View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deltamalloc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Strange issue with poor performance in X Reply with quote

When I drag a window around it takes several seconds to "catch up" to the coordinates I drag it to. The window will very slowly move to this location.

I have done several world updates since this started to happen as well as compiled several new kernels, but I've also tried to revert to the last known good kernel before this started to happen, it didn't help.

OpenGL programs like glxgears work fine, no errors or warnings, good performance. OpenCL programs work. Video performance in flash on e.g. Youtube work fine, scrolling in e.g. Firefox works fine (no lag or poor performance).

However:

Trying to get mplayer to play a video file causes X to instantly crash and restart, with no errors in dmesg.

What is causing this? There are no other known issues with the system, this is a Core i7, 6 GB RAM, Radeon 7970. Even a 10 year old system without a dedicated graphics card has anything remotely like this "window catchup" effect.

There are no errors in my X log, however there are the following warnings:

Code:

[    15.620] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/" does not exist.
[    15.620] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/OTF/" does not exist.
[    15.620] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/" does not exist.
[    15.621] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/".
[    15.720] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
[    15.833] (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@2:0:1) found
[    15.927] (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
[    16.181] (WW) fglrx(0): Option "OverlayOnDFP7" is not used
[    16.749] (WW) fglrx(0): TFD direct rotation is not supported currently with multi-viewport screen
[    16.804] (WW) evdev: Logitech G9 Laser Mouse: ignoring absolute axes.

There is the following that may be related in the kernel log (dmesg):

Code:

[  416.308608] <3>[fglrx:KAS_Mutex_Release] *ERROR* Mutex released without holding it.
[  513.957214] <3>[fglrx:KAS_Mutex_Release] *ERROR* Mutex released without holding it.
[  680.139959] <3>[fglrx:KAS_Mutex_Release] *ERROR* Mutex released without holding it.

However note that I have seen these mutex errors before I ever had this issue, I don't think it is related at all.

Any ideas?
olek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What window-manager are you using?

And for the mplayer-crash: what video-output are you using and what are your USE-flags for mplayer?
deltamalloc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olek wrote:
What window-manager are you using?

And for the mplayer-crash: what video-output are you using and what are your USE-flags for mplayer?

I'm using XFCE as my window manager.

I don't give mplayer any arguments, and my ~/.mplayer/config file is empty, so mplayer is using whatever is default, I'm assuming. I tried looking in the mplayer manual to figure out what it uses for default video output, but it doesn't seem to specify this.

I'm not specifying any USE-flags for mplayer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: