Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Your Gentoo: what init system do you use?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What init system do you use?
All OpenRC (Default init system)
72%
 72%  [ 86 ]
Mostly OpenRC
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
About half OpenRC and half Systemd
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Mostly Systemd
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
All Systemd
16%
 16%  [ 20 ]
Basic SysVinit or something else in portage
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Launchd, Upstart, or something else because I really like pain
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I wrote my own init system, you insensitive clod!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 118

eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who have some one way and some the other...why?

Yes I feel like someday I will be assimilated completely into systemd so I figure I should try to figure it out sooner than later. With Gnome 3 as well.
Why I stuck it onto my i7 (deskstop) and i5 (laptop)? They're t he machines I own with SSDs on them, and wondered what they'll do... have to say... OMG... Boot time? What is boot time? (then again, suspend/resume work fine on these machines.)

My OpenRC systems include my VM server (core2quad), PVR (openrc for now at least, core2duo), two other laptops (atom w/ssd, pentium-m). My virtual server running on my VM server is also openrc as well as my Geode GX1 server.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Yes I feel like someday I will be assimilated completely into systemd so I figure I should try to figure it out sooner than later.

Computer market share is totally own by Windows, i don't have real number but it is not crazy to say more than 80% (when in real i think it should be closer to 90%)

Why aren't you using Windows then?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
For those who have some one way and some the other...why?

eccerr0r ... I don't think its possible to address the question of "why" without bringing politics into it. You're either being disengenious with the above question, or naive in thinking that somehow the why of it is not going to lead in that direction.

best ... khay
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, just wondering about those who wanted to use it on some machines and not others, whether it's the same as me - wanting to see what it's like, or whether it was forced by Gnome3... Those that made all their boxes systemd I can understand because it reduces maintenance costs over all their machines.

Yes I expect repeats of what I ended up doing, but nevertheless.

Remember that Systemd is still FOSS.

And Windows is losing market share...
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenRC, on all my systems. I've seen the direction that SystemD wants to take me, and that way madness lies. So no thanks!

And to those who think that it's inevitable that SystemD will take over the world, isn't that what was said about PulseAudio? Yet, here it is, the middle of 2014, and none of my systems have that software on it and they all play sound very well (you can have my jackd when you pry it from my cold, dead hands ;)). Oops, just veered into politics there! I guess I'll just shut my mouth now. :P
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Those that made all their boxes systemd I can understand because it reduces maintenance costs over all their machines.

SystemD reduces maintenance costs? That's quite an extraordinary claim. Do you have any proof of that sir?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Systemd is less maintenance costs than having a mixture of openrc and systemd machines. I still wonder why people see any bonus in systemd and quick to refute it out of context.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Nah, just wondering about those who wanted to use it on some machines and not others, whether it's the same as me - wanting to see what it's like, or whether it was forced by Gnome3.

eccerr0r ... yeah, sorry, I read that "some one way and some the other" as "one way or the other" and so misunderstood what you were asking.

best ... khay
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamus397 wrote:
isn't that what was said about PulseAudio?

And just now PulseAudio is already forced on you unless you can afford to get rid of skype, see another thread. So the predicition was right. (Currently, one can still use older skype clients, but this will not work forever, for sure).
Aiken
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
And just now PulseAudio is already forced on you unless you can afford to get rid of skype, see another thread.

It is halfway tempting to get rid of skype. In the mean time 4.3 is masked. In the past my experiences with pulseaudio are sitting at 100% of remove pulseaudio with cpu load going down and audio quality going up once it is uninstalled with no loss of functionality for what I do. Which does not leave me wanting to have it installed again.

I am in the openrc on everything camp. 2 headless servers, several desktops and several laptops. No interest in stuffing around with another init system on the headless machines which already work the way I want them and all the others can stay openrc so I am not playing with 2 init systems.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have openrc on all of my systems, because it works. There is (currently) absolutely no reason for me to switch. I have heard the next KDE incantation will make (optional) use of some systemd features (socket activation) if it is installed. So once the new KDE is there, I'll see if I have any advantages by switching to systemd, I won't have any problem doing so.

But it will be the same as with PulseAudio. I have no advantage by using PulseAudio, so I keep it off my systems. Too much of an overkill for an audi-less work station or a laptop. And I never had the need to use Skype, lucky me... ;)
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
All Systemd is less maintenance costs than having a mixture of openrc and systemd machines.

Ah, I see, I misunderstood you. Apologies. I thought you were saying that machines with SystemD have less maintenance costs than other non-SystemD machines--which is definitely not true, at least in my experience! :)
greyspoke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

openrc on a home server because it was the default. systemd on a desktop because I wanted to try Gnome out.

systemd was not too bad to set up and, to be honest, most of the problems I did have were caused by tryiing to understand systemd rather than just getting on with it. I only had to create one .service file, for anacrontab. But in deciding to try Gnome I also realised that I would just have to accept things a certain way and not try to do them differently. I will probably go back to a bare-bones DE in time, and may then revert to openrc. Having experienced systemd, I wouldn't put it on the server as I like to know exactly what is going on there and I still don't feel I do with systemd.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the exact same way... My server (VM server) and the outward facing server (VM on that machine) both are running OpenRC as I'm not quite ready to use systemd. I also hope that it remains a viable option to not use systemd... hopefully forever, or at least when it comes time I have to rebuild the machine AND I understand the inner workings of systemd.

Hopefully working with it on my more "expendable" workstations I'll get more accustomed to working with it.
mackal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the crying people did in the thread/mailing list about upower, I decided to try out systemd. I haven't regretted that decision. Better boot times, a lot of tools all integrated nicely. I also decided to try out the GNOME Classic mode (main reason I didn't before was because of OpenRC) I haven't regretted that decision either.
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
I feel the exact same way... My server (VM server) and the outward facing server (VM on that machine) both are running OpenRC as I'm not quite ready to use systemd. I also hope that it remains a viable option to not use systemd... hopefully forever, or at least when it comes time I have to rebuild the machine AND I understand the inner workings of systemd.

Given that the people behind systemd routinely radically change things without concern for breakage (making it alpha quality at best), I'm not sure it's all that easy to stay up to date on the inner workings without it being a nearly full time job. I want to administer my systems, not spend all of my time keeping up with the latest systemd changes.

IMO, the last place systemd and it's justifications for existence (by its creators) makes any sense is in server systems.

Desktops go through lots of fads... we see stuff get changed all the time, often causing lots of headaches (some of which are directly attributable to the systemd people before systemd existed). Servers need to not only work, but continue working and should really only change once something is stable and proven so. Lots of people got bit by udev (now part of systemd) switching to "predictable and persistent names" only to not be able to ssh into their servers and that's just one example from the minds of these people.
GreatEmerald
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted "all systemd", although technically it's "all but one systemd, and that one is currently compiling its prerequisites". I switched to systemd fairly early and have no intention of switching back. That one system is a tablet that has little space, so I kept OpenRC for a while, but nowadays the size difference doesn't make up for the loss in functionality.
Gatsby
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbassie wrote:
openrc. I wouldn't touch systemd with a shitty stick.

Full ACK. :D

Running here three systems under openrc and no problems so far. :)

Regards,
Gatsby
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenRC on all my Gentoo boxes, though I'd prefer to try runit some time.

I do have an old debian netbook that got their systemd update; it stopped booting properly the same day, and I can't find the root of the problem because it's a twisted mess of little black boxes. It'll be running OpenRC next time I do get it to boot...
Tractor Girl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbassie wrote:
openrc. I wouldn't touch systemd with a shitty stick.

Amen to that :D
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:
Given that the people behind systemd routinely radically change things without concern for breakage (making it alpha quality at best), I'm not sure it's all that easy to stay up to date on the inner workings without it being a nearly full time job. I want to administer my systems, not spend all of my time keeping up with the latest systemd changes.

IMO, the last place systemd and it's justifications for existence (by its creators) makes any sense is in server systems.

I think that, certainly among sys admins that know what they're doing, there will be serious reservations about moving to RHEL 7 because of this.

Because it's bloated, complicated, and tries to do too many things it shouldn't, it stands to reason that, even best case, it will have far more frequent security updates than previous leaner init systems. So what does that translate to?...an ass-ton of reboots that used to be required only for important kernel fixes. Worst case of course is that security flaws in that inexcusably complex code will be discovered by the wrong people...don't have to tell you where that goes.

I have to ask...are others here as dumb-founded about the decision to move to a Windows-event-log-esq logging system as I am? As many times as I think about that it actually stuns me more every time. Too insane to comprehend.

Don't get me wrong though. I can't fault anyone for using systemd on a workstation if they need to...for example if they really want to use Gnome 3 etc. I do however think that they should think twice, as this whole thing really is moving closer and closer to Windows in all the worst ways. I'm also thrown by the whole "faster boot times" argument, seeing as how I'm on an 11 year old x86 box right now that can get to my fluxbox desktop (with apache, mysql, and all sorts of web development stuff running) in less that 30 seconds.
GreatEmerald
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ There goes the "NO POLITICS here" idea...
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreatEmerald wrote:

Those are all technical criticisms, with reasoning given.

Granted he doesn't think like you do, but at least he gives reasons other than hypothetical "missing functionality."

So from where I'm sitting, your post is far more "political", since it offers no reasoning, only asserts superiority with no justification given. You know, based on your usage and what you can suddenly do now that you can't when running openrc. Due to its "missing functionality."
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have switched everything, 2 laptops and 2 desktops, to systemd.
Personally, I prefer openrc. In my opinion it is more in sync with the philosophy behind the original development of the gnu userland with gpl.
I am old enough to remember my excitement when I learnt that this project had started and my pleasure when I was first able to use it with the linux kernel.

However I fear that it will be increasingly harder to maintain systems without openrc, so I made the switch to systemd.

Having said that, systemd seems to perform just fine.

I am following "Ye Olde Gentoo" with interest as I was perfectly happy in the old days with a static /dev

PS I am very suspicious of Red Had because I got very badly bitten by their gcc-2.96 about 10 years ago, which caused me great deal of wasted effort in my own work.
(cf https://lkml.org/lkml/2000/12/14/154) I can only hope that systemd will be more reliable than that.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
GreatEmerald wrote:

Those are all technical criticisms, with reasoning given.

Granted he doesn't think like you do, but at least he gives reasons other than hypothetical "missing functionality."

So from where I'm sitting, your post is far more "political", since it offers no reasoning, only asserts superiority with no justification given. You know, based on your usage and what you can suddenly do now that you can't when running openrc. Due to its "missing functionality."

Thanks for this...You know, I was actually going to reply to that myself back when it was posted, questioning why it's suddenly "political" the minute anyone disagrees with any systemd user, for technical reasons. I didn't only because, ironically, it seemed as though doing so would itself cause accusations of being political...which seems to be the endless circle these discussions get swept into. That whole trend is getting really really old. You're spot on about that whole "missing functionality" mantra too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: