Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Marmite, Ovaltine, Irn-Bru and Bovril are illegal!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Just like you're an expert on America, of which you've experienced about 1E-23 %.

I've never claimed to be an expert on America.

You sure have a lot of opinions about it, and how it's doing everything wrong, for somebody who's no expert.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion or voicing said opinion
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there is nothing wrong with pointing out that opinions are wrong or ill-informed.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Just like you're an expert on America, of which you've experienced about 1E-23 %.

You sure have a lot of opinions about it, and how it's doing everything wrong, for somebody who's no expert.

I never said america is doing everything wrong. they do a lot right.

but Energyman's claims were different. He has made claims that require some experience of living in britain (life in britain sucks, beer here is bad). This is based no experience, which he admits he does not have.

I, on the other hand, have not made very many claims of that nature, even though I have lived in the US or otherwise lived in a country similar to it. Most of my claims do not require experience of life in a country, though no doubt that would help.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

I never said america is doing everything wrong. they do a lot right.

but Energyman's claims were different. He has made claims that require some experience of living in britain (life in britain sucks, beer here is bad). This is based no experience, which he admits he does not have.

I, on the other hand, have not made very many claims of that nature, even though I have lived in the US or otherwise lived in a country similar to it. Most of my claims do not require experience of life in a country, though no doubt that would help.

I don't think occupying a cubicle in some city for a while counts as having enough life experience within a country to pass the kinds of judgments you regularly make, such as claiming that our gun laws cause violence. Unlike the sorts of specific criticisms you have made, all he said was that your country is a shit-hole. I've never been to Bangladesh, but I'm pretty sure it's a shit-hole. Must one really have live somewhere to make that particular judgment? Other than that, the only thing specific he criticized is the food, which everybody knows is the worst in the world.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
it's bullshit. you're banning something that people have literally been eating for decades with no problem.
Bovril has been eaten for over 140 years. It's fantastic on toast with cheese - something strong and crumbly like a nice mature cheddar

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi

Cold is gods way to tell us to burn more Catholics
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

I don't think occupying a cubicle in some city for a while counts as having enough life experience within a country to pass the kinds of judgments you regularly make, such as claiming that our gun laws cause violence.

2 points. I never claimed that. second, you don't need to live in a country to make that judgement. That can be studied.

and why do you diminish my experience by saying I "occupied a cubicle for a couple of years". I live, worked, ate, dealt with your crazy health system, watched you vote, made american friends and went out and travelled in the US while living there (and before. for most of my life I have lived either within an hour drive of the US or in it). That's much more than someone who has NEVER EVEN BEEN to Britain.

Quote:
Unlike the sorts of specific criticisms you have made, all he said was that your country is a shit-hole. I've never been to Bangladesh, but I'm pretty sure it's a shit-hole. Must one really have live somewhere to make that particular judgment? Other than that, the only thing specific he criticized is the food, which everybody knows is the worst in the world.

Bangladesh is poor. that doesn't make it a shit-hole. if you say bangladesh is poverty stricken, I'll buy that. but I am not convinced it's a shithole.

you may not have to live in a place to make that judgement, but it really helps. it's a subjective judgement for which, unless we are talking about extreme cases, experience informs greatly. I GUARANTEE the UK is not a country universally regarded as a shithole.

about the food. The bad food rap that britain has is as outdated as the same rap the US has. Urban american food is great, as is british food. this attitude just proves my point. you two have no experience of life here and, shock and awe, you have no clue of it. And the funny thing is that the criticism is coming from a german. He may not know this as it sounds like he hasn't left germany or central europe that often, but german cuisine isn't as globally celebrated as he thinks.

this is entirely different from criminal matters, homicide statistics, and guns. anyone can talk about those things. they are less subjective by nature.

Last edited by juniper on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so we're all clear here, Marmite is the UK version of the Australian Vaginamite, right?
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Just so we're all clear here, Marmite is the UK version of the Australian Vaginamite, right?
no, it's the other way around

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi

Cold is gods way to tell us to burn more Catholics
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: