[RESOLVED] opengl molecules in gmolden are black
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wazoo42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: [RESOLVED] opengl molecules in gmolden are black Reply with quote

I emerged molden 5.0 and the structures using molden are fine. Even when I just use the default line representation in gmolden the atom colors are ok. However, when I choose ball and stick or space filling in gmolden all of the atoms and bonds immediately go black. I have fglrx 13.9 and the latest xorg-server. I have tried re-emerging molden, and making sure opengl is set to ati using eselect. However none of this fixes the issue. Any thoughts?

Last edited by wazoo42 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
wazoo42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: When I use freenx to login to this node remotely I do not have the same issue. Using gmolden renders molecules properly with both ball and stick and space filling options.

Update #2: I thought I would try something silly to see if any remote connection would be a workaround. From the computer in question I used ssh -Y to connect to a nearby linux box, and then I used ssh -Y to get back. When I run gmolden I have the same issue of the molecule turning black.

Update #3: I emerged an older version of molden, 4.8, and it worked flawlessly. This looks to be a problem with fglrx and an update put into molden-5.0.
wazoo42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking with one of the devs, it sounds like a shader problem and the freenx work around exists because shaders are turned off when molden is run remotely. This isn't really a fix, but a work around that is simple enough, but the -U flag turns off the shaders.

Code:

gmolden -U
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: