Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Booting is so slow
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
khayyam
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 2244

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maccabbeo wrote:
Actually, as far as I can imagine, installing a printer on Gentoo should be the same as installing on Gentoo derivates (drivers act more or less at kernel level). If you think I'm wrong then please show me why it is not the same, I mean why you think installing a printer on Gentoo is different than installing a printer on Sabayon.

maccabbeo ... firstly, this is a community, the *gentoo* community, that doesn't mean we provide support for everyone who uses code produced by this community. The code is provided free of cost, the community however doesn't come as part of the package because its the community which effectively makes the project viable (as the resources required to support the code has a greater burden). So, please don't feel like we .... the community ... need to support you, you have your own community for that (and if not you, and other Sabayon users/developers, need to develop it). Secondly, this is not a general linux support forum, we provide support for *gentoo* ... we are gentoo users, and place our efforts behind that project. The reason for this is twofold, it costs us our time to provide this support (which, again, is a burden on *our* community) and (as we see in the posts above) can waste these resources because we are not running sabayon/funtoo/calculate and so are not running that codebase (with whatever changes, defaults, etc, involved).

maccabbeo wrote:
Otherwise, please put the posts back to their original places and let the others reply to help me.

As I stated before, please look to the sabayon community for support.

best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tony0945
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 295

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I thought systemd was supposed to make booting fast!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomWij
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 1551

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Hey! I thought systemd was supposed to make booting fast!


It is fast considering the amount of work the boot does.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steveL
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 13 Sep 2006
Posts: 2592
Location: The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. It's just faster when openrc does it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maccabbeo
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 May 2014
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear khayyam,
dear XavierMiller.

You are talking about "community" which should treat people just the opposite of how you are treating me. Community is sharing and you are not sharing: you are just trying to put me away from here.

I do not know how old are you, since how long you are linux users and whether you did something real in your lives to support people other than being so nazi on this forum. I know that "helping people" means, you don't.

What's wrong in asking how to install a printer? If you ask it to me, I'll tell you my way to do it: if you want, you try it on your own following part/all of my suggestions and then see whether it also works with you.

You are treating me in a racist way. Maybe you just do not know how to help me: this is ok, just do not answer if you ignore the solution and let other people (less nazi than you) help me.

I do not want to waste your energies, you are deciding to waste your energies on your own: nobody tells you MUST reply. Just ignore the help requests that you are not able to solve and you save your time.

"Community" is intended to helping and sharing, not to say "hey you are black and I am white: we are different, just go away from here and ask other people like you to help you".

Just think it over. Such simple things show the way you are in your real life. If you do care about people, if you do care about helping the others, if you do want to live in a better place then consider being less racist.

I'm not telling you that because you do not want to help me: this is not the point, it is not just for me. In fact, I accept when somebody tells me "cannot solve your boot problems since Sabayon uses systemd unlike Gentoo". It is ok, you gave me an explanation related to the problem. It is ok, despite the problem has been solved with something not related to systemd but related to wrong UUID in fstab which problem and solution is common to ALL the linux users, no matters they use Gentoo, Sabayon, Ubuntu or whatever...

Do you know what I mean? Hope you can understand. Otherwise just leave the forum: community spirit is not for you.

So, back to the point, you have two choices:
- you explain the reason why in theory a problem cannot be solved in Gentoo (even if you may be wrong, as happened with the booting problems of above)
- you explain how you would do it the Gentoo way

This is being part of a community. Otherwise, just ignore the posts: what you are moving/removing could help other people.

Hope you could share your opinions here. The aim of sharing your opinion is giving me (well, give all the readers!) more reasons (technical reasons, possibly) why my problems could not be solved. If you do not know how to answer then just put the posts at their original place and let other people reply or simply let other people ignore: the thread will automatically disappear if nobody replies. No need nazis to kill the posts.

Thanks for reading.
Regards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
XavierMiller
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 23 Jul 2004
Posts: 5542
Location: ~Brussels - Belgique

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Sabayon is derived from Gentoo but is not Gentoo. I don't care how Sabayon installs and configure stuff, but the Gentoo way can be different.

Our "community" is based on Gentoo, and this forum is to help Gentoo users. We could help other distibutions, but we are not a generalist UNIX users support forum.

Gentoo way is explained in the documentation, especially the wiki (http://wiki.gentoo.org).

I use Unix since 1991, linux since 1996 and Gentoo since 2004. Guess my age.

I don't like your WW2 comparison, as a moderator, I just stated that I don't like the way you posted, by doubling your chances using cross-forums posts, which is counter-productive.

As I told you in my previous post, you can ask help the Gentoo way, but don't tell you already asked in the Sabayon forum, this is useless.
_________________
Xavier Miller
(FR) Merci de respecter les règles du forum.
http://www.xaviermiller.be
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maccabbeo
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 May 2014
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I will write back my posts asking people to help me the Gentoo way.
Thanks.
Regards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
XavierMiller
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 23 Jul 2004
Posts: 5542
Location: ~Brussels - Belgique

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ;)
_________________
Xavier Miller
(FR) Merci de respecter les règles du forum.
http://www.xaviermiller.be
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomWij
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 1551

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Lol. It's just faster when openrc does it.


Leading to file systems that remain broken; because the only way this is going to get much faster than what his systemd boot does now, is to get rid of the (un?)necessary off-line fsck calls that stall it.

So, maccabbeo, you'll want to check up with Sabayon whether it is always doing these checks for safety; if that's not the case, investigate whether your file systems or hard disks are perhaps broken.
The file systems can be checked by running fsck (from e2fsprogs) on them from a livecd and checking its output; the hard disk can be checked by running smartctl (from smartmontools) on them and checking its output.

For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 2244

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maccabbeo wrote:
You are talking about "community" which should treat people just the opposite of how you are treating me. Community is sharing and you are not sharing: you are just trying to put me away from here.

maccabbeo ... that is not the meaning of community: "a social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests and perceived or perceiving itself as distinct in some respect from the larger society within which it exists".

maccabbeo wrote:
I do not know how old are you, since how long you are linux users and whether you did something real in your lives to support people other than being so nazi on this forum. I know that "helping people" means, you don't.

I'm over 50 and have been using and supporting unix/linux since '92 ...

maccabbeo wrote:
What's wrong in asking how to install a printer?

As I said, this is not a general linux support forum.

maccabbeo wrote:
You are treating me in a racist way. Maybe you just do not know how to help me: this is ok, just do not answer if you ignore the solution and let other people (less nazi than you) help me.

This is nonsense ... and insulting. What has race to do with it, you are attributing a category to something which doesn't relate to that category.

maccabbeo wrote:
"Community" is intended to helping and sharing, not to say "hey you are black and I am white: we are different, just go away from here and ask other people like you to help you".

As I explained this community exists to support gentoo, it doesn't exist to support sabayon, funtoo, caluclate, debian, redhat, ubuntu, etc, etc. If you were an ubuntu user, you should not expect that the debian community provides support on their forums, mailing lists, etc, by virtue of the fact that ubuntu is a derivative of debian.

maccabbeo wrote:
Just think it over. Such simple things show the way you are in your real life. If you do care about people, if you do care about helping the others, if you do want to live in a better place then consider being less racist.

I'm not in the least bit racist ... but I can recognise a strawman when I see one.

maccabbeo wrote:
Do you know what I mean? Hope you can understand. Otherwise just leave the forum: community spirit is not for you.

No, I don't know what you mean, you've raised the spectre of "racism" and "nazism" in an accusative and insulting manner, and then tell me/us I/we don't understand "community" because we are not providing for *your* needs, we should go elsewhere, etc, etc. As many in this community will attest I spend some considerable effort helping others with their problems, you can click on my "profile" and "view posts" to confirm that. So, I leave it to others to decide who here understands "community".

best ... khay

ps: reporting for violation of CoC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maccabbeo
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 May 2014
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the strawman word it is you offending me.
As I said (maybe you should read carefully) I'm not writing since you are not able to help me, only me, just me. You should know that many users can read what other people write and apply what they read in exactly the same way or just take inspiration of it and consequently apply their own way. Don't you want to get involved? It is ok, no problems: just leave the thread there and let other people reply. If you are right, then nobody else would reply and the thread will be doomed to be out of everybody's mind in few days.

The fact that you interrupt the discussion has nothing to do with sharing knowledge: it has more to do with other kinds of topics as I've been trying to explain.
So, let everybody decide: put the posts in their own place and let time do the rest. Again, if you are right my posts will be completely forgot in maybe less than one week...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steveL
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 13 Sep 2006
Posts: 2592
Location: The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but imo you should have taken the clear directions to ask Sabayon forums at face value, not simply ignored them as if they hadn't been written. That is just plain rude, afaic.

khayyam has already explained why your protestations about "community" are misplaced. You're twisting the word to mean "help me whenever I ask, no matter that this is the wrong place to ask, and even if I act like you don't exist."

Taking umbrage at "strawman" after you've called us racist nazis, is simply pseudo-offended posturing, again imo.

I hope you can find a way to move past your unfortunate approach to getting help, principally your inability to be told "no." Acting like a petulant child is something you'll have to work out, not us. Good luck.

Note: it's not about whether your problem would in fact a problem on another distro; that doesn't suddenly make it on-topic on every Linux forum in the world. It's about respecting boundaries, learning about a community before you get involved with it, and accepting that if you're off-topic, you should seek another forum. The latter happens on IRC too, and frankly you'd have been muted if not banned from an IRC channel, for your unfortunate decision to rage-slander regulars here, instead of simply accepting what you'd been told by several people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
desultory
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Posts: 7986

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame, maccabbeo, that you took the second chance that XavierMiller gave you and threw it away. It is now entirely up to you whether you can continue to attempt to participate on this site: either you can heed the advice given to you in this topic, or you can leave. Willingly or not.

maccabbeo wrote:
With the strawman word it is you offending me.
If you insist we can call it a strawnazi, since you seem so fond of their tactics of attempting to gain rhetorical leverage by use of accusations of imagined slights by those who have done you no harm. The difference is that you are really bad at it.

Locked, because Godwin was right all along and the traditional response is still generally the correct one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum