[Solved] Emerge wants to downgrade??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: [Solved] Emerge wants to downgrade?? Reply with quote

Saw this in another thread:
Code:
emerge -pve world

So I thought, why not see what it shows on my system? Well, it says 710 packages (8 downgrades, 1 in new slot, 701 reinstalls).

Why the 8 downgrades, 701 reinstalls? And the new slot is for my latest kernel, which I am happy with since I spent so much time configuring and which got my systemd working finally (it wants to go back 3 versions). How can I make the 8 packages it wants to downgrade permanent. They are the newest versions and are working with no issues. I do not want to a world update and have to go back through putting things back the way I want them.

What gives?
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Last edited by mark2 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impossible to answer without details about the packages involved.
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would begin by reading the Portage manual, but while I'm digging through that, here is the output of:
Code:
emerge -pve

It can be seen here: http://bpaste.net/show/164147.
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark2 wrote:
I thought I would begin by reading the Portage manual, but while I'm digging through that, here is the output of:
Code:
emerge -pve

It can be seen here: http://bpaste.net/show/164147.
Why did you give the -e switch? It means that it will merge everything in world, along with its dependencies
Code:
       --emptytree (-e)
              Reinstalls target atoms and their entire deep dependency tree, as though no packages are  cur‐
              rently installed. You should run this with --pretend first to make sure the result is what you
              expect.

The downgrades look like you had keyworded those files in /etc/portage/package.keywords earlier, and then they got removed subsequently. All the downgrades are from unstable (~) to stable.

If you want to update your system then simply use the following
Code:
emerge -auDv --changed-use world

mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why did you give the -e switch? It means that it will merge everything in world, along with its dependencies

Well, that was the part I didn't understand; the portage syntax that I was trying to find what it meant. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

The packages that are marked unstable are really working just fine. Hope they get marked as stable soon... I'd like to keep them.

Thanks, again.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark2 wrote:
The packages that are marked unstable are really working just fine. Hope they get marked as stable soon... I'd like to keep them.
If they are not already in package.keywords, you should add them there. Otherwise in the next update of world you will run into the same problem.
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good. I see now. I did not actually have a /etc/portage/package.keywords file. I now have it as well as a /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords file (had them confused). Now I just have one New slot and one rebuild:
Code:

[ebuild  NS    ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.10.17:3.10.17 [3.12.4:3.12.4, 3.12.6:3.12.6] USE="symlink -build -deblob -experimental" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/dbus-1.6.12  USE="X systemd* -debug -doc (-selinux) -static-libs {-test}" 0 kB

Should I remove all traces of the older kernels? In the kernel line, symlink is in red. Also in the dbus line, X is in red. Pretty sure this means they are selected, but what is the significance?
Code:
# ls -l /boot/kernel*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5426352 Dec 20 23:26 /boot/kernel-3.12.4-gentoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5663184 Dec 31 09:29 /boot/kernel-3.12.6-gentoo

No mention of 3.10.17 in there, although I am guessing it is the last stable version. Is that why it is showing up?

Also what would rebuilding dbus do?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbus is being rebuilt because of the new USE flag systemd that got enabled. You already have two newer kernels in your system, so why do you want to merge 3.10.7? Just make sure your installed kernels are properly keyworded.

I suggest you read through the portage sections of the gentoo handbook to understand how portage works.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have the portage handbook and am reading through it. I do not mean to imply that I want to emerge the 3.10.17 kernel. Not at all. In fact, I only want to keep the newest one that I am booting, and that is the 3.12.6 kernel. So, when I have that figured out, I will post back with my results. Thanks!
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this from an older thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-890636-start-0.html
Where it was suggested:
Code:
#grep sources /var/lib/portage/world
if it reads just sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
edit it to read sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.35
then it wont bother about upgrading gentoo-sources.

I followed that and took out the line reading sys-kernel/gentoo-sources. It also had the line sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:3.12.6, which I kept. I was then able to do the emerge -auDv --changed-use world and it reinstalled dbus. Following up with emerge --depclean, it removed 25 other packages and then running emerge -auDv --newuse world showed 0 packages. So far, it appears that my system is now up to date just as I wanted.

Thank, everyone! :wink:
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very wrong advice! The correct fix would be to put "=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.12.6" into your package.keywords. Then portage willnot try to pull in any newer or older version of the kernel as long as this particular version is in portage. /var/lib/portage/world is autogenerated and, if possible, it should not be manually edited.
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, ppurka. I am very glad to learn that. I have followed your suggestion and restored the line I removed from /var/lib/portage/world (even though I did it manually) so it remains as it was before. I have also edited the package.keywords and to test, I then ran emerge -puDv --changed-use world and emerge --puDv --newuse world (just to see) and both came back saying that 0 packages would be merged. I guess that because I am just too literal that I generally have to have things spelled out for me until I feel more comfortable in new situations.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teegrins!

mark2 wrote:
I did not actually have a /etc/portage/package.keywords file. I now have it as well as a /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords file (had them confused).

If you actually mean you now have both files, that's quite redundant. I'll quote man portage:

Code:
package.accept_keywords and package.keywords
       Per-package ACCEPT_KEYWORDS.  Useful for mixing unstable packages in with a normally stable system or vice versa.
       This will allow ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to be augmented for a single package. If both package.accept_keywords and pack‐
       age.keywords are present, both of them will be used, and values from package.accept_keywords will override values
       from package.keywords. The package.accept_keywords file is intended to replace the package.keywords file, since pro‐
       files support a different form of package.keywords which modifies effective KEYWORDS (rather than ACCEPT_KEYWORDS).

That is, using both is not intended.

Also note that one often (usually?) takes their kernel-configuration with them to build new kernels with (make oldconfig); one can keep the old kernel just as well, so one need not worry about sticking to one certain version because of that.

As a side-note, if for any other reason you would like to modify the world-file, which one rarely should have to (normally shouldn't), emerge can do that, too. See options --noreplace and --deselect.

Just some thoughts!
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, too, is interesting. I had been reading about Portage in the handbook and had never looked at man portage. I have seen the --noreplace option, but not the --deselect option. I could not find reference to --deselect in man portage. What is its function?

I did test your suggestion by transferring the content of package.keywords to package.accept_keywords and the end result was the same: no packages to emerge.

On a side-note of my own: in the meantime I've installed LibreOffice. At the end, it specifies that if I plan to use lbase application, I should enable java to avoid various crashes. How do I determine if I have java enabled or not? I do not have the USE flag for it in my make.conf. Should I add that? First off, I am not sure what lbase is, unless they refer to the database part of the office suite.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, you would not find them from man portage but from the manual pages for emerge, that is, man emerge.

Plenty, if not most of the commands you will be using have these 'manual pages' that which you can check like so, or on-line via a browser.

As for the libre-java question, yes, I imagine the USE flag would do good for that purpose, but if you're not going to need it globally, I would recommend using the file /etc/portage/package.use for per-package setting. I would also suggest you take a peek at our wikki considering Java, if you haven't yet. ^^
One can also use equery from the package app-portage/gentoolkit to quickly check what each USE flag for a particular package does.

As for lbase, I can't really tell without looking it up, and looking it up tells me it has something to do with databases indeed, but I did not delve any further.
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that I do not have java installed. I have not found any reliable suggestions for adding the USE flag in /etc/portage/package.use. I put in USE="java nsplugin jce doc" into that file, and each one of those was rejected as an invalid atom. When I add java and nsplugin to my make.conf, I do not get any such error from running emerge -pv virtual/jre. Instead I see this:
Code:
emerge -pv virtual/jre
!!! CONFIG_PROTECT is empty

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/jpeg-6b-r9:62  603 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-java/java-config-wrapper-0.16  8 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-java/java-config-2.1.12-r1:2  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -python2_6 -python3_2 -python3_3" 48 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-java/icedtea-bin-6.1.12.7:6  USE="X alsa cups -cjk -doc -examples -nsplugin -source" 38,078 kB
[ebuild  N     ] virtual/jdk-1.6.0-r2:1.6  0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] virtual/jre-1.6.0-r1:1.6  0 kB

Total: 6 packages (6 new), Size of downloads: 38,735 kB

Since I don't see any obvious reason not to do this, I am tempted to proceed :?:

Edit: Done. Now running 64bit icedtea-bin-6 for java-nsplugin.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark2 wrote:
I put in USE="java nsplugin jce doc" into that file, and each one of those was rejected as an invalid atom.

Indeed that would an invalid atom make. The way they are entered in make.conf differs.

Let us imagine that you only have

Code:
USE="java nsplugin jce doc"

in make.conf, and you would do the following:

Code:
emerge foo

The result would be the same as if you added the flags on the command-line, like so:

Code:
USE="java nsplugin jce doc" emerge foo

This, however, is not how they are supposed to be used; it's merely an example, which does not 'record' the flags anywhere.
Enter make.conf and package.use.

The syntax for the latter would be something like this:

Code:
app-office/libreoffice java opengl -gtk -mysql

One can also define a single version (notice one atom per line):

Code:
>=app-emulation/wine-1.2.3 -fontconfig osmesa
=app-office/libreoffice-4.1.4.2 java opengl -gtk -mysql

As you might notice, it's the same as is for package.keywords (or package.accept_keywords... old habit).

One can find this explained via man portage as well. ^^

By the by...

mark2 wrote:
When I add java and nsplugin to my make.conf, I do not get any such error from running emerge -pv virtual/jre. Instead I see this:
Code:
emerge -pv virtual/jre

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies...

You might want to look at that CONFIG_PROTECT message, unless it's intentional.

If unintentional, here's a quickie (from topic: ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1 failed. emerge e2fspr [solved]):

skutnar wrote:
I noticed the following in your emerges:
Code:

Any particular reason for that? The default, at least on my system, is: CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config"

You may want to check that your profile is correct by re-picking your profile using "eselect profile" ("list" first, then use the number to "set")

If you have more questions about that, or anything else that is not directly related to this topic, I would implore you to create a new topic if need be (if searching yields no results).

It will be better found that way, and you'll probably get better help. ^^

That said, I hope this helps!

Apologies for any sleepy mistakes that might have come through unnoticed.
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that did help my understanding a bit more. Thank you. Re-checked my profile and it is set to default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop, as I understand it should be for my xfce4, slim, and systemd setup. So far it looks good. I will consider this closed and start new topics as needed.

Thanks once more.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: