Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can two gentoo profiles be used simultaneously?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s.verma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Can two gentoo profiles be used simultaneously? Reply with quote

I am installing from stage3-x32-20140325.tar.bz2. When selecting profiles I am given options from which I would like to use desktop (because I want to use it on laptop) as well as x32 (because I want code to be generated for x32 abi on x86_64). How can I select desktop and x32 both? Or can I just go for x32 and expect that I can also install all desktop applications as per my requirements.
In other words, do by selecting x32, I am having system which would not contain some desktop apps or something is excluded from desktop domain?
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Do you really want "x32" ? Don't you want 32 bits builds, which are provided by multilib ?
s.verma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't require 32 builds (multilib), if it is possible with x32 abi then it's OK, otherwise 32 bit applications are not necessary. But my priority here is to use x32 ABI on x86_64 and I do want to use this on my desktop (specifically laptop).
In other words, I want to use almost all desktop applications with compiling them with 32 bit pointers, with all benefits of 64 bit computing.
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I did a try and did not found any enhancement compared to full x86_64 (amd64) build. Worse, some optimized code was replaced by generic code because of the lack of porting.

For me, the idea was interesting but practically dead. I would suggest you to pass to amd64 or x86 ;)
s.verma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear XavierMiller,
Thanks for the suggestions.

But what I wanted to know was "not to select one profile (I have selected x32 already) but whether I can also use desktop profile alongwith it."

So can I create my custom profile with best features of two profiles?
or
Do any profile like x32 restrict me installing desktop profile packages?
or in other words
Are these profiles mere a set of USE flags only or they have something more to choose from?

I searched net and found out that I can start using gentoo without tinkering too much with USE flags, and I can add USE flags on the go as per package requirement, and also recompile packages to suite new USE flags.
Hence if profiles are all about USE flags only and doesn't restrict me installing package foo (don't mind the version) which is available for the my architecture, I wouldn't mind not selecting desktop profile.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: