Python support for 'media-libs/alsa-lib'
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paradigm-X
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Python support for 'media-libs/alsa-lib' Reply with quote

I am challenged with getting sound to work in a KVM/Qemu guest running Gentoo with XFCE. But I am determined as well, and eventually I expect to reach a Eureka moment. To that end I must ask a question or two in between tufts of hair.

Looking at the information here, https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA , near the top in the section about USE flags for emerge of alsa-lib, I see that one of these is "python". On this system I see that the alsa-lib was installed with two python-related USE flags, namely:

python_single_target_python2_7
python_targets_python2_7

However, the plain "python" USE flag was not set, apparently, when it emerged; nor were any of the others. I don't really recall setting either of these two, and I suspect that they were utilized by default (based on a profile?), and that this package emerged as a dependency. Now I am wondering whether I should simply re-emerge alsa-lib using the plain python flag.

Additionally, clearly I assume that sound will work on a Qemu guest running 64-bit Linux Gentoo, not having found an indication otherwise. I did find numerous references suggesting that the 64-bit Windows guest of Qemu would not have sound support, but it was not clear from what I found that this condition was still true. Any insight about this situation would be welcome. :)
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is the default not to enable python support. If you need it, just re-emerge with the python use flag set.

As for the python_*target flags: Those are used to explicitly select a python interpreter to compile aggainst. For example, if you explicitly want to use a speciftic python version, or a different implementation like pypy. That can be done by setting PYTHON_TARGET etc. variable in /etc/portage/make.conf. You normally should not need to deal with them though.

Here is the documentation for that: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/Python/python-r1/user-guide.xml
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: