Simple mail system for computer lab?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owemeacent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Simple mail system for computer lab? Reply with quote

I'm volunteering for this school's computer lab in which I will be admin for. It has really old computers(haven't been updated since the XP days), and I want to turn everything around and make it state-of-the-art software, and because the computers are from like 2005 I'll mostly be using lubuntu on a majority of them them, but some of them, the ones that are most powerful, will be make into servers for backup, etc made from Gentoo. But something I want to implement in the computer lab is a messaging system. I want it to work like this: I find that a user called user4 is on comp14 that's been trying to mess with other users file system's(of course that won't happen but let's say it does), I'd want to be able to send him a message using the server computer telling him to stop or else. So every user's username is also their mailing account on their computer. Would any software out there be able to achieve this? Also notice that I have to get all the computers up and running in a very simple amount of time, I also wouldn't mind if I didn't have to setup bind or any domain thing, just use the computer's hostname. And for the software to be really easy to setup and deploy. And when a user gets mail, there would be a notification when he logs in on his desktop enviroment. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Also any extra advice on managing a computer lab would be great! :)
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple mail system for computer lab? Reply with quote

owemeacent wrote:
It has really old computers

So old that they don't know CRLFs ? :evil:
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please clarify what you mean?
manueltorrez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can not understand what you trying to say about mail system ? :?
c00l.wave
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple mail system for computer lab? Reply with quote

owemeacent wrote:
really old computers [...] from like 2005

I'd call those computers quite modern, actually. Depends on who you ask. ;)

manueltorrez wrote:
i can not understand what you trying to say about mail system ? :?

My guess is he's searching a way to popup targeted administrative messages. So he wants to send user johndoe@client123 some message like "stop printing tons of empty pages, last warning before reporting you". I don't know how huge that computer lab is but if it isn't like a university lab of 80+ machines in one big room I find it unnecessary (and, depending on the students, highly ineffective) to actually send such messages on-screen remotely. The school I went to had about 10 computers per lab and if it's like that it's much easier and efficient to actually stand up and talk to the user directly. Still remember it's a school, so unless you are dealing with highly disciplined students, no matter what you do, you will be making a monkey of yourself either way.

If it really has to be some messaging software: There was something like that for terminals long time ago but I can't remember how it was called (could have been mesg, wall, talk). Most-likely it wouldn't work for graphical desktop environments unless a shell is open which I doubt is the common case for regular users today. It was also meant to work on terminal servers, so I'm not sure it works via network across multiple machines that don't share resources. If it's really necessary, I would consider implementing something like that myself with e.g. Java and some message queue server such as RabbitMQ.
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing you could look at is pidgin with bonjour for link-local messaging. bonjour is enabled with the zeroconf use flag.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: