View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtmace
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 3:42 pm    Post subject: SNES9x Reply with quote

Hey guys.

Anyone gotten SNES9x to work with Gentoo? It seems they only let you download binaries from the website (snes9x.com). After downloading and trying to run it get the message
Code:
./snes9x: error while loading shared libraries: libXxf86dga.so.1: cannot open shared object files: No such file or directory

I know that i am missing some X compatibility librarires, but not really sure which ones (Xv and Xxfdga I believe). Is there an easy way to emerge a package that will fix this problem. And if not, what sources do I need to download from the web to get this up and running.. I'm dying to play some Final Fantasy 6.

Thanks.
JTMACE
jtmace
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Snes9x Reply with quote

Me again..

BTW if I try to load RPM support on my machine and just install a binary package will that fix the problem? I emerged RPM and got the snes9x package but to non avail. its saying I'm missing about 20 packages that i know should already be installed on my system.. Packages like 'ld'. Is RPM saying those packages are not installed because they were not installed as RPMs?

Thx again.
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what you can do to fix snes9x but might i recommend zsnes? it's mucho better. besides, the code for snes9x comes from zsnes, so they're essentially the same thing. just that in my experiences on both linux and windows ports, zsnes is far superior.

and when i emerged it, it worked "out-of-the-box" with all my games. the only problem i had with it was that /dev/dsp wasn't allowed for my user, but that's easily fixable.

ryan
jtmace
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Tryed that Reply with quote

Yeah, I figured that might be a pretty good fix myself, but it segfaults as soon as you try to load up any rom. It also segfaults when the program exits, if you dont load up a rom. It gave me the error -SDL parachute deployed' (or something along that line).

I prefer the SNES9X emulator because it will render using OpenGL. I have yet to see that option with zsnes, the best one is SuperEagle mode.

I've been researching the problem more and have pin pointed the problem. When I originally emerged X11 it compiled with no DGA extension. I have messed around with the make.conf file in the /etc directory and recompiled X11 with what i thought was the DGA extensions, but upon restarting on my new X11 binaries I have the same problem.
jtmace
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Der Reply with quote

Ok, when download snes9x from their website i always downloaded the binary package.. Well i finally found the source packages, compiled them and now everything runs great..

(for those who are installing snes9x make sure to edit the Makefile to use OpenGL for rendering.. )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: