[SOLVED] Gaming
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balisong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Gaming Reply with quote

I don't really know if i should put this here but if this sub-forum is wrong i ask the moderators to replace it.

That being said i have problems with gaming on gentoo. My pc is fairly low on configuration but i have played really good games on it ( Skyrim ). Now i know gaming on linux is not that good but still i have lags on the snes emulator with higher resolution than 640 x 480 playing Zelda or Mario World.

Now i decided i want to play a little psx games and downloaded ePSXE which i use with wine (couldn't install pcsxr) and i got Suikoden II. Its running really slow with higher resolution than 500 x 300 in windowed mode which i had to setup manualy.

I want some tips here on how can i make my gaming experience better. For instance how to know if i have the proper VGA drivers installed ( or the other drivers for that matter ), is wine making the problems ( i had better experience with it on other distros like "Ubuntu" ). Please help me i think i'm not asking much for wanting to play games 10 or even 20 years older.

Last edited by Balisong on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first you want to test your system to make sure it's setup properly. You should try installing xscreensaver with opengl support enabled and try those screensavers that do 3D graphics. They will be dreadfully slow if your GPU is not set up correctly. There are also native built Linux 3D games, you can try Tuxracer or even speed-dreams to test.

The other thing is you want to look through portage to see if they have a Linux native port of the emulator, snoop through /usr/portage/app-emulation to see if there's a Gentoo port.

Because emulation requires quite a bit to get 'right' you need to have as clean an interface to the OS as possible. Having to go through Wine doesn't give you that clean interface (especially timer events) which will cause emulation to behave strangely.
mackal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What issues are you having with emerging pcsxr?

It emerged here fine, didn't try to play any games, but it did launch fine.

You might also considering adding gamerlay and hasufell's overlays, they have some extra game stuff that for whatever reason, hasn't ended up in the main tree.

Personally most of my emulation is done through RetroArch. I have an overlay set up for myself, but you'll have to add it manually. (https://github.com/mackal/libretro-overlay) I should actually bother someone to look over those :P
Balisong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies but it seems my stupidity prevailed again.

I as a newbie went for the easier approach by trying some cheap youtube videos of improving fps on ePSXE and came here crying for help but was so stupid not to read the nvidia wiki page "Duh".

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVidia/nvidia-drivers

^ This solved my problem it seems i didn't enabled openGL and openCL when i installed the driver and even more importantly i didn't enable my user to the video group.

I am sorry for this and next time ill do more research before posting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: