simple-scan crashes after click on the scan symbol, reopened
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: simple-scan crashes after click on the scan symbol, reopened Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

since about one month, simple scan crashes immediately after pushing the scan button symbol with the following error, if I start it from the root xterminal:

Code:

GConf-Error: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

If I use diffent scan tools, like scangui, from the kipi-plugins or XSane, everthing works fine, but I like to use simple-scan too.

I've already tried to rebuild emerge -av $(qlist -IC dbus) and gnome-base/gconf, but it doesn't help.
I'm on the latest ~amd64 packages.

Did everone know which update breaks this funktionality, or how to find out the root cause for it?

Best, Andy.

Last edited by Randy Andy on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Scan works if I start it with strace Reply with quote

Hi Geeks, her are more details about this problem:

If I start simple-scan using strace, it seems to work well - why?
Where is the difference (race-condition or something like that?)

For your deeper analysis, here is the shortened output of strace until I start scanning a document for a few seconds.
http://paste.ubuntu.com/7675056/

Help is very appreciated.
Thanks, Andy.
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fault has been gone for a few week, after updating the whole system.

But after doing some more world updates, it came back in exactly the same way curiously.

And again, if I start simple-scan from my x-terminal (konsole) as user with the help of strace, it doesn't crash when it starts scanning.

But if I try to use it in a normal way, it crashes immediately when I start to scan a document.

By the way, the error output of my first post, was the same during the working normal period, so it seems not directly related to the crashing behavior.
Additional hint, the fault came back before the shortly released new version of simple-scan hit the tree, and was still the same after updating it.

Any ideas how to go on in finding the root cause?

Thanks, Andy.
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more information and presumptions:

If I start logging simple-scan with the help of the debug mode the last entries before crashing are these:
Code:

[+3,43s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:884: sane_get_option_descriptor (45)
[+3,43s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:895: SCAN_SOURCE not available, trying alternative "doc-source"
[+3,43s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:546: sane_control_option (2, SANE_ACTION_SET_VALUE, "Gray") -> (SANE_STATUS_GOOD, "Gray")
[+3,43s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:462: sane_control_option (5, SANE_ACTION_SET_VALUE, 150) -> (SANE_STATUS_GOOD, 150)
[+3,43s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:462: sane_control_option (3, SANE_ACTION_SET_VALUE, 2) -> (SANE_STATUS_GOOD, 8)
[+3,43s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:530: sane_control_option (10, SANE_ACTION_SET_VALUE, option.range.max) -> (SANE_STATUS_GOOD)
[+3,43s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:530: sane_control_option (11, SANE_ACTION_SET_VALUE, option.range.max) -> (SANE_STATUS_GOOD)
[+3,45s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1209: sane_start (page=0, pass=0) -> SANE_STATUS_GOOD
[+3,45s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1226: sane_get_parameters () -> SANE_STATUS_GOOD
[+3,45s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1238: Parameters: format=SANE_FRAME_GRAY last_frame=SANE_TRUE bytes_per_line=1269 pixels_per_line=1269 lines=1753 depth=8

If I start simple-scan with strace, so that it works, but log only the output of the debug mode for comparison, I got instead:
Code:

[+4,60s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:884: sane_get_option_descriptor (45)
[+4,60s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:895: SCAN_SOURCE not available, trying alternative "doc-source"
[+4,60s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:546: sane_control_option (2, SANE_ACTION_SET_VALUE, "Gray") -> (SANE_STATUS_GOOD, "Gray")
[+4,60s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:462: sane_control_option (5, SANE_ACTION_SET_VALUE, 150) -> (SANE_STATUS_GOOD, 150)
[+4,60s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:462: sane_control_option (3, SANE_ACTION_SET_VALUE, 2) -> (SANE_STATUS_GOOD, 8)
[+4,60s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:530: sane_control_option (10, SANE_ACTION_SET_VALUE, option.range.max) -> (SANE_STATUS_GOOD)
[+4,60s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:530: sane_control_option (11, SANE_ACTION_SET_VALUE, option.range.max) -> (SANE_STATUS_GOOD)
[+4,61s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1209: sane_start (page=0, pass=0) -> SANE_STATUS_GOOD
[+4,61s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1226: sane_get_parameters () -> SANE_STATUS_GOOD
[+4,61s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1238: Parameters: format=SANE_FRAME_GRAY last_frame=SANE_TRUE bytes_per_line=1269 pixels_per_line=1269 lines=1753 depth=8

here it starts to differ, cause the scanning starts to work:

[+4,62s] DEBUG: simple-scan.vala:254: Page is 1269 pixels wide, 1753 pixels high, 2 bits per pixel
[+4,62s] DEBUG: simple-scan.vala:188: Getting color profile for device plustek:libusb:008:002
[+4,62s] DEBUG: simple-scan.vala:208: Unable to find colord device plustek:libusb:008:002: property match 'Serial'='sane:plustek:libusb:008:002' does not exist
[+4,72s] DEBUG: ui.vala:1739: Saving state to /home/andy/.cache/simple-scan/state
[+18,04s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1310: sane_read (1270) -> (SANE_STATUS_GOOD, 1270)
[+18,04s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1310: sane_read (2538) -> (SANE_STATUS_GOOD, 2538)
[+18,04s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1310: sane_read (2538) -> (SANE_STATUS_GOOD, 2538)
and so one while scanning....

Code:
equery u x11-misc/colord
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for x11-misc/colord-1.2.1:
 U I
 - - examples             : Install examples, usually source code
 - - extra-print-profiles : Generate extra print profiles. Warning: significant build time and memory requirements.
 + + gusb                 : Enable dev-libs/libgusb support, needed for colorimeter drivers
 + + introspection        : Add support for GObject based introspection
 - + policykit            : Enable PolicyKit authentication support
 + + scanner              : Add support for scanner hardware (e.g. build the sane frontend in kdegraphics)
 - - systemd              : Enable use of systemd-specific libraries and features like socket activation or session tracking
 + + udev                 : Enable virtual/udev integration (device discovery, power and storage device support, etc)
 - - vala                 : Generate bindings for dev-lang/vala

Questions/ presumptions:
Could it have to do with colord?
Is the vala use-use flag needed for its correct function, does simple scan really make use of colord.

My next trial would be to recompile colord with the vala flag.

Any other idea what could be so critical for the runtime, cause it works under strace conditions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: