Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Trolling? Maybe. Guidelines Violations? Definitely.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monicajae
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Trolling? Maybe. Guidelines Violations? Definitely. Reply with quote

venomfang wrote:
I have just started to take the dive into gentoo.
I have found the documentation to be very good, except around use flags for portage.

My question is what is the best way to deal with them? Does portage automatically add the appropriate use flags when installing software with emerge?

Seperating only needed use flags for each app would sound the best, but that looks like a lot of work.

Fucking REALLY???!!!! The documentation SUCKS ASS. The manuals reflect CFLAGS which are pretty much obsolete. the Gentoo wiki? shows CFLAGS for i3, 4, 5, and 686 cpus! come the fuck on. do you own a machine that employs an i486 cpu? or even a pentium M for that matter? i am willing to bet NO. and if you do, that's a pretty sad case, considering one can buy a used dual core laptop for about a hundred bucks. that's about 14 hours at the current minimum wage rate. and i'm being generous in my calculations there.

I don't know who you're trying to impress with your "oh the install blablabla is pretty good". i'd like to know what planet you're from. actually, i'm ok. i don't need to know.

Split from use flags, best practices for Forum Guidelines violations. — JRG

"Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly." -- John F. Kennedy
monicajae
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, i mean the march/mcpu variables. please EDIT to reflect i3, i5, and i7 processors?? PLEEEAAASSSEEEEE???
monicajae
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

666threesixes666 wrote:
stevel can you please fix this?

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/USE_flag

you clearly know use flags much better than i do.... my understanding is hierarchy of profile setting a bunch of use flags that i don't know about, then make.conf, then package.use

LOL

oh man...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: