Can't Boot Installation Media
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johncrist1988
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Can't Boot Installation Media Reply with quote

Greetings, all!

I am using an Acer V7-582PG-9856 and have been unable to boot any Linux media successfully for the past month. I've tried using Gentoo media, I've tried booting with Ubuntu media, and I've tried using SysRescue media. All attempts result in a black screen and no activity from the thumb drive.

I've disabled UEFI and set it to Legacy boot, I'm making sure it's pointed to only boot my thumb drive. The farthest I can get is where it shows that first screen saying SYSLINUX somethingsomethingsomething and then it freezes. I'm not entirely sure how I'd even get debugging information that early on.

Any advice anyone would have would be fantastic. I've searched the forums here finding the solution of SysLinux img's being bootable across literally everything, and other advice I've found involved needing an existing environment to build a custom bootable kernel and live environment, which I don't have.
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't Boot Installation Media Reply with quote

johncrist1988 wrote:
Greetings, all!

I am using an Acer V7-582PG-9856 and have been unable to boot any Linux media successfully for the past month. I've tried using Gentoo media, I've tried booting with Ubuntu media, and I've tried using SysRescue media. All attempts result in a black screen and no activity from the thumb drive.

I am assuming you have Windows 8 factory installed on the system now. I have zero experience with Windows 8 and have no plans on using it in the future. One of my systems is dual booting Gentoo and Windows 7 from a UFEI enabled system and I can boot Gentoo directly from the UFEI without an additional boot loader.

If Windows 8 is installed now then Secure Boot is most likely activated and trying to boot an alternative operating system will be difficult depending on the system and the UFEI setup. You will most likely have to disable Secure Boot first to be able to boot any other media. Dual booting Windows 8 and Linux is possible but not easy. A quick google search brought up several links on how to do it. Look HERE for one describing an Ubuntu install.

The newest SysRescueCD is capable of booting on a UFEI based system using GTP formatted disks which I believe Windows 8 also uses.

Good Luck
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: