View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: no KDE Help files? Reply with quote

For some reason, I have no KDE helpfiles. This includes pulling up the main help through the start menu, as well as any application help files (such as KMail). The navigation tree in the left pane is there and seems to work, the Helpcenter app itself seems fine, but I just have no documentation. Any know wht the problem might be?
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to push this back to the top like this, but I still haven't been able to figure this out. As I said before, I'm not able to view any KDE helpfiles, including KDE apps. This is really starting to become a problem, too, since I've installed a few new apps that I haven't used before (and as you can imagine, not being able to read the documentation doesn't really help too much). Any suggestions? Thanks.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be there in my install. If I go from konqueror's "Help->Konqueror Handbook" menu item and then open the "Contents" tab in the left pane, then click on "Internet->KMail", etc., it seems to load up fine. Note: on my machine, there is a perceptible lag (~5-10 seconds) while it loads the help page. I have skipped a couple of topics a while back thinking that there was no help on them when they did not load up immediately.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, check the directories: /usr/kde/3/share/doc/HTML/en/kmail/..., etc., to see whether they exist and they have files in them.
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, it is there after all, but like you said, it takes 5-10 seconds to come up. I've never seen anything like that before, so when it didn't open after a couple of seconds I just assumed it wasn't going to. Thanks for the tip. Do you happen to know the reason for the delay?
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The help files seem to be stored in bz2 compressed format. I guess it takes a bit of time to uncompress and display them. Once you have them loaded, they zip by pretty quickly.

nitro322 wrote:
damn, it is there after all, but like you said, it takes 5-10 seconds to come up. I've never seen anything like that before, so when it didn't open after a couple of seconds I just assumed it wasn't going to. Thanks for the tip. Do you happen to know the reason for the delay?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: