changing rootfs partition [wii]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GummyGum173
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: changing rootfs partition [wii] Reply with quote

Good evening,

I am new to Gentoo and have installed Witoo! which is a port of Gentoo for the Wii.
After having ALOT of problems on the native install on the SD Card, I've decided to try and move the rootFS to an external HD.

Problem is, the HD only loads after the linux completes boot (I can hear it spin when it's connected, but the light flashes only when the linux finaly boots up).

The wiitoo! dist has a special kernel which is complied into an .elf file, I've browsed it abit and found this line:
Code:
root=/dev/mmcblk0p2

, that I guess points to the rootFS partition, I tried changing the line to /dev/sda1 (which is the rootFS partition I want on the premade external HDD), but the Wii wouldn't boot (can't debug also, as screen just freezes and I have to hard reset).

I've tried playing with /etc/fstab, but that gives me an not found error, when I ran dmesg, again, I've seen that the Wii starts recognising the HD after it sets up wpa_supplicant and wpa_cli...

is there any way to change the rootfs partition AFTER boot, or any way I can trick the Wii to wait for the HD to load, and then search for the rootfs?

Those are the project's sites:
http://wiitoo.sourceforge.net/
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiToo!
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Increasing the time that the kernel waits for the root device can be achieved through rootwait or rootdelay=... kernel parameters (see /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt).

If that doesn't help, it may be possible that the kernel is missing some things which should be built-in rather than modules.

If you (can) use an initramfs, busybox switch_root is your friend.
GummyGum173
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chithanh wrote:
Increasing the time that the kernel waits for the root device can be achieved through rootwait or rootdelay=... kernel parameters (see /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt).

If that doesn't help, it may be possible that the kernel is missing some things which should be built-in rather than modules.

If you (can) use an initramfs, busybox switch_root is your friend.

I read abit online and have foundout that rootwait waits for the partition to load, with no given time.
there is that arg already in the boot proccess, I have waited over an hour and no luck.
I'll look into iniramfs now.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If rootwait is already there, it means that the kernel waits indefinitely for sda1 to become available. Which never happens, because some essential part is built as a module (USB related I guess).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: