Mpd fails to build against libvorbis 1.3.4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lefta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Mpd fails to build against libvorbis 1.3.4 Reply with quote

Hi there,

I was on mpd 1.8.5 when portage wanted to update it. I let it do but the compiler complained at link stage that it didn't found symbol libvorbis_block_ something and complaining about DSO, I don't remember the exact message. I masked all updates, waiting for it to be fixed, but today I removed a use flag making mpd to rebuild. The result is that mpd build failed, but it passed some time ago. That is the reason that pushed me to try to downgrade libvorbis to 1.3.3-r1. Mpd 1.8.5 and its update 1.8.(8?) built fine.

So can anyone else could confirm and report this as a bug, or is it only my system? I use clang as my main compiler, using only gcc for broken packages. Of course I tried building mpd with gcc, the first thing I try on build fail. I didn't try with libvorbis thought.
If it is a bug, I suggest to make mpd ebuild masking libvorbis 1.3.4 waiting for it to be fixed.

EDIT: Just an idea like this, but as clang seems to be widely used, and is going to be more and more used, why not warning users when the package is known to fail with clang? Something like an ewarn in the ebuild saying "This package is known to fail building with clang, continue at your own risk". It would avoid them building the package, reading build errors, and retrying with gcc. Or like I did with mesa, building the package and wondering why it crashes.

Have a good day. (night?)

ps : I apologize if my english is not so good :( .
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you file this bug at Gentoo Bugzilla? Read here how to write a bug report, for more in-depth details and troubleshooting steps you can read our Bugzilla HOWTO.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: