[COMCAST] "I'm just trying to help you"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: [COMCAST] "I'm just trying to help you" Reply with quote

Man records nightmarish attempt to cancel cable, Comcast apologizes

Quote:
Deciding to cancel a cable service subscription can be difficult -- breaking the news to the cable company can be near-impossible.
Tech journalist Ryan Block and his wife Veronica Belmont tried to cancel their Comcast service last week over the phone.

Block says 10 minutes into his frustrating conversation with the Comcast customer service representative, he started recording the phone call, which he posted on SoundCloud.

The representative, whose name Block withheld, repeatedly demanded to know why Block would want to cancel the service.

Block tells WTOP he and his wife told the representative they wanted to change providers, before the recording began.

Several times the agent said "I'm just trying to understand," although Block's statements were clearly understandable.

"It sounds like you don't want to go over this information with me," says the representative.

"I am declining to state why we are leaving Comcast, because I don't owe you an explanation," Block said patiently.

"We are the number one provider of Internet and TV service in the entire country," continues the rep. "Why is that you're not wanting to have the number one service?"

"I'm just trying to figure out what it is about Comcast service that you're not liking, and not wanting to keep," states the agent.

Block asked the representative to simply cancel the service, but the agent countered with "I'm just trying to help you."

Contacted by WTOP, Jenni Moyer, senior director of corporate communications network & operations apologized.

"We are very embarrassed by the way our employee spoke with Mr. Block and are contacting him to personally apologize," says Moyer.

Here's the Soundcloud recording

The part in bold doesn't pass the smell test. The reason why he was acting like a total douchebag was company policy. Why would he, as a person, care at all why a customer is leaving? He doesn't personally own Comcast. So it's quite obvious that they are trained to be annoying and frustrating to keep bleeding the customer's credit cards for as long as possible.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: [COMCAST] "I'm just trying to help you" Reply with quote

Quote:
So it's quite obvious that they are trained to be annoying and frustrating to keep bleeding the customer's credit cards for as long as possible.
++

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's more than just training, though, I'm sure customer service reps have financial incentives to badger customers into staying.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
I'm sure it's more than just training, though, I'm sure customer service reps have financial incentives to badger customers into staying.

Which is why I mentioned policy before training.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to note I finally (long boring story) was able to drop Comcast last month. I've worked in a call center for an ISP and know what the "saves" department is like and what kind of stresses they are under, and what HUGE FAT BONUSES they get as well. I called up to cancel and when I was asked the same question about why I was canceling I calmly stated "you don't want to hear why I am canceling" and instantly the tone of the Comcast "saves" representative changed and they promptly and helpfully cancelled my service. One simply needs to know what they are dealing with in order to know how to deal with it. Trying not to dance the dance they are trained to do won't work. Informing them that you are ready to do a dance they don't want to do always works! If you make it clear that you are not going to be one of their many "saves" for the day they will realize it is in their own best interest to cancel your service quickly so they can move on to the next caller that might be steam-rolled.

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comcast's Nightmare Customer Service Agent 'Did What We Paid Him To Do,' Says Exec

I knew their initial apology was bullshit.
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loldoingcontractualstuffviaphone

I hope he was charged 1$ a minute for the phonecall.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Comcast's Nightmare Customer Service Agent 'Did What We Paid Him To Do,' Says Exec

I knew their initial apology was bullshit.
I still wouldn't voluntarily choose Comcast, but kudos to the COO for admitting they're so awful.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comcast is getting ripped in Chattanooga

When Comcast customers are presented with a choice, they leave. The article is from 2011. As of today, Comcast has at least 20+ billboards up in my town bragging that their internet is the fastest with 50 Mbps download, when EPBfi carries up to 1 Gbps. They lie, cheat, and bully to keep and get new customers. It's even worse here.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigun wrote:
Comcast is getting ripped in Chattanooga

When Comcast customers are presented with a choice, they leave. The article is from 2011. As of today, Comcast has at least 20+ billboards up in my town bragging that their internet is the fastest with 50 Mbps download, when EPBfi carries up to 1 Gbps. They lie, cheat, and bully to keep and get new customers. It's even worse here.
I'd love to see a co-op started. It is time for interests other than irresponsible boards and golden parachutes.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: