[SOLVED] AR8161 NIC in ASUS N56VZ: Connection loss
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XmainframeX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] AR8161 NIC in ASUS N56VZ: Connection loss Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I'm experiencing weired problems with the AR8161 NIC built into my laptop: After working fine at the beginning, no incoming packets are received anymore after some time (4 seconds to 2 minutes). I tested this with wireshark.
I can only avoid this problem by booting the laptop with the network cable plugged in and having all other network devices disabled before the last shutdown.

I have tested different configurations including old kernels with backports/compat-drivers and newer kernels including the alx driver. These are the results

• + Windows
  • + Kernels before 3.7 in Gentoo
  • + Debian 7.2 with kernel 3.2
  • - Kernels from 3.7 on with backports in Gentoo
  • - Kernels including the alx driver in Gentoo

Some other observations:

• When the laptop is booted with Wifi enabled, the wired network connection stays for about 2 minutes
  • When the connection is gone, I can bring it back for a few seconds (observed 4-30s) by rmmod alx; modprobe alx
  • The connection seems to be lost faster if more data is transferred

Do you have any suggestions what else I could try? Any additional information needed?
Does anybody know where to find the compat-drivers source code for kernel 3.6 and 3.7 to compare them? Found the repository but no tags/branches referring to kernel versions before 3.10...

Thx in advance!

Last edited by XmainframeX on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
XmainframeX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Hacky solution... Reply with quote

While searching for differences in the alx driver source between compat-wireless-3.6 and compat-drivers-3.8, I stumbled over some changed variable names for the RX buffer size calculation. In addition, I noticed that RX buffer size calculation differs between > and <= 7*1024 bytes

So I decided to try the other code path and changed my mtu from 14xx to 8192 bytes. Since then, everything is running smoothly... :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: