Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
German brewers are making UK, American style beers.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: German brewers are making UK, American style beers. Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25807126

Quote:
Eric Toft is on a mission to improve German beer - which is odd because he's an American.

All the same, Mr Toft, the head brewer of a tiny brewery in Bavaria, in the south of the country, politely preaches that Germany's beer-makers should be more adventurous.

In a nation very proud of its beer, he is an outsider who thinks the natives could do better.

Not that Mr Toft looks like an outsider. With his curly fair hair, and the fact he almost always wears lederhosen - the traditional Alpine leather shorts - he could pass for a Bavarian.

Mr Toft, who first went to Germany to study brewing and ended up staying, is brew master at the 234-year-old Schonram brewery, based in the village of the same name near the border between Germany and Austria.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think you have the best product for too long and are too conservative to change it, the world will pass you by. French food is no longer the gold standard, thank god.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
If you think you have the best product for too long and are too conservative to change it, the world will pass you by. French food is no longer the gold standard, thank god.
I am still amazed at how French food was ever considered good... its all stodgy... they can't even boil veg
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... what other food did you consider good?

I've been to France and I've had French food, so I don't understand your comment.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend alot of time in France, I eat alot at their "canteens", their posh hotels, their posh restaurants and their cafe's
Simply put they do not know how to cook vegetables (except in Ratatouille). When it is good it is good, but on average and when it is bad... it is stodgy, soggy... etc... Now maybe boiling runner beans soo much that they almost turn into soup is what passes and the peak of the world culinary expertise but I like to eat my veg not drink it.

I'm not even going to go down the route that "English food is great" because at the end of the day its personal choice BUT french food and the french food style is not worth the reputation it had.
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a vegetarian?
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not at all, but I do like decently cooked veg
mrbassie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the point? You can do that at home yourself. Drink half your Bavarian beer, wait a while, piss it back into the glass, give it a stir, hey presto!
e3k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the end it is an article propagating GMO hops...
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

There's that old joke about mother putting the Christmas sprouts on in September.
porodzila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will be able to keep their reputation as long as they don't start brewing Italian beers.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: German brewers are making UK, American style beers. Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25807126

Quote:
With his curly fair hair, and the fact he almost always wears lederhosen.

This is "How to spot a tourist in Bavaria" in a nutshell.
Now it's time for the harvest
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:

For European food, I do like a lot of French food. Italian is just much better.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbassie wrote:
What's the point? You can do that at home yourself. Drink half your Bavarian beer, wait a while, piss it back into the glass, give it a stir, hey presto!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We joke that English food is the best because once you've thrown all of the ingredients on a pot, the cook can come out and enjoy the party!

[quote="Juniper"]I fail to see the relevance.[/quote]
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English food is disgusting

need some truly american food like eh... chinese food...

-Master Oogway
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
Naib wrote:

There's that old joke about mother putting the Christmas sprouts on in September.

i hate boiled to oblivion sprouts. waterlogged and vomitous.

cut in half, boil or steam, then fry in butter until the water is gone. add some pecans. add a little sweet (honey or maple syrup. don
t go crazy. just a little). yum.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is 'french food'?

The stuff you get in a motel - where potatoes count as 'vegetables', and a steak is put in a contact grill until it burned on the outside and raw on the inside?

The fish dishes in the Bretagne? Which are delicious. Or their 'national' food. Which is very fatty and filling (including onions seared in lots of butter, fatty meat and a cabbage soup whose influence can carry you to Moscow and back)?

The stuff in the Elsaß (it is Elsaß not Alsace or other gay stuff, thank you a lot)? Which means heavy. lots of Sauerkraut and in dire need of some hot mustard (or very delciously made of all the stuff you find in the animal after taking away all those pesky muscles).

I have eaten french food a lot of times. But I never ate 'french cuisine'. I did eat what the peasants, workers and normal people in that region ate. Which was pretty much always not that much different from the stuff at home. With the exception of some local specialities which were awesome - and you will never find in some posh restaurant.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, only sane food I've had lately was Creole. Most 'indigenous' dishes around here are gross, bordering on barbaric. That includes 80% of Swabian menu items, 90% of the remaining Krautland dishes and close to 90% of what they serve in France. And I'd not even mention Krautland beer in polite conversation - good thing this ain't one, so I can quite confidently claim that Krautland beer is among the worst on the friggen planet. Even Miller tastes better, and that kinda tastes like regurgitated cat piss with sugar. So yeah, here's hoping the guy has some luck.

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: