Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
We have outsourced airline security to a bunch of teenagers.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: We have outsourced airline security to a bunch of teenagers. Reply with quote

Abolish the TSA

Quote:
A former Transportation Security Administration agent offered a confession of sorts in Politico Magazine on Thursday, called "Dear America, I Saw You Naked."

"In private, most TSA officers I talked to told me they felt the agency’s day-to-day operations represented an abuse of public trust and funds," Jason Edward Harrington writes, before detailing how TSA screeners routinely made jokes about passenger appearances, and even set up a system of code words such as "Alfalfa" to warn others when attractive female passengers were passing through $150,000 full-body scanners they all knew wouldn't stop a determined terrorist.

After reading his account, and others in his blog, Taking Sense Away, I came to one inescapable conclusion:

We have outsourced airline security to a bunch of teenagers.

It's time to pull the plug and bring the adults back into control.

Also, before I forget: This abusive, intrusive, wasteful bureaucratic monstrosity is the product of a Republican Congress and a Republican president.

One of the most important qualities of true leaders is the ability to admit mistakes and take steps to fix them. Here's a great chance for the Republicans to show -- in an election year, no less -- why they're different from President Obama and the Democrats, who have doubled down on the Obamacare disaster, and why they deserve control in Washington.

Abolish the TSA.

_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
YOU'RE NOT A LIBERAL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big dave
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 0
Location: land of first world problems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it's republicans' fault for creating the TSA, but it's obama's fault for having them molest children and feel up old people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TSA would be a good start.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL police state USA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
LOL police state USA


:?

You live in the original police state.
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
YOU'RE NOT A LIBERAL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anglo saxon capitalism. Race to the bottom. They aren't trying to stop people from doing something bad; they are just trying to make it look like they are doing something.

If you want to actually prevent something, you probably need to hire trained people and pay them well. but that isn't the way our system works. low wage low skill is how we roll.
_________________
wswartzendruber wrote:
Well, every group has its nutjobs, and the Second Amendment crowd is no exception.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Anglo saxon capitalism. Race to the bottom. They aren't trying to stop people from doing something bad; they are just trying to make it look like they are doing something.


How the hell do you find anything capitalist about the TSA? You're insane :lol:
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
YOU'RE NOT A LIBERAL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
juniper wrote:
Anglo saxon capitalism. Race to the bottom. They aren't trying to stop people from doing something bad; they are just trying to make it look like they are doing something.


How the hell do you find anything capitalist about the TSA? You're insane :lol:


no, he is not. He is not saying that the TSA is capitalist, but the result of a capitalist system.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How?
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
How?


capitalism is so ingrained into society that even the government is infected with its stupid 'buying from the lowest bidder' and 'push down the wages' mantras.

The resulting mess: cheap but unqualified people pretending to be security professionals.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm sure there must be a way to find out quality of a contractor before the contract is given out in socialistic system?
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
porodzila
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 307
Location: Moving on up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problems with the TSA stem from it being run as a capitalist corporation. However, the existence and function of the TSA do not fit into pure capitalistic paradigm. Its a watered down communist big brother control agency. For the TSA to function properly it needs to function the way its kind of organization should : like the North Korean system of airline security. Only then will itl really be 100% effective.
_________________
ubi primum potero, me hinc subduco.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big dave
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 0
Location: land of first world problems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
notageek wrote:
How?


capitalism is so ingrained into society that even the government is infected with its stupid 'buying from the lowest bidder' and 'push down the wages' mantras.

The resulting mess: cheap but unqualified people pretending to be security professionals.

except for the fact that businesses would actually have to provide value to stay alive. the TSA is a parasite, feeding off of taxes taken at gunpoint. they're not accountable to anyone.

there were 8 airports left in the US that had privatized security, and despite having faster processing, far less complaints, and far less theft, the TSA closed the process to privatize security at an airport and rejected the requests to review their security licenses.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big dave wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
notageek wrote:
How?


capitalism is so ingrained into society that even the government is infected with its stupid 'buying from the lowest bidder' and 'push down the wages' mantras.

The resulting mess: cheap but unqualified people pretending to be security professionals.

except for the fact that businesses would actually have to provide value to stay alive. the TSA is a parasite, feeding off of taxes taken at gunpoint. they're not accountable to anyone.

there were 8 airports left in the US that had privatized security, and despite having faster processing, far less complaints, and far less theft, the TSA closed the process to privatize security at an airport and rejected the requests to review their security licenses.


have you ever bid for a government contract?

I have. Many times.

We are good.

But a lot of times we are outbid by suckers that completely fail in every regard - but are 12% cheaper.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4160
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
big dave wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
notageek wrote:
How?


capitalism is so ingrained into society that even the government is infected with its stupid 'buying from the lowest bidder' and 'push down the wages' mantras.

The resulting mess: cheap but unqualified people pretending to be security professionals.

except for the fact that businesses would actually have to provide value to stay alive. the TSA is a parasite, feeding off of taxes taken at gunpoint. they're not accountable to anyone.

there were 8 airports left in the US that had privatized security, and despite having faster processing, far less complaints, and far less theft, the TSA closed the process to privatize security at an airport and rejected the requests to review their security licenses.


have you ever bid for a government contract?

I have. Many times.

We are good.

But a lot of times we are outbid by suckers that completely fail in every regard - but are 12% cheaper.

That is not limited to Gov'n contracts... Every main producer does this, They will go for the one that bids the cheapest, lightest, shortest timeToMarket, etc... EVEN if it means that the original commitments are never met.

Saying that there are some ... additional annoyances in dealing with US gov'n contracts that go above and beyond private sector large contracts, EU contracts or UK gov'n contracts... it isn't so black and white.
TSA being a public entity does save itself some issue (one of them is the level of fingers the US gov auditors place into you persistently) equally border control comes quite firmly under national control and while there is room for alot of it to be outsourced to the private sector (for the race to the bottom...) someone has to ensure certain things are maintained above and beyond profits
_________________
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
big dave wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
notageek wrote:
How?


capitalism is so ingrained into society that even the government is infected with its stupid 'buying from the lowest bidder' and 'push down the wages' mantras.

The resulting mess: cheap but unqualified people pretending to be security professionals.

except for the fact that businesses would actually have to provide value to stay alive. the TSA is a parasite, feeding off of taxes taken at gunpoint. they're not accountable to anyone.

there were 8 airports left in the US that had privatized security, and despite having faster processing, far less complaints, and far less theft, the TSA closed the process to privatize security at an airport and rejected the requests to review their security licenses.


have you ever bid for a government contract?

I have. Many times.

We are good.

But a lot of times we are outbid by suckers that completely fail in every regard - but are 12% cheaper.
Welcome to the real world.

So, the party that invites contracts is supposed to know, who's good and pick that? Right?
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
capitalism is so ingrained into society that even the government is infected with its stupid 'buying from the lowest bidder' and 'push down the wages' mantras.

The resulting mess: cheap but unqualified people pretending to be security professionals.
The problem is the existence of the TSA, which is not the result of capitalism.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Muso wrote:
juniper wrote:
Anglo saxon capitalism. Race to the bottom. They aren't trying to stop people from doing something bad; they are just trying to make it look like they are doing something.


How the hell do you find anything capitalist about the TSA? You're insane :lol:


no, he is not. He is not saying that the TSA is capitalist, but the result of a capitalist system.


ding ding ding.

energyman76b wrote:
capitalism is so ingrained into society that even the government is infected with its stupid 'buying from the lowest bidder' and 'push down the wages' mantras.

The resulting mess: cheap but unqualified people pretending to be security professionals.


it's like you're reading my mind.
_________________
wswartzendruber wrote:
Well, every group has its nutjobs, and the Second Amendment crowd is no exception.


Last edited by juniper on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
it's like your reading my mind.


No wonder he's wrong on this one :P
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
YOU'RE NOT A LIBERAL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
juniper wrote:
it's like your reading my mind.


No wonder he's wrong on this one :P


corrected my spelling.

the israelis have a crazy model for this. I believe Ben Gurion (in Tel Aviv. I could be getting all my names wrong) has ex servicemen working in the airports. trained and well paid. everyone gets interviewed before flights.

that happened to me once in amsterdam (interviewed by some dude who had obviously done this one million times). more time, more work, but probably more accurate.
_________________
wswartzendruber wrote:
Well, every group has its nutjobs, and the Second Amendment crowd is no exception.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Muso wrote:
juniper wrote:
it's like your reading my mind.


No wonder he's wrong on this one :P


corrected my spelling.

the israelis have a crazy model for this. I believe Ben Gurion (in Tel Aviv. I could be getting all my names wrong) has ex servicemen working in the airports. trained and well paid. everyone gets interviewed before flights.

that happened to me once in amsterdam (interviewed by some dude who had obviously done this one million times). more time, more work, but probably more accurate.


The Israelis definitely have superior security.
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
YOU'RE NOT A LIBERAL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creating an unaccountable agency to provide a function and then fail to provide that function is not capitalism. It is pure, unadulterated, government in all its incompetent glory.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Creating an unaccountable agency to provide a function and then fail to provide that function is not capitalism. It is pure, unadulterated, government in all its incompetent glory.


++

Exactly.
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
YOU'RE NOT A LIBERAL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
juniper wrote:
Muso wrote:
juniper wrote:
it's like your reading my mind.


No wonder he's wrong on this one :P


corrected my spelling.

the israelis have a crazy model for this. I believe Ben Gurion (in Tel Aviv. I could be getting all my names wrong) has ex servicemen working in the airports. trained and well paid. everyone gets interviewed before flights.

that happened to me once in amsterdam (interviewed by some dude who had obviously done this one million times). more time, more work, but probably more accurate.


The Israelis definitely have superior security.


who runs it?
_________________
wswartzendruber wrote:
Well, every group has its nutjobs, and the Second Amendment crowd is no exception.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:


who runs it?


The Israelis.
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
YOU'RE NOT A LIBERAL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum