How to resolve net-libs/libsoup:2.4 conflict? [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: How to resolve net-libs/libsoup:2.4 conflict? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I have the following conflict I can't figure out how to resolve. Any help would be appreciated!
Code:
net-libs/libsoup:2.4

(net-libs/libsoup-2.42.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=net-libs/libsoup-2.42.0:2.4[introspection?] required by (net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.0.4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(net-libs/libsoup-2.40.3::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    ~net-libs/libsoup-2.40.3[introspection?] required by (net-libs/libsoup-gnome-2.40.3::gentoo, installed)

As I read this, the conflict is because net-libs/libsoup-gnome-2.40.3 will accept only ~net-libs/libsoup-2.40.3. All my other installed packages which want net-libs/libsoup use the '>=' modifier - not '~'.

I traced the dependency requirements for libsoup-gnome and ulitmately, both 'lxde' and 'xfce-4' {both of which I have installed} require libsoup-gnome somewhere in their respective dependency trees.

Currently, emerge refuses to upgrade the webkit-gtk package:
Code:
!!! The following update(s) have been skipped due to unsatisfied dependencies
!!! triggered by backtracking:

net-libs/webkit-gtk:3

Any suggestions? Removing packages is possible though I'm currently using the xfce-4, razor-qt and kde-4 windows managers.

Last edited by dufeu on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
euduca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem :cry:

Code:
"[blocks B      ] net-libs/libsoup-gnome ("net-libs/libsoup-gnome" is blocking net-libs/libsoup-2.42.2)
[blocks B      ] >=net-libs/libsoup-2.42 (">=net-libs/libsoup-2.42" is blocking net-libs/libsoup-gnome-2.40.3)
[blocks B      ] <dev-lang/vala-0.20.0 ("<dev-lang/vala-0.20.0" is blocking dev-libs/gobject-introspection-1.36.0)

Total: 147 packages (113 upgrades, 28 new, 2 in new slots, 4 reinstalls, 5 uninstalls), Size of downloads: 1,039,630 kB
Conflict: 10 blocks (3 unsatisfied)

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

gnome-base/gnome-desktop:3

(gnome-base/gnome-desktop-3.8.3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=gnome-base/gnome-desktop-3.8.0:3 required by (gnome-base/gnome-core-libs-3.8.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (and 4 more with the same problem)

(gnome-base/gnome-desktop-3.6.2::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    gnome-base/gnome-desktop:3/4= required by (gnome-extra/gnome-color-manager-3.6.1::gentoo, installed)
    >=gnome-base/gnome-desktop-3.1.91:3/4= required by (gnome-extra/gnome-screensaver-3.6.1::gentoo, installed)

net-libs/libsoup:2.4

(net-libs/libsoup-2.42.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=net-libs/libsoup-2.42.1:2.4 required by (www-client/epiphany-3.8.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (and 10 more with the same problem)

(net-libs/libsoup-2.40.3::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    ~net-libs/libsoup-2.40.3[introspection?] required by (net-libs/libsoup-gnome-2.40.3::gentoo, installed)
"
sangoule
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the libsoup issue as well.
This thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-962084-highlight-libsoup.html seemed pretty complicated, so I kept searching.
The boost issue I was having led me to this thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-965548-highlight-boost.html.
I ended up masking a bunch of >=gnome*-3.8 packages, >net-libs/gnome-online-accounts-3.8.2, =icu-51.2, switched gcc up to 4.7.3,
adding --backtrack=50 to the emerge command, and now world is finally merging!
Good luck.

Code:

/etc/portage/package.mask: 

=dev-libs/icu-51.2

>=gnome-base/gdm-3.8
>=gnome-base/gnome-3.8
>=gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.8
>=gnome-base/gnome-core-apps-3.8
>=gnome-base/gnome-core-libs-3.8
>=gnome-base/gnome-desktop-3.8
>=gnome-base/gnome-extra-apps-3.8
>=gnome-base/gnome-keyring-3.8
>=gnome-base/gnome-session-3.8
>=gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.8
>=gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.8
>=gnome-base/libgnome-keyring-3.8
>=gnome-base/nautilus-3.8

>=gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-3.8
>=gnome-extra/gnome-contacts-3.8
>=gnome-extra/gnome-documents-3.8
>=gnome-extra/gnome-tweak-tool-3.8
>=gnome-extra/nautilus-sendto-3.8
>=gnome-extra/sushi-3.8
>=gnome-extra/yelp-xsl-3.8

>=mail-client/evolution-3.8

>=net-im/empathy-3.8

>net-libs/gnome-online-accounts-3.8.2

Code:

emerge -aDNuv --backtrack=50 --keep-going world
waterloo2005
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meet the same problem. Now I conquer it .

Error about 'vala' is because net-libs/gssdp need ~ arch in package.keywords .(Not about dev-libs/gobject-introspection , I don't know why here it says this. I find this after "emerge -C libsoup, emerge -avuND world, emerge --depclean , revdep-rebuild and emerge gnome-3.8 -av)

For net-libs/libsoup , I emerge -C net-libs/libsoup and run emerge -avuND world , emerge --depclean and revdep-rebuild .
Then emerge libsoup -av1 , and emerge gnome -av . (Now it is OK!)
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as there are blocks listed, ignore the slot conflicts; they are additional information that intend to help but do not express the problem.

euduca wrote:
Code:
[blocks B      ] net-libs/libsoup-gnome ("net-libs/libsoup-gnome" is blocking net-libs/libsoup-2.42.2)

This means that if you have =net-libs/libsoup-2.42.2 that you cannot install net-libs/libsoup-gnome at the same time.

euduca wrote:
Code:
[blocks B      ] >=net-libs/libsoup-2.42 (">=net-libs/libsoup-2.42" is blocking net-libs/libsoup-gnome-2.40.3)

This is the opposite direction of the above, if you have =net-libs/libsoup-gnome-2.40.3, you cannot install >=net-libs/libsoup-2.42 at the same time.

So, using these two blockers; there are two possibilites:

1. You uninstall one or the other package; in order to do this, you need to decide which of both you want. The relevant slot conflict shows reverse dependencies.
2. Switch to a version where they don't block each other; I'm not sure if there is such version, but it seems like <net-libs/libsoup-2.42 is a good start.

Downgrading is sometimes counter-productive, especially if you are trying to upgrade to GNOME 3.8; so, I'm going to assume that that is not an option.

Therefore, option 1 should suffice and you probably could get away with `emerge -C net-libs/libsoup-gnome` or `emerge -C net-libs/libsoup` depending on what packages depend on those.

euduca wrote:
Code:
[blocks B      ] <dev-lang/vala-0.20.0 ("<dev-lang/vala-0.20.0" is blocking dev-libs/gobject-introspection-1.36.0)

=dev-libs/gobject-introspection-1.36.0 cannot be installed together with <dev-lang/vala-0.20.0; so, you want to look if there is >=dev-lang/vala-0.20.0 or whether another version of dev-libs/gobject-introspection allows it. The same as above, we will want to upgrade in the first place and not downgrade; so let's see what we can do about dev-lang/vala. Looks like there is a version 0.20.0 available but it is keyworded ~.

So, in order to solve this; you need to accept keywords for that new version and revisions by simply putting ~dev-lang/vala-0.20.0 in /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resolved this through a re-iterative process of using:
Code:
# equery d category/package
starting with 'net-libs/libsoup-gnome'.

I stepped through all listed dependent packages one at a time. Any package which was listed with no dependencies I then did:
Code:
# emerge --depclean category/dependent package

I then did:
Code:
# emerge -puNDv @world
to check if the conflict went away.

Several points:
  1. The problem dependency package is 'net-libs/libsoup-gnome-2.40.3'. The issue is that this version of libsoup-gnome will only accept 'net-libs/libsoup-2.40.3' and no other.

2. What you're looking for are packages{s} which accept only 'net-libs/libsoup-gnome-2.40.3'. Most packages with libsoup-gnome listed as a dependency will usually accept '>=net-libs/libsoup-gnome-2.XX.X'. This includes
    Code:
    mail-client/evolution-3.8.4-r1 (>=net-libs/libsoup-gnome-2.40.3:2.4)

3. My main work PC is an established PC which has been running a gentoo install for a long time. As such, I originally had the 'gnome' desktop installed while researching what desktop might work best for the visually impaired {definitely not 'gnome' BTW}. Though I removed the 'gnome' desktop and blocked 'gnome3', I still have a number of 'gnome2' packages installed either as undesirable artifacts or as needed dependencies for some wanted packages.

4. I can't use 'emerge --depclean' to clean these up since many of these undesirable packages are registered in @world. {See my post Cruft cleaning questions}

Basically, you need to eliminate all packages which are either directly or indirectly dependent on the 2.40.3 version of 'libsoup-gnome'. After that, 'emerge' should be able to resolve everything else.
diablo465
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mask one atom and

Code:
emerge -avuDN --quiet-build=y --backtrack=50 world

solved my problem
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: