Unable to configure Broadcom NetExtreme II network card
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dageyra
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Unable to configure Broadcom NetExtreme II network card Reply with quote

I was upgrading our server to the latest udev, and did not realize that I needed to emerge linux-firmware first to get our NIC to work. I recall this had to be done on a prior server, but this step skipped my mind. I am able to boot into the machine, but I cannot get the network working. We are using a Dell R310 with Broadcom NetExtreme II, on our last Dell we had to emerge linux-firmware to get the network card functional. Unfortunately when I boot into liveCD, it cannot auto detect the network card, and nothing I do seems to be able to get it working. Without a working network, I have no way of emerging linux-firmware to bring the server back online.

Thoughts on how we can get a working network configuration? Thanks,
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SystemRescueCD comes with =sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20131230, as well as has everything needed to get up network for most NICs; consider to use it as your installation and/or repair medium, if you are able to burn a new CD and/or USB.
dageyra
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij wrote:
SystemRescueCD comes with =sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20131230, as well as has everything needed to get up network for most NICs; consider to use it as your installation and/or repair medium, if you are able to burn a new CD and/or USB.

Thanks for the response. I will definitely burn the rescue CD. Here's what I did, let me know if this was foolish.

I copied the /lib/firmware folder from our working server via FTP, put it on a USB disk, booted to livecd, mounted the root, copied the firmware folder over. After rebooting, the network came right up. I am now emerging linux-firmware properly. Is there any problem with this?

One thing that happened is that when I did the emerge, it had a lot of notices about file collisions. Should I do anything to ensure it's all emerged correctly?
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could attempt to move the folder away (`mv /lib/firmware /lib/firmware.bak`) and then emerge the package again; that way, you ensure the folder only contains the files provided by the package. Since the firmware is already loaded into memory, temporarily moving the folder away should be a safe operation; if it is and it succeeds, you can remove /lib/firmware.bak afterwards. A check to see if other packages touch that directory, and thus need to be emerged again; is to run `grep --include='CONTENTS' -rl '^\(dir\|obj\|sym\) /lib/firmware' /var/db/pkg` which will check which packages install into the /lib/firmware directory.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: