Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Transparent window on top but not clickable - possible?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrittenh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Transparent window on top but not clickable - possible? Reply with quote

I use fluxbox + xcompmgr to set transparency on windows. I have no idea if this is even possible, but here's what I'd like to do: I'd like to be able to open a window of some sort, set transparency on it, set it "on top", and then <do something here> to make it so that it's strictly a graphical overlay that has no actual existence unless I <do something else>. Basically, I'd like to be able to stream the olympics, but I don't want to lose any screen real estate. I currently have the transparency set to 20. It works great because I can see the video if I focus on it, but if I am looking at something else, it becomes a problem. I'll see a link I want to click on a browser page behind the video, or a button in a program, but instead I end up clicking on the video window. If I could leave it as-is, but the window only works if I activate it via key combo or clicking on the window's tab in the toolbar, it'd be perfect. Is this possible? How?
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Olympics have come and gone but here is some info about how to do it inside a program. Google(xwindows pass mouse events to window underneath) for other solutions.
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrittenh, did you succeeded?

I would like to set up a "foreground wallpaper" and came across this topic. But the solution pointed by BitJam is over technical for me...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: