FIXED sys-power/upower is blocking sys-power/upower-pm-utils
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
golding
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: FIXED sys-power/upower is blocking sys-power/upower-pm-utils Reply with quote

I have Systemd already going, and working well, so have had no problems till now.
The new Upower package is causing me no end of trouble as it will not allow me to finish my usual weekly update.
Code:

one ~ # emerge -auvDN --with-bdeps y @world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     UD ] dev-util/mdds-0.8.1:0/0.8.1 [0.10.3:0/0.10.3] 0 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] dev-libs/nspr-4.10.6 [4.10.4] USE="-debug" 1,105 KiB
[ebuild     U ~] sys-devel/gcc-4.8.3:4.8 [4.8.2:4.8] USE="cxx fortran (multilib) nls nptl openmp (-altivec) -awt -doc (-fixed-point) -gcj -go -graphite (-hardened) (-libssp) -mudflap (-multislot) -nopie -nossp -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -regression-test -vanilla" 84,144 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] net-firewall/iptables-1.4.21-r1 [1.4.20] USE="-ipv6 -netlink -static-libs" 535 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] x11-libs/motif-2.3.4-r2 [2.3.4-r1] USE="jpeg motif22-compatibility png unicode -examples -static-libs -xft" ABI_X86="(64) (-32) (-x32)" 0 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] sys-apps/man-pages-3.67 [3.63] USE="nls" LINGUAS="-da -de -fr -it -ja -nl -pl -ro -ru -zh_CN" 1,219 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-libs/glib-2.38.2-r1:2  USE="(mime%*) -debug (-fam) (-selinux) -static-libs -systemtap {-test} -utils -xattr" ABI_X86="(64) (-32) (-x32)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 (-python2_6)" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N    ~] sys-power/upower-0.99.0-r1:0/2  USE="introspection -ios" 0 KiB
[ebuild     U ~] www-client/firefox-30.0 [29.0.1] USE="alsa dbus jit libnotify minimal pulseaudio startup-notification -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -gstreamer -hardened (-pgo) (-selinux) -system-cairo -system-icu -system-jpeg -system-sqlite {-test} -wifi" LINGUAS="-af -ar -as -ast -be -bg -bn_BD -bn_IN -br -bs -ca -cs -csb -cy -da -de -el -en_GB -en_ZA -eo -es_AR -es_CL -es_ES -es_MX -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -fy_NL -ga_IE -gd -gl -gu_IN -he -hi_IN -hr -hu -hy_AM -id -is -it -ja -kk -km -kn -ko -ku -lt -lv -mai -mk -ml -mr -nb_NO -nl -nn_NO -or -pa_IN -pl -pt_BR -pt_PT -rm -ro -ru -si -sk -sl -son -sq -sr -sv_SE -ta -te -th -tr -uk -vi -xh -zh_CN -zh_TW -zu" 139,821 KiB
[blocks B      ] sys-power/upower ("sys-power/upower" is blocking sys-power/upower-pm-utils-0.9.23)

Total: 9 packages (6 upgrades, 1 downgrade, 1 new, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 226,823 KiB
Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

dev-util/mdds:0

(dev-util/mdds-0.10.3:0/0.10.3::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=dev-util/mdds-0.10.2:0/0.10.3= required by (app-office/libreoffice-4.2.3.3-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    ^^              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                 
    (and 1 more with the same problem)

(dev-util/mdds-0.8.1:0/0.8.1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=dev-util/mdds-0.8.1:0/0.8.1= required by (dev-libs/liborcus-0.5.1:0/0.5::gentoo, installed)
                         ^^^^^^^^^                                                                                                   
    (and 1 more with the same problem)

It may be possible to solve this problem by using package.mask to
prevent one of those packages from being selected. However, it is also
possible that conflicting dependencies exist such that they are
impossible to satisfy simultaneously.  If such a conflict exists in
the dependencies of two different packages, then those packages can
not be installed simultaneously. You may want to try a larger value of
the --backtrack option, such as --backtrack=30, in order to see if
that will solve this conflict automatically.

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-power/upower-pm-utils-0.9.23:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.10.2:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils[introspection] required by (gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.10.4-r2:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.8.8:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (mate-base/mate-session-manager-1.8.1-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by @selected
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (gnome-base/gnome-session-3.10.1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (x11-wm/mutter-3.10.4:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (kde-base/kdelibs-4.12.5:4/4.12::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (mate-base/mate-applets-1.8.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (gnome-extra/gnome-power-manager-3.10.1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (lxde-base/lxsession-0.4.9.2-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.10.3:2/2::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (mate-extra/mate-power-manager-1.8.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (net-im/telepathy-mission-control-5.14.1:0/0::gentoo, installed)

(sys-power/upower-0.99.0-r1:0/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    sys-power/upower[introspection] required by (gnome-extra/cinnamon-2.0.12:0/0::sabayon, installed)
    >=sys-power/upower-0.9.11 required by (gnome-extra/cinnamon-settings-daemon-2.0.7:0/0::sabayon, installed)
    >=sys-power/upower-0.9.1 required by (gnome-extra/cinnamon-control-center-2.0.7:0/0::sabayon, installed)
    >=sys-power/upower-0.9.0 required by (gnome-extra/cinnamon-session-2.0.5:0/0::sabayon, installed)

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

I was a confused by the news post for awhile, but let me see if this is right:
    If you don't use systemd and you need hibernate/suspend, install sys-power/upower-pm-utils
    If you don't use systemd and you don't need hibernate/suspend, install >=sys-power/upower-0.99.0
    If you use systemd, you can safely ignore this news item (maybe update to the newest upower too?)
But confused by the last line:

However, all systemd users are recommended to stay with sys-power/upower.

I had neither of the upower packages installed before and was asked to put upower-0.99 into the keyword file. Did that and now it is asking for both to be installed and saying neither can be and also the news item saying I don't need them as I already have systemd anyway ..... hoo, that hurts my brain!!

PLEASE, I cannot seem to get this one to work and its driving me nuts!!

..... Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I have never been able to make out the numbers.

Last edited by golding on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't quite get how you got away with not merging upower ... I wonder what would happen if you emerge -1 upower first (if it will let you) and then let it fix dependencies?

But for certain the version of cinnamon you have installed is old, and it disappeared from portage (at least according to my copy) and quite possibly it's an orphan package. Did you install it explicitly? Perhaps removing it temporarily would help portage figure out how to update...
golding
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou, removing cinnamon fixed the problem. That version of cinnamon was installed when I was trying to get around the gnome3 desktop. Mate ended up being more what I wanted.

Anyway, removed ALL cinnamon packages, plus the sabayon overlay I got it from, and now everything installs and resolves nicely.
Personally, I don't know why people are upset about systemd, once you get around the different way of configuring it, it works rather well.

..... Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I have never been able to make out the numbers.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.

Most people who complain about systemd is mostly preferring the legacy "unix" way of doing things. Systemd just throws a wrench into the system and nothing is the way it was. Not only this, it's "new" and has a potential for security holes because it doesn't have as much testing as legacy systems. And the fact that it buys nothing new for certain uses with a whole heck of a lot of dependencies and complexities. Updating existing installations can be a hassle because everything changed - and can require some effort to clean things back up.

I think it's just like other things, try both, like it? use it.

Alas I don't know if the Linux Standard Base will switch over to systemd someday with so many distributions heading that direction.
nullnullfzu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump...

I'm not sure why I'm getting this problem just now. Usually I update my box once a week.

So, let's just say I'm not systemd-ready yet and wouldn't what the hassle just yet.
Having bumped into that upower vs. upower-pm-utils problem I rembered that systemd was pulled in and it is installed. Having tried to uninstall it i got the message "'sys-apps/systemd' (virtual/dev-manager) is part of your system profile."
I use the simple desktop-profile on a notebook. (Must admit, I have the cinnamon layover installed though not using it since it's not usable yet - personal opinion)
How safe is it, to unmerge systemd anyways? And will it stay out until I have the time to turn my system upside down?

Any thoughts much appreciated (even tough ones... though not so much, please ;-) ).

Thanks a lot.

Manuel
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, that would be ugly.

I think people who really don't want systemd should mask systemd just to prevent the uglyness of removing it.
The worry is that if systemd gets installed, it may have replaced your udev, etc. Need to try to mask systemd and see if you can work your away around the dependency nightmare back to a no-systemd state, and then finally depclean systemd.

This won't be an easy task. Maybe if you started a new thread someone could help out with specifics.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uninstall broken overlays, such as mate-overlay, sabayon-overlay, cinnamon-overlay, enlightenment-overlay, and couple of other known ones, that force 'sys-power/upower' instead of have proper '|| ( sys-power/upower sys-power/upower-pm-utils )' construct in ebuilds
And GNOME 3.12+ will force sys-power/upower no matter what, it's not compatible with sys-power/upower-pm-utils, and some other packages might force sys-power/upower-pm-utils, resulting in a scenario these packages can no longer be installed at the same time

There is Portage news item about this, and threads in forums where it has been answered more comprohensively, so I wonder why refresh this old thread with almost no information...
nullnullfzu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ssuominen: You are right of course and I thank you for taking the time anyways to give me your thoughts. :oops:
I will put this issue of mine in its own thread once I can point to where I want to go with this.

This is why I ask one last question in this thread:
eix gives me the following:
Code:

sputnik /home/manuel $ eix systemd
[...]

[I] sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration
     Available versions:  2 4 **9999
     Installed versions:  4(08:40:32 PM 05/26/2014)
     Homepage:            https://bitbucket.org/mgorny/gentoo-systemd-integration
     Description:         systemd integration files for Gentoo

[I] sys-apps/systemd
     Available versions:  212-r5(0/2) ~215-r1(0/2) **9999(0/2) {acl audit cryptsetup doc elfutils +filecaps +firmware-loader gcrypt gudev http introspection kdbus +kmod lzma pam policykit python qrcode +seccomp selinux ssl test vanilla xattr ABI_MIPS="n32 n64 o32" ABI_PPC="32 64" ABI_S390="32 64" ABI_X86="32 64 x32" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 python3_2 python3_3" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2 python3_3"}
     Installed versions:  212-r5(03:31:56 PM 06/07/2014)(acl filecaps firmware-loader gudev introspection kmod pam policykit seccomp -audit -cryptsetup -doc -gcrypt -http -kdbus -lzma -python -qrcode -selinux -ssl -test -vanilla -xattr ABI_MIPS="-n32 -n64 -o32" ABI_X86="64 -32 -x32" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 -python3_2 -python3_3" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2 -python3_3")
     Homepage:            http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd
     Description:         System and service manager for Linux

sputnik /home/manuel $ eix sysvinit
[I] sys-apps/sysvinit
     Available versions:  2.88-r4 ~2.88-r5 ~2.88-r6 2.88-r7 {ibm selinux static KERNEL="FreeBSD"}
     Installed versions:  2.88-r7(11:46:35 AM 05/15/2014)(-ibm -selinux -static KERNEL="-FreeBSD")
     Homepage:            http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/sysvinit
     Description:         /sbin/init - parent of all processes

sputnik /home/manuel $ eix openrc
[I] sys-apps/openrc
     Available versions:  0.12.4 **9999 {debug ncurses +netifrc newnet pam prefix selinux static-libs tools unicode ELIBC="glibc" KERNEL="FreeBSD linux"}
     Installed versions:  0.12.4(05:50:58 AM 02/27/2014)(ncurses netifrc pam unicode -debug -newnet -prefix -selinux -static-libs -tools ELIBC="glibc" KERNEL="linux -FreeBSD")
     Homepage:            http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/openrc/
     Description:         OpenRC manages the services, startup and shutdown of a host

This question seems really stupid to me but I'm at a loss: How can I figure out which one of these manages my system?

Manuel
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell, which one did you specify in your bootloader (init=/path/to/your/initsoftware in your grub or other bootloader config)?

If you don't have an init= then the default is usually whatever you have /sbin/init set to, and that probably means you're using sysvinit/openrc.

You probably should put your query in your own thread regardless, imho...
nullnullfzu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you
:D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: