Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] problem emerging openmpi (beowulf cluster)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bawig1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] problem emerging openmpi (beowulf cluster) Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to install openmpi on an ARM device (raspberry pi) and am running into some problems. The build starts but numactl fails to build and the whole process stops. The build log is at;

http://bpaste.net/show/181004/

It mentions something in the build log about kernel headers, I'm not sure if this is the problem or something else.

Code:
"Add syscalls for your architecture or update kernel headers"

I've been using crossdev and distcc to offload the compiling to my Gentoo netbook. I don't think this is the problem because the build fails if I am not using distcc as well.

thanks,

Brett.

Last edited by bawig1 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
bawig1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a solution to this problem and thought I'd share in case anyone else had the crazy idea of building a beowulf cluster out of raspberry pi's using gentoo and openmpi....

First of all the error was to do with numactl. The problem lies in the source file syscall.c .. There is no syscall entry in there for ARM, but this doesn't matter because the PI doesn't have numa support. So you don't actually need numactl at all. The problem is one of the packages that gets pulled in with openmpi has the option to use numa. The solution to that is to add -numa to your use flags and numactl is no longer pulled in with openmpi!

I found a page about building beowulf clusters with gentoo just as a general interest thing;

http://wiki.neuralbs.com/index.php/Howto_Build_a_Basic_Gentoo_Beowulf_Cluster

happy trails :)

Brett.
xxBartonxx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replying to your post, I just ran into the exact same issue building my RPi Beowulf Cluster :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: