Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can't access GRUB menu to change password.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DejoMasters
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Can't access GRUB menu to change password. Reply with quote

I found an old computer that runs Gentoo from 2006. I want to see what's on it before installing a new OS, so I looked up how to change the password. I found instructions saying I had to boot it in single user mode and edit the code to enter a new password. The first step was, on start up, to press esc and select the kernel to edit. The only problem is when I try and enter the GRUB menu by pressing escape on startup, what would usually take me to the GRUB menu takes me to a blank screen with only an underscore, like I was about to write code, but it doesn't flash and after about two minutes the computer freezes completely. Is there any onther way to reset the password, and if not how do I access my GRUB menu?
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the instructions in the Gentoo handbook to mount the root filesystem to /mnt/gentoo Be sure and skip the formatting section. Then from inside the chroot eith look whats on the disk or type grub to access the grub menu
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: