[SOLVED] End trace
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milos9304
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] End trace Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
I decided to move from Debian to Gentoo, looks really great but I do not have much experience with internal structure of Linux, so installation from minimal iso was a proof for me and I learned a lot new. But unfortunately, the installed system can not start. I tried in reinstalling three times, I was following this handbook http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml step by step. My architecture is AMD64. I use native for -march in CFLAGS. My disc is partitioned exactly like in the handbook. Everything gone well, till the time I used a command reboot. GRUB ran with no problem, problem appeared after hitting enter. I though everything will go well until I got a message End trace. I captured the screen with the error message, but I have no idea how to put images here, so I uploaded it to google cloud, you can view it by clicking on this link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxsIElz7hJULX1pmZ2lsMTdqR1k/edit?usp=sharing Do you have an idea what could cause the error? I can post here content of any file from a disk where gentoo is installed, just tell me which one. Thank you so much, I can not move on :(

Btw, do you know any good books which I should read about Gentoo?

Last edited by Milos9304 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
dambacher
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi milos9304

you took a picture of a stack trace after a kernel bug during boot.
unfortunately i can't see something from the end of the trace.

Try booting again and if you hit the trace again, try using <shift>-<page up> and <shift>-<page down> to scroll the screen.
The interesting part would be the last ~10 lines before the stack trace and the first ~5 lines of the stack trace.

you can always use your boot medium and the steps of the handbook to set up the chroot (4f, 6a) to get back to the status before hitting enter to scrutinize your kernel setup.

What kernel did you choose?
What configuration method did you choose? manual or genkernel?
Do you have some special hardware?
Milos9304
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the reply.

Shift + PgUp and Shift + PgDown does not work for me:(

So I decided to capture the startup on a video camera. I noticed that I get an error before entering GRUB. It says:
Quote:
error: file '/grub/locale/en.gmo' not found.

I opened the folder /grub/locale and I found many files starting with en, but I do not know which is right for me and where I should set it, this is the list of them:
Quote:
en@piglatin.mo en@arabic.mo en@quot.mo en@cyrillic.mo en@greek.mo en@hebrew.mo

But I do not think this can cause End trace error. According to the video everything gone well before the screen, which you saw in the image, appeared. There were not any errors, but the last line before the screen, you saw in the image, is:
Quote:
Switching to clocksource tsc

I also forgot to mention that Caps Lock and Scroll Lock leds on keyboard are blinking..

I chose gentoo-sources kernel, exactly like in the handbook. I used manual configuration. I do not have any special hardware.

I am sorry if you did not understand anything, I am not English native speaker.

//EDIT: I found suggestions on the internet to use netconsole. Do you think it would help me to find out the problem?
dambacher
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this out:
http://superuser.com/questions/378947/linux-kernel-hangs-at-switching-to-clocksource-tsc-on-pentium-4

and maybe try
Code:
clocksource=acpi_pm

as additional kernel parameter

--
the grub error is a minor one, it would not affect boot negatively, only tries to set your language preferences.
keyboard blinking is normal for kernel bugs.
netconsole or serial console can help to capture the early kernel log output, but don't ask me how to do this .-( I never needet it.
Milos9304
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your effort.
I don't know how I did it but it showed me reason why kernel was panicting:
Quote:
KERNEL PANIC- Unable to mount root fs on unknown-bloc( 0 , 0 )

I read about this error in this forum, allowed some PATA and ext drivers in kernel configuration and know it works :)
dambacher
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done then.
so you can put a [solved] to the title ...
bye
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: