Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
CGOG2: Have you ever re-installed due to failed upgrade?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pick the statement that best explains your history with Gentoo. Please be honest, if you haven't been as persistent with update as you wish you were, then say so.
Situation Never1
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Situation Never2
20%
 20%  [ 14 ]
Situation Never3
56%
 56%  [ 38 ]
Situation Retry1
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Situation Retry2
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Situation Cyclic1
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Situation Cyclic2
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Situation Hopeless
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 67

TheLexx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: CGOG2: Have you ever re-installed due to failed upgrade? Reply with quote

In this poll, I am wanting to know how the average user fares at keeping there Gentoo system current.

Please choose the best option that would explain your history of Gentoo usage. Only count re-installs due to not being able to upgrade with emerge. Do not count re-installs do to a major system upgrade such as moving from x86 to amd64.

Situation Never1 -- I started using Gentoo less than two years ago, and once my system was up and running it has been continuously upgraded and has never required a fresh install.

Situation Never2 -- same as above, but you have been running Gentoo for more than two years but less than six years.

Situation Never3 -- same as above, but you have been running Gentoo for six or more years.

Situation Retry1 -- I had to do one fresh install only once because it had gotten too out of date. But now I am committed to keeping it up-to-date.

Situation Retry2 -- After the second time doing a fresh install, I am now committed to keeping it up to date.

Situation Cyclic1 -- I re-install Gentoo on a regular basis, about every two or more years. I do this because I prefer to upgrade this way, or I can't get emerge update world to work, or I just think it is not worth the effort to debug emerge update world.

Situation Cyclic2 -- Same as above, but with re-installs more often than once every two years.

Situation Hopeless -- Judging from my past experience, I can keep the system upgrading with emerge update for about three or four months, but then I loose interest in upgrading. Soon emerge will not work to install any new software. I then just stick with outdated software, or compile it outside of emerge. Continue this way for a year or two or more as long as I can stand it. Then I start the whole process all over again.

EDIT: expanded Cyclic1 and Cyclic2 to include more scenarios

Last edited by TheLexx on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Situation Never3:
My oldest machine emerge.log head & tail:
ceres ~ # < /var/log/emerge.log head | COLUMNS=80 awk -f ~/scripts/interp.awk --truncate
02/18/04 17:18:00: Started emerge on: Feb 18, 2004 22:18:00
02/18/04 17:18:00:  *** emerge --oneshot --nodeps ccache
02/18/04 17:18:00:  >>> emerge (1 of 1) dev-util/ccache-2.3 to /
02/18/04 17:18:00:  === (1 of 1) Cleaning (dev-util/ccache-2.3::/usr/portage/dev
02/18/04 17:18:01:  === (1 of 1) Compiling/Merging (dev-util/ccache-2.3::/usr/po
02/18/04 17:18:19:  === (1 of 1) Post-Build Cleaning (dev-util/ccache-2.3::/usr/
02/18/04 17:18:19:  >>> AUTOCLEAN: dev-util/ccache
02/18/04 17:18:19:  --- AUTOCLEAN: Nothing unmerged.
02/18/04 17:18:19:  ::: completed emerge (1 of 1) dev-util/ccache-2.3 to /
02/18/04 17:18:19:  *** Finished. Cleaning up...
ceres ~ # < /var/log/emerge.log tail | COLUMNS=80 awk -f ~/scripts/interp.awk --truncate
01/29/14 14:33:26:  === (31 of 272) Compiling/Merging (sys-devel/gcc-4.5.4::/usr
01/29/14 15:27:03:  === (31 of 272) Merging (sys-devel/gcc-4.5.4::/usr/portage/s
01/29/14 15:29:04:  >>> AUTOCLEAN: sys-devel/gcc:4.5
01/29/14 15:29:04:  === Unmerging... (sys-devel/gcc-4.5.4)
01/29/14 15:29:16:  >>> unmerge success: sys-devel/gcc-4.5.4
01/29/14 15:29:30:  === (31 of 272) Post-Build Cleaning (sys-devel/gcc-4.5.4::/u
01/29/14 15:29:30:  ::: completed emerge (31 of 272) sys-devel/gcc-4.5.4 to /
01/29/14 15:29:30:  >>> emerge (32 of 272) sys-devel/gcc-4.6.3 to /
01/29/14 15:29:36:  === (32 of 272) Cleaning (sys-devel/gcc-4.6.3::/usr/portage/
01/29/14 15:29:41:  === (32 of 272) Compiling/Merging (sys-devel/gcc-4.6.3::/usr
This machine is on its 3rd motherboard, it's 5th (I believe) hard drive controller, and has never been reinstalled. It started out as a 90 MHz Pentium I junk box computer with 80MiB of RAM that I built to experiment with Linux (Gentoo was my first distro) and has been in continuous operations ever since.

- John
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is missing one option: "Situation Always - I prefer to have it freshly installed instead of updated" .
I would choose this option if it was presented in the list
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree on that. I used to install every new OS (to me) twice, just to learn how it goes. After installing Gentoo I realized there is no need for second install. Anything you do can be undone.
I just converted a 64-bit no-multilib into multilib, for instance.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never needed to reinstall.

I have emerge sync set up for 3 or so in the morning on cron,
check for upgrades no more than a few day apart.
I've never found a need to reinstall.

I also keep a backup of /root, minus /home and /usr/portage that are on their own partitions.
And I keep a 4 week backup of /root, done on Sunday.

If anything went wrong due to upgrade or hardware failure then I could reinstall the latest and keep going.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before an update I alway backup a copy of /boot and / to other partitions.
The backup can be used "instead of a rescue cd" and they can be copied back to the original partitions to restore them if something gets broken.

That said, I have never had a system break due to an upgrade. I do, however, break them from time to time because I enjoy experimenting (playing)
with my basic gentoo partition. It is at such times that I am glad to have a backup.
TheLexx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creaker wrote:
I think there is missing one option: "Situation Always - I prefer to have it freshly installed instead of updated" .
I would choose this option if it was presented in the list

Humm, I would consider that to be a cyclic install, because you are re-installing on a regular basis. In your case it is by choose rather than by necessity. I will edit the original post to expand the definition of Cyclic1 and Cyclic2 to include your situation.

Just out of curiosity, do you ever do an update world between installs, or is the only time you emerge is for new packages or use flag changes?
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLexx wrote:

Just out of curiosity, do you ever do an update world between installs, or is the only time you emerge is for new packages or use flag changes?

Yes, I updated a systems three or four times since I started to use Gentoo. I did it just from idleness :D Once a system was updated, I never used it more, because I always have a system that installed less, than couple of months ago.
Why I prefer re-installation? There are some reasons:
Updating a system on a weekly basis is too tedious, in a couple of months you compile (as updates) a lot more than you compile during fresh installation. Eventually with fresh installation I obtain the same system as with updates, but with less overhead.
In general (from my experience), update causes more dependencies collisions than installation.
After the update the system is always contains more garbage than after fresh installation.
So, I do not see any advantages with updates, but disadvantages.
augury
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two systems in front of me, both of which cannot be upgraded. The 2xeno is walking wounded. The laptop functions OK. ~@~ it quakes

My rented server is recovering from wu of`64. I hope to vpn.
augury
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind you that a package that does not emerge is a sinking package.

With that in mind, sync has not pulled a larger load and road to @%@ built is rough.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since i have this piece of hardware it has gentoo on it. Well 3 days with preinstalled oem windows vista was enough to ditch it. I needed 3 days to download gentoo isos, burn them and ot read the documentations.

My other notebook had the same but died because of a mechanical issue and the hardware got too old.

Arch linux comes close to gentoo but when you realize that you need something all those binary distros are hopeless.

I tried to install SUSE, fedore, and other distros on other hardware and realized how limited it is. Linux mint was a bit better but got ugly recently.

For my main hardware it is gentoo. even on my cheapy notebook with slow dual core cpu. for the other notebooks which are used by other family members i use linux mint and never update those boxes, as these are hardly connected to the net anyway. For playing card games it does not matter how outdated a gnu linux is. updating an old linux mint requires a reinstall and manually updating with apt-get is a pain.

updating my backup os, arch linux is also a pain, i gave up after it was cli bootable after a atempt to upgrade it. well upgrading with the provided tools should not break hole box, i expierenced this several times with arch linux and lxde gui from ubuntu / linux mint. The problem resides because I could not find any required packages or any way to get apt-get running again to complete the install. Ether it complains about the repros or other stuff which are unable to update. The official way to ugprade those are a reinstall which annoys me at the end.

I updated once an outdated box in gentoo, it is possible and thats matters. But the only way I recommend is to emerge --unmerge everything. Comes down to the hole X-server and the desktop environment and upgrade only the system because you need to uninstall anyway all these packages because there is an upgrade available.

First thing is kernel, than get the system profile up to date and than start building the x-server again with a new choice of the desktop environment because, e.g. gnome 2 was gone.
TheLexx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a followup question for those 12 people (up to now) that say that they have been running Gentoo for six or more years and continuously upgrading. How would would you classify those systems, text based systems (like a server), minimum X11 systems, or full KDE/Gnome desktop systems.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightweight desktops/nettops, servers.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, I have a server (apache, samba and a few odd services) combination single user desktop.
I just don't shut it down or reboot it daily.

I don't let the system boot into a graphic, but console (runlevel 3) and use startx when I want to do graphic.
I run lxde now, have run gnome and xfce in the past. Tried KDE wasn't my cup of tea.
Do keep gtk+ and qt libraries around.
I've had HAL, *kit, pam, dbus installed in the past, but have since removed them all, without having to reinstall anything.

I've had to replace the main disk once, but used a backup so I don't consider
that a reinstall as it left me where I was before swapping disks.

I'm picky about upgrades.
I don't blindly emerge, I check and see what would be installed before I do it.
The same for depclean and revdep.
greyspoke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:

I updated once an outdated box in gentoo, it is possible and thats matters. But the only way I recommend is to emerge --unmerge everything. Comes down to the hole X-server and the desktop environment and upgrade only the system because you need to uninstall anyway all these packages because there is an upgrade available.

First thing is kernel, than get the system profile up to date and than start building the x-server again with a new choice of the desktop environment because, e.g. gnome 2 was gone.

Twice at least I have left it far too long to upgrade and that is pretty much what I did. 4 years and no re-install here, desktop system.
Angrychile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first install was in 2004, but that PC has hit the dust, so, in actual time, I'm just shy of the 6 year mark.

I recently used Ubuntu and I believe I did have to reinstall once. Gentoo? Pah! After you get a hang of it, I guess, reinstalls are really unnecessary.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the --emptytree emerge option? Is that an upgrade or a reinstall? You can use that option in both cases depending on if you emerge --sync or not before if I understand well. :D
Code:
man emerge
--emptytree (-e)
              Reinstalls  target  atoms  and  their  entire  deep dependency tree, as though no packages are currently installed. You should run this with --pretend first to make sure the
              result is what you expect.

WorBlux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current system is just over two and a half years, had a few head-scratchers on that one like the Bluetooth applet dissappearing from gnome-bluetooth 2 to 3 (blacklisted 3 to fix it)
Another system just over a year now no big problems.
My first system I ever had Gentoo on was powered off for nine months. That was hopeless, ended up installing Debian.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLexx wrote:
This is a followup question for those 12 people (up to now) that say that they have been running Gentoo for six or more years and continuously upgrading. How would would you classify those systems, text based systems (like a server), minimum X11 systems, or full KDE/Gnome desktop systems.
Full KDE desktop system (for maintenance) but acting as my file server, SVN repository, local portage & distfiles mirror, and DNS & DHCP server.

- John
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLexx wrote:

Full KDE desktop system.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLexx wrote:

Gnome Desktop system.

After 10 years, that install was retired. It started out on a k6-2 450MHz and was migrated through 3 or four sets of hardware to end up as an Athlon XP +3200,
which was the end of the line for 32 bit hardware.

Updating old installs is a wonderful Gentoo learning opportunity. I've helped out with several.
I do tend to neglect my Raspberry Pi Gentoo install, so I might get to do one for myself soon.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is a follow up question for those 12 people (up to now) that say that they have been running Gentoo for six or more years and continuously upgrading. How would would you classify those systems, text based systems (like a server), minimum X11 systems, or full KDE/Gnome desktop systems.

Two KDE Desktops with the KDE portions that I wish selected via sets.. I don't even reinstall when switching to new hardware (except for an upgrade to 64bit architecture 7 years ago) I just set "-mtune=generic", do an emerge -ev @system, emerge -ev @world and install a kernel that would work on both the new and old hardware, change the hardware (not including the discs), re-emerge with "-march=native." The occasional replacement of the main hard-drive has been done with backups.

Two laptops use KDE as above, but are less than 6 years old.
Yminus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien wrote:
What about the --emptytree emerge option? Is that an upgrade or a reinstall? You can use that option in both cases depending on if you emerge --sync or not before if I understand well. :D
Code:
man emerge
--emptytree (-e)
              Reinstalls  target  atoms  and  their  entire  deep dependency tree, as though no packages are currently installed. You should run this with --pretend first to make sure the
              result is what you expect.

I would not consider this to be a reinstall because you are not starting your system from scratch.

I do emerge -e about once a year just to make sure that everything is still at its place.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a strange one, in that I don't really fall directly in any one category. I am partly, in Never3, Retry2, and Other. My main computer is going on year 6 of continous updating, I have another that more of falls in Other in that, it was really outdated and manually worked my system to a newer version; and I have a 3rd computer that I end up reinstalling for the fun of it (yes I am crazy like that).
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you define "reinstall" as. I interpret it as "redoing the handbook, overwriting a machine that can already boot".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: