[Solved] iwlwifi 7260 driver/firmware problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boucleinfinie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: [Solved] iwlwifi 7260 driver/firmware problems Reply with quote

First time installing Gentoo. Had successful restart. Enabled the iwlwifi and e1000e (ethernet) in the kernel. I've put the iwlwifi-7260.ucode and license (from here http://goo.gl/x51JDi) in the /lib/firmware. I can only ever get the loopback from the command "ifconfig". When chrooted in Xubuntu I can access internet and "ifconfig" has all interfaces there.

I'm using an x201 laptop with the 82577LM Gigabit NIC and the intel 7260HMW AC wireless card: http://goo.gl/IfS4kC

From what i've been reading, using modprobe should make it work, but all it does is give no output and continue what it was doing. I've also followed a bunch of guides and other forum posts about different things to enable in the kernel, but those don't seem to be making a difference. I don't remember where the changes were because that was hours ago and there was quite a few forum posts I shifted through.

In short, something isn't detecting my ethernet or wireless cards and I'd like help getting those to work please.

I don't know what logs to post, so if someone could instruct me, that would be great.

Last edited by boucleinfinie on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
dziadu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to install sys-kernel/linux-firmware, it provides proper firmware. In my case the file name has suffix -9 for recent kernel (3.16) and -8 for previous. I guess will work for you as well.

About your current firmware - without system logs (/var/log/message) it is hard to say anything. In my case with kernel 5.16 and firmware -8 I had explicit message about wrong firmware version.
boucleinfinie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dziadu wrote:
In my case the file name has suffix -9 for recent kernel (3.16) and -8 for previous.

Thanks. I must have missed this. I was using the -9 with the 3.14.14 kernel. I just updated to 3.16. I'll see if that works and report back.

In the meantime, here's the messages log. Also, excuse the host name. I let my brother choose it.

http://pastebin.com/vyXL5Tb6

Edit: linux-firmware did not help.

Edit2: I also tried updating e1000e manually and that didn't work. I have the proper firmware for both NICs, and I have all the kernel options described in the wiki. I am not sure what I'm missing.

Edit3: also not working with vanilla genkernel. Still only getting the loopback from ifconfig.

Edit4: I'm just going to reinstall the stage 3. Not losing much work. backing up all config files i used that I know worked. If it happens again I'll make another post.
boucleinfinie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-did the stage 3 install. I got the system to boot up with kernel 3.16.1.

I got the error that the system couldn't find suitable firmware for the iwlwifi-7260 thing, but i fixed that by loading it as a module which apparently was the issue.

I then got hangs at boot because I didn't enable "Automount devtmpfs at /dev, after the kernel mounted the rootfs " in the kernel, which I did do this time.

Now that I'm into the OS, I am still getting only the loopback from ifconfig. I'm also not getting any logs put into /var/log to post so I don't know what to post now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: ifconfig -a works now, didn't on last install. Making changes to configs as needed for new interface names.

New problem: entire root drive is mounting as read only even with rw specified in the fstab so it's not saving any logs and it is not allowing me to change configuration files.

my root fstab has the options "rw,discard,noatime." I'll figure it out tomorrow because i'm tired of entering all the commands for chrooting over and over and it's 2:20.

Edit 2: Everything is fixed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: