View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingcrabmeat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Multiple Issues with XFCE After Updates Reply with quote

I'm including all of these issues in one post because I feel they relate to XFCE primarily and I didn't want to flood the board with separate topics.

When I change the screen brightness, presumably using XFCE's power manager, the display shows the levels changing but there is no effect on the brightness of the screen itself. I have CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_GENERIC enabled in the kernel. I'm using intel display drivers for integrated graphics. I have re-emerged xfce4-power-manager and xfce4-panel to no effect.

If I attempt to open a Flash file from a local directory from either Firefox or Chrome, the browser prompts me to save the file rather than load it as expected. This is contrary to the browser's behavior when Flash files are loaded from the web. I troubleshooted MIME settings by clearing my home folder of any local configuration files. That should have restored the browser and desktop environment behaviors to their default settings but I had no such luck with Flash. I suspect the browser is not involved because the behavior affects both Chrome and Firefox. I would rather avoid installing Adobe's developer packages without a proper ebuild just to get a stand-alone Flash player that interfaces with the adobe-flash. If Gnash was able to implement the proprietary libraries, I would use it.

The final issue that comes to mind is extremely minor but imposing upon my sanity regardless. The power manager is set to display battery information in the notification area and sometimes, not always, an undefined (big red X) icon appears next to the standard battery status icon. There is no option that gets rid of it but setting battery information to never display. I figured this would fix itself eventually but has not after many, many months.

The first two issues may be XFCE-related because they occured after the same world update but I'm not certain. I'm just hoping there is another XFCE user out there who has already found a fix. Very reluctantly, I am willing to experiment with other lightweight desktop environments to see if they get aroud the problems I'm having. Any recommendations for a comparably robust, lightweight, gtk-based desktop environment would be appreciated. I previously used Gnome (lite) in fallback mode because I couldn't tollerate a mobile-ish interface on a PC.
ascendant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about the other issues, but Google led me to this post when I experienced the same issue with opening flash files. This is caused by an update to x11-misc/shared-mime-info. Just downgrade this package to 1.0 and your browsers should be able to play flash files again.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xdg/shared-mime-info/commit/?id=2d385ff07eae60f9d92bf932ed7e95fa94dc276d
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: