates, speaking of which there're a lot of un-repored and uncaired for bugs AMD has.

S3 may not work on Nvidia legacy hardware, legacy hardware for which AMD has dropped supported for in the 1st place. Search for gtx 750 standby problems and you'll find nothing.

But for things that you do with your graphics, Intel HD is enough.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
Well in the GeForce 4 days (which was a long long long long long time ago now), it was pretty much a gamers card, so yeah. But in general, that thing was an AGP card, which requires an AGP motherboard, which requires an AGP era CPU, which means your computer is a giant steaming pile of energy wasting crap, and you should throw it in a scrap yard.
Ah, OK. It isn't one of those (perhaps my prior card was). I don't have AGP.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: