pulseaudio/alsa volume issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fresherthanever
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: pulseaudio/alsa volume issues Reply with quote

Hello

I've recently found out that, after installing my system and being satisfied with it for weeks, that it will not play multiple sounds at once properly, especially while changing volume. When I play a youtube video (or any source of sound at all from Firefox), the sound from the video will be boosted to maximum and will become extremely scratchy and interfered. As I don't know where to start and have no idea how to operate Linux audio (I use both ALSA and PulseAudio globally), I don't know what data I should dump to diagnose this situation.

lspci -k
Code:
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8444
   Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

Might this be related to .asoundrc (I have alsaequal installed)? I've tried a lot of configs and decided to just revert to none :/

Thanks!

Last edited by fresherthanever on Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
fresherthanever
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't solve this problem, so a much needed bump.
I have reverted my .asoundrc to

Code:
pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
}

ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
}

I had tried to force dmix previously to get an equalizer by:
Code:

ctl.equal {
   type equal;
}

pcm.plugequal {
    type equal;
   slave.pcm "plughw:0,0";
}

pcm.equal{
    type plug;
    slave.pcm plugequal;
}

to no avail. In running alsamixer -D equal, alsa claims:
Code:
ALSA lib ctl_equal.c:268:(_snd_ctl_equal_open) Problem with control file .alsaequal.bin, 3.
cannot open mixer: Operation not permitted

Playing any sound concurrently with 2 applications causes the distortion and elevated sound level of at least one of them. I have reinstalled alsa-libs/alsautils/alsamixer/alsaequal twice with stock CFLAGS, also no effect.

My theory is that alsa doesn't properly mix the sounds and when volume is raised or lowered. I wouldn't know a thing about audio in linux so help please :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: