Installing Gentoo On macbook
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentoo2013
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Installing Gentoo On macbook Reply with quote

Hi i have purchased a macbook with intel processor
Really cant get on with MAC OSX i would like to put Gentoo ontop

I am having trouble finding a decent guide for getting this to work.
Apparently i need to use bootcamp but can not find this anywhere anymore.

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light for me.

I shoudl be ok on the actually install side of things.

Just need some help with the beginning as its a bit different.

Thanks guys
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo On macbook Reply with quote

gentoo2013 wrote:
I am having trouble finding a decent guide for getting this to work. Apparently i need to use bootcamp but can not find this anywhere anymore.

gentoo2013 ... very briefly (as I'm too busy with other things for a more detailed reply) ... no, bootcamp isn't required, infact I'd advise you not to use it (as its really designed for dual booting with windows, so BIOS).

Some questions:

1). which macbook?
2). do you wish to dual boot, or linux only?
3). do you have a suitable bootcd that supports EFI? (if its not a macbook1,1 then a recent sysresccd should work)

gentoo2013 wrote:
Just need some help with the beginning as its a bit different.

Its not that different, the major issue is that you would need to install a EFI capable bootloader (ie, rEFInd) and so need to be carefull to get this working correctly (if OSX is to remain a boot option).

best ... khay
gentoo2013
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to completely remove osx

I dont want to dual boot

i did download something like rEFInd which was mentioned in a guide.

But i have not looked at the program.

But im getting really confused and wanted to make sure i was following the correct things before i mess the laptop up.

macbook unibody dual core 8gb ram 500 gig harddrive
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo2013 wrote:
macbook unibody dual core 8gb ram 500 gig harddrive

gentoo2013 ... ok, well, I somewhat expected the model identifier but given the amount of RAM I assume this is a more recent model, and so will have 64bit EFI. I can guide you through the basic setup/install, but I'm not familiar with certain hardware (such as Nvidea card setup ... but a search here should provide some clue as to how to go about this).

So, start by installing rEFInd from OSX ... the manual instructions are probably best as you need to install to the ESP (EFI System Partition). Once installed, reboot and test that rEFInd shows on boot. If successful you should see a graphical menu with EFI bootable executables listed (so the OSX install, and any boot disks, CD's, bootable USBSticks, etc).

Create a boot disk if you don't already have one, this bootdisk must support EFI boot, so *not* the gentoo-minimal CD, a sysrescuecd (see link above), or some other install disk that supports EFI is fine (Ubuntu, and probably others). You can use a CD or create a USBStick for this. On rebooting rEFInd should offer the CD/USBStick as a boot option. As these EFI boot capable disks also offer BIOS booting you may see a windows icon, don't select this, select the EFI executable (it should show as a "grub" icon). You should then be provided with a grub2 menu, with sysrescuecd select one or other of the 64bit kernels, altker64 is probably best (you might also want 'docache' so the CD/USBStick can be removed).

On booting successfully into the CD/USBStick check 'efivars' is available

Code:
# modprobe efivars
# efibootmgr -v

You should see various data about what efi executables the EFI firmware knows about ... its enough to know that it works (and btw, you should see a "File(\efi\refind\refind_x64.efi)" in the list).

From this point you follow the handbook as you would normally, though do not touch the ESP (sda1) when you partition the disk. Use a disk partition utility that supports GPT, ie 'gdisk' (not 'fdisk' which is for MBR).

You may want to create a separate /boot partition, or use the ESP as /boot, or even have /boot on the root filesystem. All of these will work, as long as the filesystem used on that partition is supported by rEFInd (ext{2,4}, vfat, reiserfs). I'd suggest using the ESP (the default is 200mb and so more than capable of providing enough storage for a number of kernels/initramfs).

Once you've completed your install and are at the point of building your kernel enable the following ...

Code:
CONFIG_EFI=y
CONFIG_RELOCATABLE=y
CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION=y
CONFIG_EFI_VARS=m
CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y

You could also enable CONFIG_FB_EFI and CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE but I would leave these out and follow the Nvidea guide and/or whatever info you can find from a forum search.

Move the kernel (and initramfs if you built/need one) to /boot (wherever that might be). On rebooting rEFInd should find it and offer it as a boot option. If you need to provide kernel parameters for the boot then create a /boot/refind_linux.conf and add the parameters to this, eg:

/boot/refind_linux.conf
Code:
"Boot softlevel default"  "ro acpi_backlight=vendor rootfstype=ext4"
"Boot softlevel single"   "ro acpi_backlight=vendor rootfstype=ext4 softlevel=single"

That should about cover it ... if you have any additional questions just ask.

best ... khay

Last edited by khayyam on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
gentoo2013
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply.

I am going to have a play around tonight with this.
The main install should be fine so as long as i can get this boot part working i will hopefully be fine.
I will get back to you with my results.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: