Apache with SSL
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
True
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Apache with SSL Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to get Apache to run with SSL but I'm really struggling. I'm not new to Apache and I've setup ApacheSSL servers for a couple of years but even following the Gentoo documentation I still can't get https working.

Here are the USE options I've specified:
USE="java ssl libwww pam tcpd -qt -kde -gnome -X -gpm -gtk"

I've emerged Apache, mod_ssl etc and edited the apache configuration file. I've made sure the entry in /etc/conf/apache uses SSL and I've added 'Listen 143' to apache's conf. Apache starts up OK and 'ps aux' lists that Apache is running with -D SSL but I cannot connect on port 143 from another machine. I can connect to port 80 however.

The odd thing is that locally I can do a telnet localhost 143 and it does connect. If even lets me do a 'get /' to which Apache responds with a 501 - so it must be listening on 143. However if I try to do 'lynx https://localhost' it fails to connect, saying 'unable to connect'.

I have to say that the Gentoo documentation is excellent (esp. th enew security doc) but the Apache doc is a little sparse. Certainly following it to the letter doesn't work.

Has anyone got any ideas where I might be going wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.
Target
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would probably be because port 443 is the HTTPS port and not 143. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Like I said, I've been setting up ApacheSSL servers for a while now :oops:

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: