EccoPro (a PIM) installation unable to initialize w/ Wine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhinds
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: EccoPro (a PIM) installation unable to initialize w/ Wine Reply with quote

Wine installed fine and I used it to install and run 2 Windows applications I use w/ no problems, but the EccoPro installation application won't open. This is what I get when I try:

Code:
modify_ldt: Invalid argument
err:winediag:build_module Failed to create module for "krnl386.exe", 16-bit LDT support may be missing.
err:module:attach_process_dlls "krnl386.exe16" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winevdm.exe" failed, status c0000142

Crossover sometimes works on distros that won't install Ecco and I have a v. 11 bin of it but no ebuild for it exists and I wasn't able to emerge v. 12 of it since I have no bin file for it and the current version is 13, with no access to the codeweavers archives that I can see.

Any help provide for fixing this will be appreciated.

Preferably, I'd like to get Wine to work (although getting v. 11 or 12 of Crossover to install might solve this also).

These are not games but the principle is the same (it's a Windows app) so I posted to this section.

TIA

Running recent 64 bit version w/ XFCE
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all those 16's in that log, I wonder about the status of Wine running those really ancient 16-bit Windows applications...
I guess it is possible still to run it for some old kernels... but I saw http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Kernel-3-14-Breaks-Wine-for-16-bit-Windows-Applications-447273.shtml hope that's not the problem you're seeing...
dhinds
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
With all those 16's in that log, I wonder about the status of Wine running those really ancient 16-bit Windows applications...
I guess it is possible still to run it for some old kernels... but I saw http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Kernel-3-14-Breaks-Wine-for-16-bit-Windows-Applications-447273.shtml hope that's not the problem you're seeing...

Thanks for your response. The article you link to emphasizes that 16 bit apps like Ecco run better on Linux systems than on Microsoft's newer OS's and it is installed on the Debian Testing and Arch based systems which have been updated recently - but maybe not the kernel.

If this is the problem ALL new distros are going to suffer and (I quote the article):

Quote:
Linus Torvalds and the leader of the Wine project are talking about this issue, and a solution might be found eventually

Hopefully, soon.

Thanks again.
dhinds
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: 3.14 Kernel Problem SOLVED Reply with quote

dhinds wrote:
eccerr0r wrote:

Thanks for your response. The article you link to emphasizes that 16 bit apps like Ecco run better on Linux systems than on Microsoft's newer OS's and it is installed on the Debian Testing and Arch based systems which have been updated recently - but maybe not the kernel.

If this is the problem ALL new distros are going to suffer and (I quote the article):

Quote:
Linus Torvalds and the leader of the Wine project are talking about this issue, and a solution might be found eventually

Five months later, I can say that the problem I ran into did in fact come from 3.14 kernel, which I attempted to solve by dropping back to 3.12, which broke my network connection, so that was the end of the story, for a while. I avoided installing any distro with (or upgrading to) the 3.14 kernel

I recently installed the December 3rd iso of Calculate XFCE Overlay of Gentoo (which still has the 3.14 kernel) on another machine, and the problem persisted. But it vanished after installing the 3.16 kernel and rebooting.

In fact, thanks to this forum (which alerted me to the source of the problem), EVERYTHING works so well that it has become the main system on my main desktop machine.

The 3.16 kernel is considered unstable by the Calculate maintainers but I have had no problems what-so-ever with it.

Thanks.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Someone, allegedly a kernel developer, dropped this on the WineHQ channel not so many days ago, hoping someone would test their favourite 16-bit application with these changes: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=00c89b2f1111b61e924f49fc79b7d9851fce249d

I did not, and have not followed up on it since, but I believe it's work towards fixing the issues with such applications, and might be of interest to someone like you, so I'll leave it here. ^^

I've not tested it out myself, yet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: