BlueTooth Speaker Setups....They all require apps
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dman777
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: BlueTooth Speaker Setups....They all require apps Reply with quote

I am looking to use one of those blue tooth speaker systems like Sonos. The only issue is that they have their own apps. I don't want to use Wine or some kind of virtual enviroment to run the app. Any suggestions?
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo Bluetooth Wiki. See Desktop Integration.
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
Telemin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Can you find yourself a speaker that supports pure A2DP? I have had success using bluetooth headphones via A2DP in the past. A seemingly up to date tutorial is available on the wiki for this. Downsides are that no metadata is passed through if you wanted this displayed on a screen of some type. Perhaps a friend has one of these that you can test, or a trip to the local (best buy/currys/location appropriate tech store) with your laptop to do some testing before you buy?

Beyond that there is perhaps the possibility of taking alternate approaches to the same goal of ~wireless speaker. For example, are you able to go the route of headless pulseaudio server on say a raspberry pi + some normal speaker(s) which accept a line level input? This is my current approach to audio playback, although it does require at minimum a reliable wireless network to connect everything.

A further route to go down is some DLNA type player + appropriate server somewhere.

As I have no knowledge of your particular situation I am unable to offer more specific advice, but please let us know how you get on! This kind of hardware is woefully under supported on linux at the moment, so please document your successes somewhere for those who follow:)

Good Luck

-Telemin-

P.S @eyoung100

eyoung100 wrote:

I don't see how a pair of links to packages.gentoo.org really helps the situation. Please give posters the benefit of the doubt that they have done some basic research into the topic at hand, at least until proved otherwise. In any case, simply posting "read the wiki" helps nobody.

Peace

-Telemin-
hephooey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use pulseaudio and bluez it probably works out of box. I have been use a bluetooth receiver (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Speaker-Adapter-Bluetooth/dp/B004VM1T5S) connected to my speaker for years now, I also have several headset with A2DP/HSP they all works fine. If both your computer and your spearker support bluetooth there should be no problem paring/using them (There are proprietary codecs like apt-x linux does not support, but sbr is good enough for my ear). Just make sure you have bluetooth in USE when emerging the relevant packages you should be fine. For higher level software I use KDE, so bluedevil+kmix is the obvious choice. After pairing the device the output sink appears automatically in kmix, then I can route audio to/from it on the fly. I assume other DE like gnome have similar tools.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telemin wrote:

P.S @eyoung100

eyoung100 wrote:

I don't see how a pair of links to packages.gentoo.org really helps the situation. Please give posters the benefit of the doubt that they have done some basic research into the topic at hand, at least until proved otherwise. In any case, simply posting "read the wiki" helps nobody.

Peace

-Telemin-

I'll heed your advice, but I didn't post the Wiki to post the Wiki, I posted to show the OP that contrary to his statement that they only have native Windows Apps, that the Wiki shows otherwise, much like hephooey is pointing out regarding bluez
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: