Suspend to disk with cuda?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justin_brody
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Suspend to disk with cuda? Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been running a fairly long computation for about 5 days now; it looks like it wants another 7. People are coming in to fiddle with the electricity tomorrow. I can restart the computation if need be, but I'm wondering if I could easily use suspend-to-disk for this? One possible catch is that a lot of the computation is on the GPU right now -- will suspend-to-disk still work?
Telemin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge GPU RAM is not saved anywhere as it is usually irrelevant to the system state, (i.e it just contains render info for the current and upcoming video frames).

In any case, as a long time user of numerical computing myself my main question would have to be, why risk it? If as you say you can write out your current state to disk and resume safely, do that. It's not worth the risk to lose a week of computation time surely?

-Telemin-
justin_brody
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the response Telemin; sort of what I suspected.

When I talked about restarting the computation I actually meant starting the whole thing over, which is what I wound up doing. Not the end of the world since I can't really analyze the results right now anyway. But I should probably spend the time to put code in there to let it resume computations in these situations.

Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: