Boot Minimal CD (2013) SERIOUS problem on PowerBk and IBook
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnttng
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Boot Minimal CD (2013) SERIOUS problem on PowerBk and IBook Reply with quote

Please I am new in this comunity, I don't know how to move if I ask for the 100dth time the same question please delete my thread.

Question:
I have succesfully installed Gentoo 2006.1 on my Powerbook G4 (1,67 Gh) some years ago (2007).
Now after many years I decided to install a newer edition and I downloaded the current 2013 ppc minimal iso but with my great astonishment it diden't boot any more either on my PowerBook or my IBook (both of them are the last ppc models released in 2005/2006).

I tried all the editions going from 2013 => to 2012 => 2010 => 2009 but unfortunately the error message was always the same.
Something like: "an error occurred.....the memory could not be addressed etc" and then the open firmware prompt tells me to give the command "mac-boot".
The only Cd that still boot is the 2006.1 edition.

What is the problem with the last 7 years of editions ?????

I am really discouraged cause I did not find where is the bug !
Can I use the 2006 edition to have a brand new install with all the new current packages ?
Thank you for listening to my wines.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot Minimal CD (2013) SERIOUS problem on PowerBk and IB Reply with quote

Gnttng wrote:
...Can I use the 2006 edition to have a brand new install with all the new current packages ?
Yes you can. Nothing from the install CD actually ends up in the insalled Gentoo. You might also want to check out SystemRescueCD, though.

- John
Gnttng
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Boot Minimal CD (2013) SERIOUS problem on PowerBk and IB Reply with quote

Thank you for the fast answer...... so I can use different editions or even Systemresque CD to install an update ppc Gentoo, am I right ?
But in order to install Gentoo I will follow strictly and literally the official English manual.
Can I follow the same installation procedure (with the manual) using another Linux distro (or Systemresque) ?

...and what is the issue with the last 7 years minimal CD editions ? Why they all just DON'T work on PowerBook and IBook ?
Thank you again for the help
Gnttng
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: differences in the shell commands over the time Reply with quote

Ok I did some experience with the install and I can now say that there is "AT LEAST" one small difference between the OLD and the NEW install minimal CD's:

I did a brand new install at the same time with an AMD64 and a PPC. The AMD64 was having the newest 2014 install CD and the PPC was using the old 2006.1 CD.
When I reached the point when I have to create the file system on the chosen partition the 2006 install CD did not recognise some commands that were going fine with the 2014 AMD64.
Thus at the end of the day there are some minor differences in the shell commands concerning of course the novelties appeared in the Linux/Gentoo evolution over the time.

File system ext4 does NOT exist in the 2006 shell command but there are other too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: