New layman version: testers needed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twitch153
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: New layman version: testers needed Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Throughout this summer I've been working on, and will continue to work on making improvements to layman's codebase
for my Google Summer of Code project.

It has been about time that we release a new layman version for users to enjoy, but first we'd like to have some testers to
assure us that the new features are solid and stable before pushing out a new RC.

What's new:

• layman is now py3.x compatible
  • The ability to (delete and) automatically re-add repositories with the -r, --readd option.
  • URL updating: If the source URL of an overlay changes, layman will attempt to automatically update it and notify you of the change.
  • Overlay type checking: If the remote database reports and overlay is of a different type than what the local overlay is specifying, it will
    be re-added.
  • repos.conf support: users can specify if they would like to support a repos.conf type of configuration, as well as make.conf, or both.
  • "branch" module support[1]: Specific branch types have been given branch support, therefore you can now sync from a specific
    overlay and a specific branch (if one exists). Currently only CVS, Git, Mercurial, and Tar overlays are
    supported. If anyone would like to submit patches to add branch support for any other overlay type, I will
    gladly test them.
  • g-sorcery overlay type has been added[2]
  • IRC channel info can be added to overlay.xml files[1].
  • man page changes have been made
  • If I'm forgetting anything, I apologize ahead of time.

[1] Currently, changes have not been made to the repositories.dtd to allow the main repositories.xml to support the branch variable and the irc variable. However, users can specify both in their own local overlays.xml files and it will work perfectly fine.
[2] To make use of g-sorcery, add jauhien's overlay via layman for the g-sorcery pkg and install.

To test the new layman additions, simply install layman-9999 and have fun.

I look forward to seeing some feedback from everyone 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: