Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New system bricked after X install please help....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braz2kuk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: New system bricked after X install please help.... Reply with quote

Hi All,

Firstly a bit of background i have a Macbook Pro (5,3) with OS X installed i repartitioned my drive as below using gparted:

/dev/sda1 EFI boot partition (boot flag true) FAT32
/dev/sda2 MAC OS X partition HFS
/dev/sda3 /boot partition ext2
/dev/sda4 / partition ext4
/dev/sda5 swap partition

I then successfully installed the lastest gentoo base system x86_64 and built my own kernel using gentoo-sources-3.10.25, I used rEFInd to boot my system and restarted after install to ensure everything worked and it did very happy :-)

My system profile is set as /13.0/gnome NOT /13.0/gnome/systemd i wanted to get a working system without systemd first and possibly upgrade in the future.

After i had installed and rebooted i updated my make.conf to include 'udev', 'X', 'gnome' and 'gtk' i also set the xorg driver to 'nvidia' in this .conf and also set my INPUT_DEVICES as 'udev' and 'synaptics'

I then proceeded to emerge 'xorg-server' it told me it was going to emerge a whole host of packages along with xorg-server and the nvidia-drivers i thought great and let it get with it's thing. After a successful install i ran env-update && source /etc/profile and rebooted.

To my horror on reboot i select Gentoo from within rEFInd and i see the system start to boot i get the white text on the screen and the last thing i see before i get a black screen is 'udev events'? my system continues to boot however with a black screen i cannot get rid of! I can blindly log into the system and reboot it however it look like i now need to go through the pains of a reinstall as i have bricked it.

Hopefully somebody on here can help with what i need to do to fix this.

Thanks in advance guys.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the "xdm" service turned on?

If so, you should boot from a livecd, mount -obind /proc, /sys and /dev just like when installing. Do the chroot step, and from there remove that service (you really shouldn't enable it until you are confident that X works at all).

Code:
$ rc-update del xdm

This way, we can see if you are able to boot into command line.

If not, then we need to know if you have configured kms, framebuffer, bootsplash or some other insanity. Also, note that binary blobs (such as nvidia) are 100% incompatible with any other driver, kms, framebuffer, or any other nvidia driver in your kernel. So, disable all that stuff if you have it enabled, recompile and reinstall your kernel, and reboot.

While you are at it, you can install ssh and add it to the default runlevel, so that you can remotely log in into your machine from other computer and you won't need a livecd and chroot to operate it, since your box seems to work leaving aside the fact that you can't see anything.
braz2kuk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response i have removed xdm from the startup however on reboot cannot get into a command line either.

In my kernel i have not included frame buffer support nor have included any nvidia or noveu drivers, in terms of KMS i may have enabled this what options would be selected if i have? I equipped my kernel with systemd options for the future for when i switch to systemd i take it i should not have done this?

Thanks in advance
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booting in efi mode my MacMini with propr. nvidia-drivers I ever have had a blacked console and just X
Using nouveau results in a crash with cold boot but proper warm reboots the system.
I am pretty desperate like you :(

(this hasn't todo with systemd or openrc,
I tried also to reinstall the system,
my Debian~unstable-siduction is able to boot,
but using that kernel on Gentoo has same effects,
my workaround is hybrid mbr bios compatible boot)
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

braz2kuk wrote:
In my kernel i have not included frame buffer support nor have included any nvidia or noveu drivers,

You absolutely need efi framebuffer

Quote:
I equipped my kernel with systemd options for the future for when i switch to systemd i take it i should not have done this?

Shouldn't matter, it is only the "modern" features of linux enabled.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: