Pulseaudio and ACPID, and root user.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrankyPenguin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Pulseaudio and ACPID, and root user. Reply with quote

I'm currently trying to integrate pulseaudio into my system. I had previously setup ACPID to toggle the mute settings on my soundcard using:
Code:

m) amixer set Master toggle;;

The catch is now I have Pulseaudio running and the default sound object is the PulseAudio card. When I run the above command via acpid it is all too happy to mute the Master volume on the Pulseaudio card as well as the Master volume and speaker volume of my Intel HDA PCH hardware soundcard. When I attempt to unmute it, however, it only unmutes the hardware card and not the PulseAudio card. The volume up/down work fine via the commands:

Code:

-) amixer set Master $step-;;

+) amixer set Master $step+;;

I have found some posts on other user forums (e.g. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/878986) which indicate that this might be a bug/feature of PulseAudio with the authors of PulseAudio saying that they will not fix it. However those are relatively old posts.

It is also possible that the problem is related to access to PulseAudio. When I try to access the card as the root user I get the following error:

Code:

(root) actions # amixer -D pulse info
ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

amixer: Control device pulse open error: Connection refused

All that I really want is to be able to play my audio and mute/unmute via the keyboard as I have previously. In other respects piping audio via PulseAudio is working fine. Thus what I need are suggestions on how to resolve the ACPI issue. Thanks.

EDIT I found this thread on the pulseaudio forums. It suggests that the error arises from a difference in viewpoints. Pulseaudio responds to acpi events but does not respond to all of them. This problem affects xfce users as well. As I read it, in the viewpoint of the pulseaudio devs other applications should go through pulseaudio to do their business and thus they are not motivated to fix this issue. I will therefore entertain advice on how to simply get rid of pulseaudio.

Last edited by CrankyPenguin on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
haarp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Pulseaudio is too stupid to unmute properly, but will mute happily. It's a huge pain in the posterior.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: