View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Time fixed a 30 years bug Reply with quote

This is the bug.
And this is the solution.

Now people must update their minds with the correct info and stop suffering stupid restrictions. Next step is teach Paleo for nutritionists.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what other "scientific certainties" we'll learn were wrong.

Paleo seems like an engineered fad.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can read several meta-analysis like this one or single scientific articles and come to the conclusion that animal fat was never bad to your health. Or by seeing native populations that most eats *natural* foods, mainly animal fat and have no healthy problems (like the natives of French Polynesia without our diet).

The bug is not about "fat is bad" or "fat is good". The bug is: fat always were good, never proved bad and even this way, TIME published as "fat is bad".

Fad is the pyramidal diet, invented 50 years ago. Ignoring the way we ate for 100,000 years. Or do you think old Europe guys ate plants and carbohydrate based food (like grains from the pyramidal diet) instead of hunted meat, poultry and fish? Maybe the caveman separate the meat from the fat.... not.

Paleo today is technically the best diet, but the pyramidal is the 'politician' diet. It's the life, sometimes you have masses of Windows users that would be safer with Linux and don't known (and fuck what is technically superior about safety...)
unK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or do you think old Europe guys ate plants and carbohydrate based food (like grains from the pyramidal diet) instead of hunted meat, poultry and fish? Maybe the caveman separate the meat from the fat.... not.

And also, mean life expectancy was a lot lower back then (yes, there were a lot more hazards, so it obviously wasn't only diet-related, but probably the correlation was there).
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The so-called "paleo" diet is bullshit. The most recent archaeological analysis of human remains and cave sediments indicates they ate plenty of vegetables and fruits when they could get them. A true "paleo" diet would be a balanced diet of a wide variety foods as close to their natural and fresh forms as possible.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unK wrote:
Quote:
Or do you think old Europe guys ate plants and carbohydrate based food (like grains from the pyramidal diet) instead of hunted meat, poultry and fish? Maybe the caveman separate the meat from the fat.... not.

And also, mean life expectancy was a lot lower back then (yes, there were a lot more hazards, so it obviously wasn't only diet-related, but probably the correlation was there).

if you survived the first couple of years you could have a long life. If you were a man. Women had a second dying wave with their first pregnancy - but if they got past that, grand-grand children, here we come.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
The so-called "paleo" diet is bullshit. The most recent archaeological analysis of human remains and cave sediments indicates they ate plenty of vegetables and fruits when they could get them. A true "paleo" diet would be a balanced diet of a wide variety foods as close to their natural and fresh forms as possible.
Yes, this is correct. The problem is some people think paleo diet is 'eat just animals'. Paleo is about eating animals, vegetables and fruits (you can eat even nuts). In the past, fruits were ate just in the season that it was mature. Vegetables too. Of course there was places with a full variety of vegetables and fruits all year, this places human being could always consume beyond animals and not just in specifics epochs.

Paleo is about remove grains and processed food. The more natural your diet are, the better. Since paleo is just a model, it's not perfect. We have the 'gray' area, with dairy as example. 'Life expectancy' is not a good way to measure paleo. I think the absense or vey little of diabetes, obesity, heart disease and metabolic syndrome in people with this diet are better (compared with other diets of course).
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:

The fad is saying that grains should be the base of the pyramid. Anyone that has ever raised livestock knows that the last couple of months before butchering, you feed your beef or pig or whatever a lot of grain. That will fatten them up.

Veggies are great, along with limited fruit. Protein is the way to go. Grains are bad. Limiting your grain intake is one of the best ways to lose weight and feel healthier.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Limiting your grain intake is one of the best ways to lose weight and feel healthier.

Indeed. I consume very few sugars or grains (outside of booze) and at 6'2", I'm right around 190 lbs. I do, however, eat lots of meat, drink milk, and use real butter and cheese often.

The less processed the food is, the better.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your gut flora is also inherited and probably better at processing food that your ancestors ate. yes you can change it, but what I am trying to say is that mediterranean food works for me, but it may be crap for someone else. Eat as close to natural stuff that grows around you as possible.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it weren't for black guys, fat chicks wouldn't be able to reproduce, and natural selection would take care of the problem. The problem is that women have evolved to fool men; they stay thin and pretty long enough to make a baby or two, and then fucking WHAAAM!!, it's like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man. Then they still want to be treated like a princess and start thinking they're being discriminated at work for being a woman (no, before you were having it easy because every kisses ass of a pretty girl; now if you're being discriminated against, it's not for being a woman, it's for being ugly, you Aurochs).
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
your gut flora is also inherited and probably better at processing food that your ancestors ate. yes you can change it, but what I am trying to say is that mediterranean food works for me, but it may be crap for someone else. Eat as close to natural stuff that grows around you as possible.
It's like the lactose problem. We have more and more people that tolerates well lactose at a very slow rate. Maybe 5000 years in future the majority of population will be tolerant? I think the flora 'evolution' must be quicker than lactose tolerance adaptation.

It would be very nice to have a time machine and see what happened in future, what kind of adaptations humans suffered... :D
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humanity will be knocked back into the Mesolithic by the remainder of the present ice age. "Modern man" is merely a passing phenomenon of the current interglacial period.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudregues wrote:
Paleo today is technically the best diet
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
Humanity will be knocked back into the Mesolithic by the remainder of the present ice age. "Modern man" is merely a passing phenomenon of the current interglacial period.

Finally!
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:

when they could get them is the key word here. they would not always do so - and they lived. plus, if there is strong evidence humans ate like this for thousands of years consistently, paleo is likely to adapt to that. it's based on scientific evidence and will adjust, it's not a religion where they think they are smarter than everyone else.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudregues wrote:
Paleo is about eating animals, vegetables and fruits

You forgot insects
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoshi314 wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

when they could get them is the key word here. they would not always do so - and they lived. plus, if there is strong evidence humans ate like this for thousands of years consistently, paleo is likely to adapt to that. it's based on scientific evidence and will adjust, it's not a religion where they think they are smarter than everyone else.

It not so much a case of human (i.e. hominid, primate, ape) dietary requirements adapting as behavior adapting. The hominin which survived where those which could find alternative sources of their nutritional requirements. If they could no longer get foo and bar from fruit and nuts, but were able to adapt their behavior such that they could get foo and bar from grubs and roots, then they survived in (or were able to expand into) regions where their habitual fruits and nuts were not (or were no longer) available. Note that there was never a time when apes roamed across the entire earth, but Homo Erectus did so. The reason there are still apes around is because there are still some environments which provide what they (we) need(ed). A somewhat more ominous reminder of the limits of evolution is that Neanderthals and Denisovans, which were the dominant hominid species after H. Erectus, were both fewer in number and less far-flung than H. Erectus. In other words, you can only adapt so far.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
yoshi314 wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

It not so much a case of human (i.e. hominid, primate, ape) dietary requirements adapting as behavior adapting. The hominin which survived where those which could find alternative sources of their nutritional requirements. If they could no longer get foo and bar from fruit and nuts, but were able to adapt their behavior such that they could get foo and bar from grubs and roots, then they survived in (or were able to expand into) regions where their habitual fruits and nuts were not (or were no longer) available. Note that there was never a time when apes roamed across the entire earth, but Homo Erectus did so. The reason there are still apes around is because there are still some environments which provide what they (we) need(ed). A somewhat more ominous reminder of the limits of evolution is that Neanderthals and Denisovans, which were the dominant hominid species after H. Erectus, were both fewer in number and less far-flung than H. Erectus. In other words, you can only adapt so far.

well, if you need a wooly rhino or a mammoth a day, your range and number must be quite small.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Last edited by energyman76b on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
porodzila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am basically restricted to a Paleolithic diet now that im allergic to wheat. I eat some other grains here and there, but its mostly meat and veggies now.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:

Oh god, does that mean I'd be better off eating lingonberries and pickled herring?
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Prenj wrote:

Oh god, does that mean I'd be better off eating lingonberries and pickled herring?

Lingonberries & sill is awesome :)
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only had lingonberries once: on raw reindeer meat. I didn't see what the fuss is all about.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:
yoshi314 wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

well, if you need a wooly rhino or a mammoth a day, your range and number must be quite small.

If you eat migratory animals, you follow the herd.

If you can eat a mammoth a day, then you are so large that you probably have a 'suspensor belt' like Baron Vladimir Von Harkonnen, and moving around is not an issue.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:
yoshi314 wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

If you eat migratory animals, you follow the herd.

If you can eat a mammoth a day, then you are so large that you probably have a 'suspensor belt' like Baron Vladimir Von Harkonnen, and moving around is not an issue.

if you remove the fur, teeth and bones there isn't much left. Like eagles. Remove the bill and the feathers and you got a starved turkey.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: