I finally did it! :)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OmegaSW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: I finally did it! :) Reply with quote

I did it to prove that I can, but after spending 3 days busting my head on how to install this, I'm keeping it! I can't help but feel like that I've join some kind of exclusive secret club. Yes, I want a cookie! :)

I think I made it harder than it needed to be by going with lvm paritions and systemd, but that is what I've been used to with Sabayon, so I wanted to keep it similar. The documentation was helpful, but there were times I got lost and had to Google for answers. (In fact, Sabayon had a great grub recovery documentation for lvm that worked great on my gentoo install when I couldn't figure it out from the official instructions).

I also did cheat a little bit and got a little bit of help on IRC. Basically, I had to find out which package had my wifi driver (rt61 is now part of linux-firmware), and how to complete the systemd migration (I had to use real_init in the grub.cfg).

Also, Sysrescuecd is a savior since I needed a wpa wifi connection to do it.
This site's instruction should be part of the documentation for people needing to do a WPA Wifi installation: http://blog.kasunbg.org/2012/02/installing-gentoo-from-livecd.html
For Grub2 installation, this was better for me: https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Restore_Grub2

Last edited by OmegaSW on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! *Hugz* :wink:
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Teegrins and welcome, OmegaSW!

Good job, and well done!

Funny that, I was just yesterday looking into Sabayon, as if to perhaps test it so as to recommend it to any non-Linux acquaintances instead of what I usually recommend (Mint, mostly).

I've yet to try it out, though, as I learned it's defaulting to systemd just as so many others nowadays seem to do. I do not want to use it at this time, and I would rather not recommend it to anyone else (that's a decision due to my (current) opinion(s), and I wish (and ask) that it will not spawn any sort of discussion here... thank you!).

I'm actually using static-dev (also known as Olde Fashioned Gentooee) on some of my machines, eudev on others, but hopefully all static soon. ^^

I think I will still look into it regardless at some point.

Again, good job, welcome, and may thee have a nice stay! ^^
OmegaSW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished installing and testing Steam from the Steam layman, and now I'm just installing themes to KDE and grub2. Getting everything in the way that I want will take some time for sure.
OmegaSW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
Teegrins and welcome, OmegaSW!

Good job, and well done!

Funny that, I was just yesterday looking into Sabayon, as if to perhaps test it so as to recommend it to any non-Linux acquaintances instead of what I usually recommend (Mint, mostly).

I've yet to try it out, though, as I learned it's defaulting to systemd just as so many others nowadays seem to do. I do not want to use it at this time, and I would rather not recommend it to anyone else (that's a decision due to my (current) opinion(s), and I wish (and ask) that it will not spawn any sort of discussion here... thank you!).

I'm actually using static-dev (also known as Olde Fashioned Gentooee) on some of my machines, eudev on others, but hopefully all static soon. ^^

I think I will still look into it regardless at some point.

Again, good job, welcome, and may thee have a nice stay! ^^

Sabayon is a nice distro. I just don't like that there isn't an emerge --depclean equivalent for entropy, but other then that it's kept up to date by syncing with Gentoo weekly.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OmegaSW,

Welcome to Gentoo.

The hard bit is getting your box to boot. the first time.
That shows you have aquired most of the skills to maintain a Gentoo install too.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OmegaSW wrote:
I just finished installing and testing Steam from the Steam layman, and now I'm just installing themes to KDE and grub2. Getting everything in the way that I want will take some time for sure.

Very nice!

I've not looked into the Steam overlay for a long while, as I went with the non-overlay method which is explained at our wikki.

OmegaSW wrote:
Sabayon is a nice distro. I just don't like that there isn't an emerge --depclean equivalent for entropy, but other then that it's kept up to date by syncing with Gentoo weekly.

I bet it is. I was going to try it out the other day, but it seems to suffer from the same issue all live-discs I've tried recently: they're not detecting the bluetooth keyboard I tend to use for the random machines I'm working on. I got the bluetooth of Linux Mint Debian edition installer to detect it, but after installation, I couldn't log in since again, the keyboard didn't have connection.

Uncool. I wonder if so few use such keyboards that it's not common enough to have it just work. I'm not exactly a fan of wireless anything myself, but I just happen to have this thing around, instead of any extra wired keyboards...

Meh. I think it just means that I should be installing Gentoo on them all! ^^;
OmegaSW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By default, bluetooth is disabled in Sabayon. :(

Open a terminal on the live disc and type:
systemctl start bluetooth.service

If that doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you need a working keyboard to enable your keyboard. Awesome :D
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by completing the gentoo installation, you already learned more than most people learn in an entire semester of linux administration in university
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: