Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What portage tree is for?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: What portage tree is for? Reply with quote

... If to install the last version of Firefox I need to use an overlay, then what main portage tree is made for?
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only current versions of packages are kept in tree. Firefox has a long history of security fixes in every major release, so it is common for older Firefox versions to be expired quickly.
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must not have sync'd recently. The main portage tree has the latest versions of Firefox. New versions of software are checked that they work before they are placed in the main portage tree. New development often occurs in overlays. If you don't like the speed with which this process occurs, you might consider becoming a Gentoo developer, since many projects are understaffed.
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gentoo Mozilla project is indeed understaffed (one of its members told me on IRC); if someone has interest in helping out, feel free to send a mail at mozilla@g.o (expand g.o to the full Gentoo domain name).
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Only current versions of packages are kept in tree. Firefox has a long history of security fixes in every major release, so it is common for older Firefox versions to be expired quickly.

Exactly. And the current version is... 27 !

P.S. Are you sure you have read my message?
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurly wrote:
You must not have sync'd recently. The main portage tree has the latest versions of Firefox. New versions of software are checked that they work before they are placed in the main portage tree. New development often occurs in overlays. If you don't like the speed with which this process occurs, you might consider becoming a Gentoo developer, since many projects are understaffed.

At the time of writing my post, there were NO Firefox ebuild in portage tree. It appears first in Stuff overlay 1 week after release.

P.S.Recently means every 5 or 4 minutes?
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lefsha wrote:
kurly wrote:

At the time of writing my post, there were NO Firefox ebuild in portage tree. It appears first in Stuff overlay 1 week after release.

P.S.Recently means every 5 or 4 minutes?

Recently means today, you should not sync more than once per day.

From /usr/portage/www-client/firefox/ChangeLog (which is in main portage tree)...
Quote:
09 Feb 2014; Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@gentoo.org> +firefox-24.3.0.ebuild,
+firefox-27.0.ebuild:
Security bump (bug #500320).

From /usr/portage/www-client/firefox-bin/ChangeLog (which is in main portage tree)...
Quote:
07 Feb 2014; Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@gentoo.org>
+firefox-bin-24.3.0.ebuild, -firefox-bin-25.0.ebuild,
+firefox-bin-27.0.ebuild:
Security bump (bug #500320). Removed old.

Firefox 27 is available both as source and binary in the main portage tree. What overlay are you talking about?
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now check the date when it was released...

If you really want to know what overlay I am talking about - open your eyes and read previous message again.
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I'll have to stand by my original advice: "If you don't like the speed with which this process occurs, you might consider becoming a Gentoo developer, since many projects are understaffed."

Did you really just come to the forums to complain? Because that's what it seems like, and that won't get software available any faster.
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't get my point. I was not talking about how fast this or that package can get available,
but about ignorance from gentoo developers about all overlays available for gentoo.
You offer me to be one of those? - No, thx.

Currently it's almost impossible to use gentoo without using overlays. Many packages not included
into main tree without any reasonable argument. The funny thing is, that everything gentoo developers
blame overlay distributed packages is applicable to the main tree as well. And more than that, nobody pushes
anyone to install any package from the overlay as well as from the main tree.

Also I don't take the argument for stable branch being more stable than unstable.
In my case everything is opposite. The unstable branch is more stable and some packages are not available
in stable branch at all. Mostly if upstream marks the certain version as stable gentoo devs keep call it
unstable another several years. The funny thing is, that some of those "stable" packages can't get compliled,
because of error in Makefile like libva, but the newest unstable and masked version compiles and works just fine...

At the same time very stable versions are deleted from the tree and replaced by really unstable ones,
which automatically without testing became stable. Just because there is another one which is newer.

Why not be honest to yourself and everyone else? Why not to drop the stable branch completely?
Frankly speaking gentoo can not be stable by it's nature. Either you give the user full control on
package compilation procedure or you compile CentOS by yourself and then call it stable.
That will be fair to every one.

Why not drop gentoo tree as a main tree and call it gentoo overlay demonstrating clear position to users or...
include _all_ packages available through different overlays into main tree and STOP crying that there is not enough
developers working for gentoo...

Again, if you read the first post carefully again, may be twice if necessary, you will find, that last version of firefox was
available through the overlay BEFORE it became available in the main tree. It does mean not writing ebuild is a problem,
but something else...

And definitely I would not write this post if that kind of things would not happen too many times to different
software projects. Now it has reached the level of firefox - the package 99% people are using.
Normally it should motivate some one to think why that could happen...

And if his conclusion will be a lack of developers brought us here, than probably he needs to go back to school...
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ lefsha,
Quote:"And if his conclusion will be a lack of developers brought us here, than probably he needs to go back to school...

You're being rude!
Nobody forces you to use Gentoo.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your point lefsha, and you are completely missing mine. If you don't want to help, then get out of the way. Your complaining does not help. Volunteers are working for you, and you are belittling their efforts. Nobody wants to hear you complain and then refuse to help. I hope you will find happiness some day, but nobody owes you anything, and your insults will not help your situation nor improve your mood. Good luck in your future, but I think you will find no satisfaction here if you continue with your current actions and words.

You have a lot to learn yourself. Insulting me and insulting others will never help you. I can read just fine; you just don't like what I am writing. I'm sorry I tried to help you; it is clear that it was not an effective use of my time.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lefsha wrote:
Hu wrote:

Exactly. And the current version is... 27 !

P.S. Are you sure you have read my message?
Quite sure. Since the current version is 27, and is in the tree, and the last version is 26, and is in the tree, I do not understand what you think is wrong here.
skellr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: What portage tree is for? Reply with quote

lefsha wrote:
... If to install the last version of Firefox I need to use an overlay, then what main portage tree is made for?

What have you been doing since you registered in 2004? Are you kidding me?
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lefsha wrote:
You don't get my point. I was not talking about how fast this or that package can get available,
but about ignorance from gentoo developers about all overlays available for gentoo.
You offer me to be one of those? - No, thx.

Overlays fit purposes other than wide scale usage by all Gentoo users, there could very well be dangerous, specific or breaking code there; compared to the portage tree which has quality assurance, stability and security practices with wide scale usage in mind. We help users increase the quality of their overlay packages, as well as getting it into the Portage tree. Communication is expected to happen by both sides; as without communication, just plain out plundering overlays will have its bad unintended consequences.

lefsha wrote:
Currently it's almost impossible to use gentoo without using overlays. Many packages not included
into main tree without any reasonable argument. The funny thing is, that everything gentoo developers
blame overlay distributed packages is applicable to the main tree as well. And more than that, nobody pushes
anyone to install any package from the overlay as well as from the main tree.

The amount of contributions to the Portage tree limits us to covering just a part of all the software that are out there.

lefsha wrote:
Also I don't take the argument for stable branch being more stable than unstable.
In my case everything is opposite. The unstable branch is more stable and some packages are not available
in stable branch at all. Mostly if upstream marks the certain version as stable gentoo devs keep call it
unstable another several years. The funny thing is, that some of those "stable" packages can't get compliled,
because of error in Makefile like libva, but the newest unstable and masked version compiles and works just fine...

The amount of contributions to our extra stabilization limits us to covering just a part of all the packages that are out there.

lefsha wrote:
At the same time very stable versions are deleted from the tree and replaced by really unstable ones,
which automatically without testing became stable. Just because there is another one which is newer.

Have yet to see such "automatically without testing" practices happen, since we have stabilization practices;
if you however do spot someone doing this, feel free to let me know.

lefsha wrote:
Why not be honest to yourself and everyone else? Why not to drop the stable branch completely?
Frankly speaking gentoo can not be stable by it's nature. Either you give the user full control on
package compilation procedure or you compile CentOS by yourself and then call it stable.
That will be fair to every one.

We're quite honest. We keep it because it is useful to people. The stabilization procedure itself permits Gentoo to be stable.

lefsha wrote:
Why not drop gentoo tree as a main tree and call it gentoo overlay demonstrating clear position to users or...
include _all_ packages available through different overlays into main tree and STOP crying that there is not enough
developers working for gentoo...

We keep a main tree because we need a main tree and we keep the rest of the packages in overlays; see the first paragraph as to why.

lefsha wrote:
Again, if you read the first post carefully again, may be twice if necessary, you will find, that last version of firefox was
available through the overlay BEFORE it became available in the main tree. It does mean not writing ebuild is a problem,
but something else...

Yes, the mozilla team bumps this in their overlay prior to bumping it in the Portage tree; as to first test its quality, before releasing it to the masses.

lefsha wrote:
And definitely I would not write this post if that kind of things would not happen too many times to different
software projects. Now it has reached the level of firefox - the package 99% people are using.
Normally it should motivate some one to think why that could happen...

That is a broad generalization.

lefsha wrote:
And if his conclusion will be a lack of developers brought us here, than probably he needs to go back to school...

School tells me that when not enough people can work on a group project, the project can only be as good as the amount of people that do work on it; or simply put: More contributions, more gentoos.
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij wrote:
lefsha wrote:
but something else...

Yes, the mozilla team bumps this in their overlay prior to bumping it in the Portage tree; as to first test its quality, before releasing it to the masses.

Well, in this particular case we didn't bump firefox in mozilla overlay but directly in the portage tree (I know this because I did the bump ;)). That makes me wonder where the firefox ebuild came from lefsha was talking about.
FYI, the reason it took so long for firefox-27.0 to appear in portage was that I am currently the only active developer from the mozilla team (or more precisely the only one who works on the widely used mozilla packages firefox and thunderbird). Usually I am only responsible for seamonkey and leave firefox to the more skilled members from our team. Due to the fact that firefox and its derivates (code-wise) always need new patchsets, doing version bumps to the non-ESR versions is a non-trivial task.

@lefsha:
By the way... nearly all Gentoo developers are volunteers who work on Gentoo in their spare time. I for myself do not want to waste much of that time to look over all the numerous overlays that exist only to find someone else who might have done the work I am about to do. Even if I would do that I still had to check the work done by that overlay maintainer to keep our quality standards.

my portage overlay

Need a stage1 tarball? (Unofficial builds)
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polynomial-C wrote:
That makes me wonder where the firefox ebuild came from lefsha was talking about.

Presumably the stuff overlay he mentioned in his third post?:

lefsha wrote:

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Polynomial-C wrote:
That makes me wonder where the firefox ebuild came from lefsha was talking about.

Presumably the stuff overlay he mentioned in his third post?:

lefsha wrote:

Oh, that piece of information slipped through my attention... never heard about that overlay though.

my portage overlay

Need a stage1 tarball? (Unofficial builds)
Lartten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What portage tree is for? Reply with quote

lefsha wrote:

Hey, loosen up and stop the version hunting.
I am sure the dev people do what they can.

It's in place to give all the people involved in gentoo some cred!
Thank you all for making Gentoo what it is today!!
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing about ALL answers is - you haven't even tried to turn the brain on before answering.
No adequate answer to any of my points were found.

The main line was - we are the team and stop bother us with your stupid ideas.
No single point of criticism were accepted properly.

At the same time all destructive moments I was mentioned remained valid and will stay
so until anyone will be ready to look into mirror with open eyes.

If you are not ready do so, it's not my fault. That is for sure.
You might call my message rude or what ever you think about it, but the main thing is
you are afraid to be hones to yourself. And that is again not my problem.

Only few developers are working for Gentoo. That is correct observation. The proper question is why?
Why Gentoo once being much more popular is loosing it's adepts and can't ensure constant inflow of
new people? If everything is done in optimal way and nothing is wrong why less and less people want to use
it?
Why the Gentoo creator has left Gentoo? Is he also soo stupid?

As for me I went back because of systemd and other stupid moves of Linux mainstream.
Hopefully it will be over some time soon.

Gentoo even in "stable" edition is a headache for any server admin. That is why people are using CentOS
as mentioned in previous message. Qualify all of them as stupid makes anyone answering this way not so clever
as well. And that IS the fact. Gentoo is NOT stable and never will be or Gentoo devs misunderstand that term.
Again it is proven, that in most cases unstable branch is actually more stable independent of what people here say.

Of course I could bring my hands up and pray to GenDev how smart they are and how thankful I am and all that kind of things, but what the point? Either people are ready to listen to different opinion or they aren't.

And here it has been proven the fact of being not ready for change or accept any other opinion or even understand it.
Therefore I stop here. Makes no sense to continue.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Gentoo Chat.

I really don't care about the debate but this is not about Programming, neither about portage. Certainly it's not a support question. So, moving...
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lefsha,

To be very blunt, you will not influence opinions anywhere in open source just by airing your own.
You need to contribute somehow to give your opinion some weight.

Overlay users need to understand the risks they are taking. If you use even one ebuild from outside the portage tree, you are no longer using Gentoo.
If its then not stable, its your problem. Gentoo gave you the tools and you used them to build the Linux of your choice.
When it breaks, you can keep all the pieces.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lefsha, it's a time constraints issue

devs don't like to do bug-hunting (I can relate to that) so some tasks get higher priority - and this on a voluntary basis

simple as that

what's so hard to use overlay search-engines and see whether the ebuilds are available on the overlays and then trying them out (or simply bumping the version, thanks to portage that works most times for me) ?

if they're fine - I use 'em,

if there's trouble - I post here (unsupported or other subforums) or on b.g.o to get support

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lefsha wrote:
The funny thing about ALL answers is - you haven't even tried to turn the brain on before answering.

Please turn on your own brain and answer me this:

Which feature of Firefox 27 were you so desperately in need of in a hurry that you thought this kind of attack on Gentoo's volunteers was justified?
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lefsha wrote:

Facts and references obsolete the brain; their existence overpowers opinions, thoughts and assumptions.

lefsha wrote:
No adequate answer to any of my points were found.

Finding them takes more than scanning over the text.

lefsha wrote:
The main line was - we are the team and stop bother us with your stupid ideas.

Which team? Which stupidity? Which ideas?

lefsha wrote:
No single point of criticism were accepted properly.

Due to the natural limit of resources criticism can only be addressed on a limited basis.

lefsha wrote:
At the same time all destructive moments I was mentioned remained valid and will stay
so until anyone will be ready to look into mirror with open eyes.

Their destructiveness and validity are yet to be determined, as well as to be reported and confirmed by other users too; from my point of view, it looks like it works for many users and I will continue to look that way until that changes.

lefsha wrote:
If you are not ready do so, it's not my fault. That is for sure.
You might call my message rude or what ever you think about it, but the main thing is
you are afraid to be hones to yourself. And that is again not my problem.

Your admittance is honest; your feedback is fine, but it needs more weight to bring it to further consideration.

lefsha wrote:
Only few developers are working for Gentoo. That is correct observation.

Its correctness can be evaluated by visiting http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/roll-call/userinfo.xml and counting the developers one by one.

lefsha wrote:
The proper question is why?
Why Gentoo once being much more popular is loosing it's adepts and can't ensure constant inflow of
new people?

Its growth can be evaluated by visiting http://kulleen.org/gentoo/twinkle/ and inspecting the visualization.

lefsha wrote:
If everything is done in optimal way and nothing is wrong why less and less people want to use it?

Is there a drop in the amount of users? Can this be evidenced by multiple trustworthy sources? As there are no counts of individual users, any sources on this can not be trusted; as they only reflect a small part of the total. On a side note, Gentoo aims to address a specific group of users; from what I've read so far, it has no aim to become popular, it's lower level source-based nature even prohibits it from doing so. Unless mainstream would consider that this is the new way to go; maybe in a ton of years, when hardware can instantly compile things, it might be...

lefsha wrote:
Why the Gentoo creator has left Gentoo? Is he also soo stupid?

While the true reason can be left as a guess; from what history seems to suggest, it appears that his idea started to work against them in the way that to ensure Gentoo remains to be all about choice it cannot be governed by an individual. As a result of that, you see a community rejecting its founder; the historical details are more private and/or non-indexed among the people involved, thus the true details are left uncovered...

lefsha wrote:
As for me I went back because of systemd and other stupid moves of Linux mainstream.
Hopefully it will be over some time soon.

Software changes over time, this is what makes the continuous use of forks work; remember that years ago Gentoo didn't exist and people were on LFS or so, which is quite hard to maintain without a package manager..

lefsha wrote:
Gentoo even in "stable" edition is a headache for any server admin. That is why people are using CentOS
as mentioned in previous message. Qualify all of them as stupid makes anyone answering this way not so clever
as well. And that IS the fact. Gentoo is NOT stable and never will be or Gentoo devs misunderstand that term.
Again it is proven, that in most cases unstable branch is actually more stable independent of what people here say.

Where is this proof? As actual widely gathered numbers are absent, determining this is not an option; thus deductions have to be made from its description, which reads as a rather good idea.

lefsha wrote:
Of course I could bring my hands up and pray to GenDev how smart they are and how thankful I am and all that kind of things, but what the point? Either people are ready to listen to different opinion or they aren't.

And here it has been proven the fact of being not ready for change or accept any other opinion or even understand it.
Therefore I stop here. Makes no sense to continue.

For a distribution to change more than a single forum post is needed, as it rather needs a ton of threads by a ton of users; if you want to see anything happen, bring it up for the Gentoo Council and show that this is what users want. That's what brings this to actual consideration; a forum post without facts or references is left unnoticed, as it remains to be a weightless opinion. If you want it to make sense, make it based on solid reasoning; then people might consider it, although I think that building a fork of Gentoo that does this has far more success than changing what has been in a solid place for many years.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: