[SOLVED] Core2Quad Q6600 --> Haswell Xeon E3-1230
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pakjebakmeel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Core2Quad Q6600 --> Haswell Xeon E3-1230 Reply with quote

Hiya,

I've upgraded my server in the past, it went from an Intel Atom D2700 to an Intel Core2Quad Q6600 without major issues. I'm using march=native and I'm looking at upgrading my motherboard, CPU and memory again. The replacement CPU will be an Intel Xeon E3-1230, as it worked before using Atom --> Core2 I suppose Core2 --> Xeon Haswell should work too?

Anything in particular I need to take into account? Last time I upgraded I just swapped the hardware and it booted fine. Then I recompiled the kernel with the correct CPU selection and recompiled world afterwards. I'm now using Core2/Xeon CPU in the kernel so that will not change.

I think I can swap the hardware and recompile world?

old: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5WDG2_WS_Professional/
new: http://ark.intel.com/products/71385/Intel-Server-Board-S1200V3RPS

Any advise? Concerns?

Last edited by pakjebakmeel on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
pakjebakmeel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this topic:

http://forums-web2.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-962254-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html?sid=4c7f484fe667ec871acccb2591344743

So I think I should be fine.. Memory should arrive today so I'm good to go ;-)

EDIT:

I have swapped the hardware and it booted just fine. My new CPU has hyperthreading and the old CPU did not so I wanted to enable the additional logical CPU's. Hyperthreading is enabled in the BIOS.

CONFIG_NR_CPUS was still set to 4. When I change CONFIG_NR_CPUS to 8 and enable the hyperthreading scheduler the system does not boot.

When booting I can see 8 penguins during kernel dmesg. This means it has 4 cores with HT enabled making 8 logical CPU's. The dmesg looks fine but when loading OpenRC it hangs on "waiting for uevents to be processed" and gets stuck there. When I recompile the kernel with CONFIG_NR_CPUS =4 and reboot it shows 4 penguins and it boots fine.

so changing CONFIG_NR_CPUS=4 to CONFIG_NR_CPUS=8 makes it hang on uevents.. :roll:

any clues or hints?

EDIT 2:

Seems to be ok now. It was still bootable off the kernel with CONFIG_NR_CPUS=4 but after rebuilding it my machine wasn't booting anymore. Did't get to the part of uevents. Booted a live USB, rebuilt system, rebuilt world and rebooted.

Now it came up with some stack trace during boot. The trace mentioned something about ZFS and my MPT2SAS module. I thought it would be a long shot and I built the MPT2SAS into the kernel instead of using a module and it works fine now.

Not quite sure what the problem was exactly but it's solved now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: