Install Gentoo on Phone?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wizumwalt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Install Gentoo on Phone? Reply with quote

I have an android phone (HTC One) with Snapdragon 600, quad-core, 1.7GHz processor and feel comfortable working with Gentoo on all of my desktops.

I don't trust all the junk on this phone by my provider and was wondering if I could clean it all off by putting Gentoo on it, and yet still be able to use it as a phone (or make some kind of use from it). If thats a possibility, please inform. And maybe a few getting started links if at all possible. I'd be curious to know what type of GUI I'd end up with as well.

Any help much appreciated.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first question that come in mind is 'Do you or can you have the root previleges access on that Android phone?'. Everything I read about embedded Linux on Android phones say it's conditionnal to the possibility to root them or them being rooted.

Last edited by Logicien on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Wizumwalt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this link I found, its seems I should have no problems rooting it. So yes.

http://www.cultofandroid.com/26527/rooting-the-htc-one-the-right-way-how-to/
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried several techniques that came from the Net to root my Samsung Galaxy Ace, I have never been able. So be sure your cellular is rooted before trying anything else.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should be careful about replacing the OS of your phone. In particular, you need to make sure that the telephony stuff itself (the main purpose of carrying around a "phone") will work after you replace it with gentoo.
Wizumwalt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
I think you should be careful about replacing the OS of your phone. In particular, you need to make sure that the telephony stuff itself (the main purpose of carrying around a "phone") will work after you replace it with gentoo.

Heh, that's exactly what I'm trying to do with these posts. I was hoping to understand if its doable and what it would take to get it done before I try anything at all.

I am pretty disappointed with my first smart phone after having "just a phone" forever. Does so much that I don't care to do, and I'm tried of seeing updates and data transfers that I keep turning off. So I want to run it and know it like I do my desktop.
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Be careful and enjoy! Reply with quote

You have an HTC, maybe this help: [LINUX] Gentoo on your Desire (tutorial)

See also:
[DEV accnounce]Gentoo on Android
[WEBTOP DEV] EternityProject GenTop v0.0.6 PRE-BETA -- Unleash your Gentoo!

Seems there is some people trying to create specific distros for HTC phone too:
Linux port to the HTC Smartphones

Your phone will become an smartphone after this! ;-)
olek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really really won't be able to replace android with gentoo and still have phone functionality.
All those posted tutorials are describing how to run gentoo in a chroot or are more of proof of concept (see the status page of "Linux port to the HTC Smartphones ": http://vivien.chappelier.free.fr/typhoon/status.html )

What you are probably looking for is a custom ROM, a modified anroid version free of manufacturer/ provider footprints. Cyanogenmod could be a good first try.

Greetings
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olek wrote:
You really really won't be able to replace android with gentoo and still have phone functionality.
All those posted tutorials are describing how to run gentoo in a chroot or are more of proof of concept (see the status page of "Linux port to the HTC Smartphones ": http://vivien.chappelier.free.fr/typhoon/status.html )

What you are probably looking for is a custom ROM, a modified anroid version free of manufacturer/ provider footprints. Cyanogenmod could be a good first try.

Greetings

Partially agreed... you won't run Gentoo in a chroot, you will run it parallel to android.

Quote:
Gentoo on Android[1] is a project to run Gentoo natively (non-chrooted) in a directory prefix in parallel to (instead of dual boot) Android.
source: [DEV accnounce]Gentoo on Android
olek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Partially agreed... you won't run Gentoo in a chroot, you will run it parallel to android.

ok, that might serve it's own purposes, but it won't change or replace the existing android installation as well, hence there'll still be
Quote:
all the junk on this phone

rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he won't have a clean Gentoo install. But will have Gentoo features and will be able to remove junk manually.
lordalbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudregues wrote:
Yes, he won't have a clean Gentoo install. But will have Gentoo features and will be able to remove junk manually.

Is only having gentoo tools (portage) on an android phone?
You could remove junk also without installing Gentoo, but only with rooted android (linux system)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: