Using xdg-open to open MS Word files
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirlark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Using xdg-open to open MS Word files Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have MS Word 2007 installed in it's own wine prefix for work documents. Sadly, my place of employment is a firmly Microsoft shop, although I use Linux exclusively at home. It runs, it works, the only thing I can't figure out is how to integrate it with my desktop, specifically, when click on a doc file in my file manager or browser I would like it to open the doc in Ms Word. Depending on the application, presently doing either does nothing, or starts Word with a blank document. Ideally, I'd like to use xdg-open to do this, but I can't figure out how xdg-open

a) determines that it should use word/wine
b) passes the filename (which is presumably not working in the case of blank documents)

All help appreciated
Thanks
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Using xdg-open to open MS Word files Reply with quote

sirlark wrote:
Hi All,

I have MS Word 2007 installed in it's own wine prefix for work documents. Sadly, my place of employment is a firmly Microsoft shop, although I use Linux exclusively at home. It runs, it works, the only thing I can't figure out is how to integrate it with my desktop, specifically, when click on a doc file in my file manager or browser I would like it to open the doc in Ms Word. Depending on the application, presently doing either does nothing, or starts Word with a blank document. Ideally, I'd like to use xdg-open to do this, but I can't figure out how xdg-open

a) determines that it should use word/wine
b) passes the filename (which is presumably not working in the case of blank documents)

All help appreciated
Thanks

xdg-open users the mime database, specifically, you can "associate" a given mime type to a given .desktop file.

.desktop files are plain text files which contains info about programs that are "handlers" for some file type(s). In Gentoo, they live under /usr/share/applications/. You probably have some wine-*.desktop files in there if you have wine installed.

You can use the regular "%f" and "%u" placeholders to pass arguments to the programs represented by a given desktop file. Just taking a look in the .desktop files that are already there should be enlightening in this regard.

Besides having a handler, you need a way to associate it to a given file type, and that would be xdg-mime. For example, to associate the image/jpeg mime type to feh, you'd do:

Code:
xdg-mime default feh.desktop image/jpeg

You should also be able to use your DE mime mechanism, I can't guide you in that cause I don't use DE's, but it should be straightforward.

In the case that you are using a DE, you should also be able to just create a wrapper shell script to handle a given file type, for example, you could create something like this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

WINE_PREFIX=$HOME/fooobarmoocow
wine progname.exe "$@"

Then chmod it +x, and associate it to the given file type. Any extra parameter will be passed to the program, so that should work. But since I am not into wine :lol: I haven't tested this :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: