View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephan-t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Advanced Gentoo Installation for SSD Reply with quote

Hello , I Stephan and really newbie on board and i wanna turn Gentoo from Archlinux.

What is the recommanded steps for SSD? . I have a really old storage drive with small size and ext4 not really good and use more space. Find the new (old) filesystem but long time ago not developed. Yes the filesystem type is JFS.
Set the GPT and format any partition to JFS. After some package compile the installation not complete and brake with errors. I think not set correctly the settings or whatever, when or ext4 similar built work as well.
I like the tradicional Sysinit system and not use full DE in my machine. Can I install regular system without polkit, udev, and consolekit - dbus?.

My poor configuration:
Intel Core i3 540
Nvidia GT 430

Maybe later upgrade my system with some usb goodies (external sound card etc.) I think udev only full compatible with that.

Sorry my bad English.

Gz, Stephan
Irre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use f2fs (flash friendly file system) in stead.
stephan-t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irre wrote:
Use f2fs (flash friendly file system) in stead.

"experimental" i search more stable filesystem, anybody use JFS ? pro or contra comparsion between ext ?
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first tried out Gentoo I used a 5400 rpm hdd as a test run before committing my ssd to a full time install. Gentoo is so fast anyway that in my use case I barely noticed any difference (lean-ish system).

I do use jfs simply because I read that it was a good filesystem for a large amount of small files.

Recently at work I installed Mint on an ssd (the same one) a couple of times, first with ext4 and then with jfs. No noticable difference.
jonathan183
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Advanced Gentoo Installation for SSD Reply with quote

stephan-t wrote:
I like the tradicional Sysinit system and not use full DE in my machine. Can I install regular system without polkit, udev, and consolekit - dbus?.

I don't use an SSD but I have my system set with IceWM as the Window Manager, don't have polkit or consolekit installed, and you could use eudev or mdev instead of udev - or go with static-dev ... https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Alternate_system_configurations may help
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Advanced Gentoo Installation for SSD Reply with quote

stephan-t wrote:

I use openrc (sysvinit) and lxde (openbox)
I don't have *kit or dbus installed and am using eudev.

Works well, I boot into console mode and use startx instead of running some flavor of gdm/kdm/etc.
stephan-t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all advice ;)

Anon-E-moose

Good to hear that, thanks.
stephan-t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some problem after then install the gentoo.

The installation media is the latest SystemRescueCd.

Compile the kernel and copy the bzImage to /boot

in /usr/src/*linux

cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-3.12.13-gentoo

First time set gpt type and i make four partition:

/dev/sda1 /boot 256MB
/dev/sda2 / 15GB
/dev/sda3 swap
/dev/sda4 /home ~10GB

all partition ext4 and the disk only 30GB SSD.

listed the UUID with blkid and set in fstab

After read in parted manual and set boot flag

set 1 legacy_boot on

some description say this : set 1 toogle boot

The boot manager is syslinux always follow the wiki

Code:

dd bs=440 conv=notrunc count=1 if=/usr/share/syslinux/gptmbr.bin of=/dev/sda
mkdir /boot/extlinux
extlinux --install /boot/extlinux
-- boot is located /dev/sda1

Code:
cd /usr/share/syslinux
cp ldlinux.c32 /boot/extlinux

some description like this to write gpt master boot record:

Code:
cat /usr/share/syslinux/gptmbr.bin > /dev/sda

This is different or maybe same as ?

and i make a simple boot configuration
nano /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf

Code:
DEFAULT gentoo

LABEL gentoo
      LINUX /boot/kernel-3.12.13-gentoo

So after then i rebooted the system syslinux could boot, cannot load the kernel image :
Could not find kernel image : /boot/kernel-3.12.13-gentoo
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Common_Problems#Missing_OS_.28gptmbr.bin.29 the syslinux folk don't seem to like parted for setting flag
sgdisk is dangerous compared to gdisk, suggest using gdisk, both are on sysresccd or emerge gptfdisk in chroot

"Could not find kernel image : /boot/kernel-3.12.13-gentoo" is different than "Missing OS" error message so this may not be related to your problem.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/error-could-not-find-kernel-image-linux/ might have helpful hints
stephan-t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should i possible compile packages with unneccesary options ? I mean the emerge pull more packages then earlier Archlinux setup

example : git (only perl errors and the meta package just require)
and in gentoo so many perl packges with depencies and withouts am cannot compile git package.

that is good idea the latest stable kernel (3.12.13 ) mixed it with developers packages (~amd64 keyword enable) ?
stephan-t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I just want a dbus, udev, policykit, consolekit free systemd, follow the mdev wiki and i fail at the rebuild without these packages whole system.

dbus depencies
udev depencies

and run it

emerge -uDNvp @world

and here is the output

also read everywhere try this command

emerge @preserved-rebuild

output

package.use

package.mask]

make.conf

Without rebuild the system just work but at boot Bringing the new interface alltimes (Is this slow)

conf.d/net

Anybody could help me ?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephan-t ...

honestly its really hard to get an accurate picture of things with the data provided above, you seem to be overdoing it on useflags in two ways, firstly defining them in make.conf when they may already be disabled/enabled by the profile, and secondly defining globally (via make.conf) and then unsetting via package.use. I'd advise you to keep it simple, with just the minimal useflags needed in make.conf, and only those that are used for every occurance of that useflag, then, use package.use to fine tune those flags (and *only* add the flags you're changing, as then its easy to see what useflags differ from those that are +IUSE or enabled/disabled in the profile). In short ... less is more ... keep it simple stupid ... etc, etc. So, for useflags like 'X' I'd suggest setting '-X' and then setting it 'X' on those packages which you specifically want it in package.use. I'd take a similar approach to package.mask ... there is no need to mask a package like udev if busybox[mdev] is providing virtual/device-manager.

That said, there are somethings in the above I don't understand, as some useflags are enabled in the output of emerge but disabled in the make.conf ... so please check there isn't another make.conf, and that the changes made are to '/etc/portage/make.conf'.

Also, as your switching to ~amd64 I would start by first getting udev, dbus, consolekit, etc, purged ... then doing a wider update, by breaking things down into smaller steps it'll be easier to focus and manage the transition.

So, somethings I can comment on from a breif scan of the above info:

When --depcleaning udev, did you also remove the virtual/udev? I don't see it listed in the above emerge output, which suggests its still installed. Also, did you emerge busybox with the mdev useflag? (this is required to satisfy virtual/dev-manager).

sys-power/pm-utils has a hard dependency on dbus, so you can't have pm-utils and purge dbus.

x11-misc/notification-daemon will pull in media-libs/libcanberra and require the 'gtk3' useflag, this will mean pulling in various/many packages (and its likely that one or other will depend on dbus), so you might want to avoid this. I'm not sure what's pulling this in as you have '-startup-notification' on rxvt-unicode (I have '-startup-notification' set globally but I don't see any other package with that useflag). Also, x11-misc/notification-daemon itself seems to have a hard dependency on dbus.

I notice a stray '-' (dash) in the USE variable in make.conf ... its probably ignored, but you probably want to fix that.

Anyhow, with five or six tabs open with the above links I'm having a hard time getting some kind of idea of where specifically you're going wrong, so you need to focus on each step and just provide the problem relating to purging each package because right now I can't make sense of the totality.

best ... khay
stephan-t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="khayyam"
[/quote]

Thanks the advice but hard to understand for me, I only remove the packages sometimes try emerge -pv --depclean
use the simpler make.conf or not use flag in package.use but dbus very difficult the purge it.

dbus pull many packages

at-spi2-atk/core pm-utils notification-daemon. Its to complex what I want, but very greatful your advice to.

Gz, Stephan
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephan-t wrote:
Thanks the advice but hard to understand for me, I only remove the packages sometimes try emerge -pv --depclean.

stephan-t ... well, its difficult for me to understand also, when I look at the above I see '-consolekit' in make.conf *but* its enabled on sys-auth/pambase in your emerge output, so something isn't right, and I can't see what. Also, it looks to me that virtual/udev hasn't been depcleaned as it doesn't show up in the output (but sys-fs/udev does as 'N' ... 'new'). So, virtual/udev also has to be removed otherwise udev will get pulled back in.

stephan-t wrote:
use the simpler make.conf or not use flag in package.use but dbus very difficult the purge it.

As I said, you won't be able to purge dbus while still using pm-utils or having some package pull it in.

stephan-t wrote:
dbus pull many packages at-spi2-atk/core pm-utils notification-daemon.

I think at-spi2-atk/core is a dep of gtk+:3 so you should make sure nothing depends on this (and/or package.mask it). Mostly the problem just seems to be you not having purged udev and so all its dependencies want to get re-merged.

stephan-t wrote:
Its to complex what I want, but very greatful your advice to.

Start by putting your make.conf/useflags in order (try to only have the minimal defined), then work on purging one pacakge at a time (start with udev), this way you break the complexity down into managable size chunks. You'll make things easier for me as well, as I can then start to see what exactly is going on ... and so hopefully help. BTW, I have a dbus/udev/*kit free system so I know whats involved.

Can you pastbin 'emerge --info' and tell me what profile you're using.

best ... khay
stephan-t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weeks after i try switch mdev, replace the udev.

emerge unmerge udev, gudev and those package depencies the udev.

Some packages broke after i remove the udev.

equery d udev list the packages what need.

media-libs/mesa
net-misc/dhcpcd
sys-apps/util-linux
sys-auth-consolekit
sys-fs/cryptsetup
sys-fs/lvm2
virtual/dev-manager-0

and etc......

those packages pull many packages and i cannot compile without udev.

in packages.use example

x11-base/xorg-server -udev
media-libs/mesa -udev

why not working ?

Sorry i totaly lame with use flag.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephan-t ...

sys-auth/consolekit has a dependency on virtual/udev so you will not be able to use mdev without first removing this ... mdev doesn't provide the virtual, only sys-fs/udev, sys-fs/eudev, or sys-apps/systemd. Note that removing consolekit will effect other package dependencies, so you will need to make sure nothing has this useflag enabled.

The other packages (in your list) should be merged without the udev useflag, except for media-libs/mesa which doesn't have one (and I'm not sure why this is tagged as having an issue, other than the fact that its a dependency of various xorg-x11 packages).

Anyhow, there is not enough information above to understand what the issues are, what you've done, and the current state of your attempt to purge udev. You haven't provided the requested 'emerge --info' and what profile is in use ... so its next to impossible for anyone to see exactly what the issue is.

best ... khay
stephan-t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okey here is my emerge --info
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephan-t ...

that looks ok, there is no udev, dbus, consolekit useflags enabled. So, what is the issue exactly, what is causing udev and/or consolekit to be pulled in?

best ... khay
stephan-t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every packages after the merge say that

!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: sys-fs/udev-214
* - /lib64/libudev.so.1
* - /lib64/libudev.so.1.4.1
* used by /usr/bin/Xorg (x11-base/xorg-server-1.15.99.903)
* used by /usr/bin/canberra-boot (media-libs/libcanberra-0.30-r1)
* used by /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so (x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.8.4)
* - /usr/lib64/libgudev-1.0.so.0
* - /usr/lib64/libgudev-1.0.so.0.2.0
* used by /usr/lib64/ModemManager/libmm-plugin-altair-lte.so (net-misc/modemmanager-1.2.0-r1)
* used by /usr/lib64/ModemManager/libmm-plugin-anydata.so (net-misc/modemmanager-1.2.0-r1)
* used by /usr/lib64/ModemManager/libmm-plugin-cinterion.so (net-misc/modemmanager-1.2.0-r1)
* used by 23 other files
Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries

* IMPORTANT: 4 config files in '/etc' need updating.
* See the CONFIGURATION FILES section of the emerge
* man page to learn how to update config files.

* IMPORTANT: 1 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news to read news items.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephan-t wrote:
Code:
!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: sys-fs/udev-214
 *  - /lib64/libudev.so.1
 *  - /lib64/libudev.so.1.4.1
 *      used by /usr/bin/Xorg (x11-base/xorg-server-1.15.99.903)
 *      used by /usr/bin/canberra-boot (media-libs/libcanberra-0.30-r1)
 *      used by /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so (x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.8.4)

stephan-t ... you need to remove 'evdev' from INPUT_DEVICES and unmerge xf86-input-evdev. I have ...

/etc/portage/make.conf
Code:
INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse synaptics"

... you may, or may not, need 'synaptics' (dependent on your having a trackpad or not).

It looks like xorg-server possibly wasn't re-emerged when the udev useflag was changed to -udev, so re-emerge. media-libs/libcanberra also depends on virtual/udev so this is not usable with mdev (though you may be able to keep the udev libraries its built against and so have it still work with mdev ... I'm not sure what it expects to be running as I don't use it).

stephan-t wrote:
Code:
 *  - /usr/lib64/libgudev-1.0.so.0
 *  - /usr/lib64/libgudev-1.0.so.0.2.0
 *      used by /usr/lib64/ModemManager/libmm-plugin-altair-lte.so (net-misc/modemmanager-1.2.0-r1)
 *      used by /usr/lib64/ModemManager/libmm-plugin-anydata.so (net-misc/modemmanager-1.2.0-r1)
 *      used by /usr/lib64/ModemManager/libmm-plugin-cinterion.so (net-misc/modemmanager-1.2.0-r1)
 *      used by 23 other files

net-misc/modemmanager also depends on virtual/udev, if you don't have a modem you can safely unmerge this, add '-ppp' to your useflags, the package that pulled it in should then be seen as a useflag change in 'emerge --newuse @world' ... re-emerge this/these packages.

best ... khay
stephan-t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khayyam

thanks the tip, but only some package rebuilt.

Those remain

[ebuild N ] sys-fs/udev-215 USE="firmware-loader gudev introspection kmod -acl -doc (-selinux) -static-libs"
[ebuild N ] virtual/libgudev-208 USE="introspection -static-libs"
[ebuild N ] virtual/udev-208-r2 USE="gudev introspection -static-libs"
[ebuild N ] net-misc/modemmanager-1.2.0-r1 USE="introspection qmi -mbim -policykit -qmi-newest -vala"
[ebuild R ] app-misc/geoclue-2.1.9

The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
(see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by net-misc/modemmanager-1.2.0-r1
# required by app-misc/geoclue-2.1.9[modemmanager]
# required by @preserved-rebuild (argument)
>=virtual/udev-208-r2 gudev
# required by virtual/libgudev-208
# required by virtual/udev-208-r2
# required by net-misc/modemmanager-1.2.0-r1
# required by app-misc/geoclue-2.1.9[modemmanager]
# required by @preserved-rebuild (argument)
=sys-fs/udev-215 gudev
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam,

xorg-server suffers from
Code:
IUSE="${IUSE_SERVERS} ipv6 minimal nptl selinux +suid tslib +udev unwind"

Notice the +udev. That means the ebuild depends on udev which is a shame as the old ways still work.

Editing the ebuild to remove references to udev makes it work. I can post a fixed xorg-server-1.16.0.ebuild.

-- edit ---

Code:
$ wgetpaste -s dpaste xorg-server-1.16.0.ebuild
Your paste can be seen here: http://dpaste.com/0RMGCW3

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
xorg-server suffers from
Code:
IUSE="${IUSE_SERVERS} ipv6 minimal nptl selinux +suid tslib +udev unwind"

Notice the +udev. That means the ebuild depends on udev which is a shame as the old ways still work.

Neddy ... yes, but -udev in useflags and removing evdev from INPUT_DEVICES will get it emerged ... and with a minimal /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/* it'll work (at least it does here ... and without udev).

@stephan-t ... app-misc/geoclue depends on both net-misc/modemmanager and sys-apps/dbus both of which depend on udev. This package seems to be the only thing left pulling in udev as a dependency, so you will need to see what requires this and remove them (or change the useflag that causes it to be pulled in).

Getting rid of udev isn't easy, there are so many packages that require it in some way, it can be done but you need to work out what depends on what and how to remove/replace these ... and so block udev. I have 'sys-fs/udev' in /etc/portage/package.mask and have nothing installed that has an explict requirement, those packages (like xorg-server) with a useflag I disable. In your case something pulled in app-misc/geoclue and I'm not sure what, or what you need to remove/rebuild in order for udev to nolonger be required.

best ... khay
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam,

For my gentoo-static I have to patch that ebuild every update or it tries to drag udev in.
I need to look into that further.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
For my gentoo-static I have to patch that ebuild every update or it tries to drag udev in. I need to look into that further.

Neddy ... hmmmm, I can't think why that would happen, no mask should really be necessary as sys-fs/static-dev should satisfy virtual/dev-manager. Other than the above mask and -udev in useflags I don't have anything else set.

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: