Authoring DVDs from MKV files
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Authoring DVDs from MKV files Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been pulling my hair out in trying to convert and mkv file with subtitles to a DVD that can be played on a home player. To make matters more arcane, the mkv is often in NTSC and I would like to convert them to PAL. I have tried avidemux over the past two days and the results are uniformly poor with lagging audio, crashes, and other problems. I am happy to work on the command line, but have been unable to find reasonable guides. Is there anybody here who can point me to something reasonably clear? I know the thread on the forums and used it in the past, but it is outdated as transcode crashes these days.

Best

Alex
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think there is no easy wa to do this (only the other way round :wink: ) and i've never done it, but i think at least these steps are involved (and it can't be done with avidemux alone, but there shozuld be linux-progs for every step involved):

-extract the streams you want from the mkv-file with mkvextract (media-video/mkvtoolnix)
-transcode the resulting files so they conform to dvd-video-specs (with ffmpeg, mencoder, avidemux, ...) the subs might be problematic but spumux (media-video/dvdauthor) seems to able to handle it.
-then you can author your dvd with dvdauthor or some gui-program.
if you try it let me know if you succeed.
GOOD LUCK!
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Authoring DVDs from MKV files Reply with quote

evoweiss wrote:
Hi, I've been pulling my hair out in trying to convert and mkv file with subtitles to a DVD that can be played on a home player.

That's not really a problem. mkv container to avi container or whatever else container is just easy and Avidemux will happily do that for you.
The most difficult problem can come from the codecs. MKV can contain video/audio encoded via tons of more or less exotic codecs that avidemux or your home player won't be happy with.

What does mediainfo tell you about your MKV files ?
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never personally done this, but I think that DeVeDe, Tovid, and HandBrake are some tools that should be able to accomplish this for you.

Good Luck..
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

converting the videofiles themselves is no problem (my tool of choice for this would be ffmpeg because it has a preset for this format, i think).
the way i understand it, th OP wants to create a "standards-compliant "Video-DVD" with subtitles which has quite strict requirements: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video-DVD to watch it (as a DVD-Video) on a dvd-player connected to a tv.

while they are quite nice, those python-progs like devede and tovid cannot do subs at all (and devede has been crashing on my box for a long time). so i think the only way to go is prepare all the files according to the dvd-video-standard and then use spumux/dvdauthor to create the DVD-files.
(i think soon i'll try this myself with a recently produced mkv.)
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Authoring DVDs from MKV files Reply with quote

evoweiss wrote:
Hi,

I've been pulling my hair out in trying to convert and mkv file with subtitles to a DVD that can be played on a home player. To make matters more arcane, the mkv is often in NTSC and I would like to convert them to PAL. I have tried avidemux over the past two days and the results are uniformly poor with lagging audio, crashes, and other problems. I am happy to work on the command line, but have been unable to find reasonable guides. Is there anybody here who can point me to something reasonably clear? I know the thread on the forums and used it in the past, but it is outdated as transcode crashes these days.

Best

Alex

For doing to PAL conversion, I'd recommend using ffmpeg directly:

Code:

ffmpeg -i movie.mkv -target pal-dvd output.mpg

I'm guessing at syntax but I think that's right.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Bombono DVD in Linux to create a DVD-Video disc from a MKV file

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: